logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:43:03 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I would like to strongly suggest that there becomes an ability to edit existing curves to morph/adjust themselves to their adjacent counterpart.

If I import a 3D polylines model, work on it for weeks, run into a bad line, and decide I must fix it in the source file and not in or not just in VCP, It means that a lot of my model. Since slightly altering one curve entails modifying numerous others, it is not a light decision to dump weeks of work in VCP.

So, I'd like to fix my curves in the hull modeling program, then dump them to a new 3D DXF file, then import that into VCP. Then, I could color-code or tag them as "new curves" and tell VCP to find all waterlines highlighted from the existing layer and match them up with their guides residing in the just-imported DXF lines. In order to not make it a very huge problem, I would be perfectly happy just modifying 2 or 10 curves at a time, but not one-by-one. I don't expect to say "find all and match all, NOW!" since it also entails adjusting meshes and surfaces.

The old curves might be only millimeters or centimeters "off", but are a huge hydrodynamics and plate curvature pain if not dealt with.

This is the closest idea I can come up with to cope with the painful lack of any two-way plug-in or API facility between CAD companies and hull modelers.

To restate:

I'd import new waterline curves to act as guides for the existing but erroneous waterlines curves. I'd click on a set to be adjusted, and click on a set that will be the "be-like" curves. VCP/Shark would NOT change the layers of either sets of lines. It would only change the curvature of one set to match another.

This could amount to being a HUGE time saver. Since 2008, I've probably dumped a model every few months, only to start over, only to by hand re-enter thousands (maybe just hundreds) of layers over time, and that mainly because of VCP's very limited layer tree structure which needs an overhaul to make layer entity searching and reorganizing less tedious. Moving by the click/shift method feels easy on the first move, but when it lands in the wrong place, it is woefully hit-and-miss for me to move it a subsequent time. So, I either undo and leave it alone, or undo and right-click innumerable times to move a layer up or down, only to be limited by what tree it's in.

The combination of these two could amount to lots of time saving.