logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
la mouche  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2009 10:00:07 AM(UTC)
la mouche

hello,

Tim?

possible to provide a [COLOR="Red"]parametric[/COLOR] library of screw?

See the attach files please.

Best regards

Antoine
la mouche attached the following image(s):
screw.jpg (141kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2009 4:00:46 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Funny- this exact topic is being discussed for Rhino OSX right now- probably to appear as a plug-in.

The problem with this though, is that helix based extrusions mean a lot of calculations, making not only big files, but slow models. Most of the time I make my own bolts/ screws and nuts without the helix.

Personally I'd much prefer to see the Hole Feature in VC/ Shark improved so that I could choose standard hole sizes- like M8 or M3 etc etc. :D
unique  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:18:34 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
Personally I'd much prefer to see the Hole Feature in VC/ Shark improved so that I could choose standard hole sizes- like M8 or M3 etc etc. :D

Don't agree with you Tom. We manufacture moulds of all types and use from M5 upto M20 fixings, even though there are "standards" like you say for each size, they are rarely used in many toolrooms (too much clearance). Having the ability to customize is very handy indeed.

I have a script in Rhino for building holes and fasteners, this is also customizable which helps for each specific job. You should switch to a proper OS and I will share them with you :D :p
ttrw  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:34:32 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Fine Paul. You are of course welcome to your opinion. You can of course, adjust tolerance to see fit.

As for your scripts, when Rhino is officially released for Mac OSX, it will work with all scripts made for this software, regardless of platform. Lastly these OS taunts are getting rather tiring/ long in the tooth. Can you please kindly refrain from this? Like Jol quite rightly said before, just be pleased that there is a choice here for your platform. :)
zumer  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 9:03:28 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post

The problem with this though, is that helix based extrusions mean a lot of calculations, making not only big files, but slow models.

True. The only real exception is if you were building a model to be RPd, and the RP machine were good enough to resolve the size thread you've nominated, a parametric screw has a practical function. But then, once you've got your parametric function in there, a little 'un's as easy as a big 'un. PunchCAD's competitor TurboCAD has the function, and I've never used it for anything but the RP instance and presentation renders. And the RP instance is of limited use because plastic screws of that size are usually ACME, which TC doesn't do.... From memory, Autodesk uses a graphical thread representation on a cylinder to reduce graphics memory usage in Inventor. The file knows it's a thread, but doesn't bother to use a true form to minimise memory impact. The pix show HL and wireframe, and even wireframe is a graphics monster.
zumer attached the following image(s):
iso.JPG (43kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
ortho.JPG (29kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

zumer  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 9:16:13 PM(UTC)
zumer

Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
Don't agree with you Tom. We manufacture moulds of all types and use from M5 upto M20 fixings, even though there are "standards" like you say for each size, they are rarely used in many toolrooms (too much clearance). Having the ability to customize is very handy indeed.

What circumstance brings that about? Why not use dowels with standard fasteners?
Tim Olson  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 10:18:07 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Hi Antoine,

We've licensed a mechanical library but have not deployed it yet. Not sure when we will deploy as it's huge with several million parts.

How much interest is there in a mechanical part library?

FYI, the fasteners in this library do not have threads. If we were to add threads they would probably be cosmetic threads.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
ttrw  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:34:04 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
Hi Antoine,

We've licensed a mechanical library but have not deployed it yet.

WHAAAT??! :eek:

Yes Please Tim!! :D

Like I said before, give us designers an option. Not all of us want to produce pretty models (well strike that- I suppose we all do really). Ashlar Vellum and TC were the only options left for us Mac users which were geared (sorry- pun!) also to engineers- and they were written by you! lol!

What other licences have you got stashed away there?? :confused:
jol  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:52:21 AM(UTC)
jol

perhaps it could be made available as a separate download ?
ttrw  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:53:20 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: jol Go to Quoted Post
perhaps it could be made available as a separate download ?

Yes I agree. A bit like how AutoCAD comes in different flavours?
jdi000  
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2009 5:25:44 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post

We've licensed a mechanical library but have not deployed it yet. Not sure when we will deploy as it's huge with several million parts.

FYI, the fasteners in this library do not have threads. If we were to add threads they would probably be cosmetic threads.

Tim

Tim

Yes the library would be a nice option.

Thanks

Jason
Windows 11, 10
Gary  
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:24:07 AM(UTC)
Gary

I agree access to the library would be good.

I also think with out a reasonable front end (useable preview of symbols and identifiable names) it can be almost useless. Cobalt had a big symbol library with no front end and was more trouble than it was worth.

So yes, access to symbols, but I would vote to wait for well integrated access.

Gary
NickB  
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:12:06 AM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
A mechanical parts library would be good and i would definitely be interested even at an extra cost item. Even better if I could buy just he libraries I needed, when I needed them. Cosmetic treads are fine 95% of the time. The other thing I have seen / used is non helical treaded models in which screws are represented with the size of the tread, but in concentric rings. This has the advantage of lighter weight, while still allowing you to see exactly what is threaded and what is not.

Most of the mechanical parts libraries I have seen are stuffed full of linear actuators, pneumatic doodads and rolled steel beam sections. What I would be most interested in is a fastener library that as well as containing all styles of nuts and bolts also contained thread forming and thread cutting fasteners and threaded inserts for use in both plastic and sheet metal (PEM fasteners).
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
Redss  
#14 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2009 8:53:19 AM(UTC)
Redss

I order a CD from charlottepipe it came about 3 weeks ago.
I use it all the time now after I made somewhat of a library in VD.
I bring them in as a ACIS SAT right now
The good thing is it is FREE
https://shop.charlottepipe.com/l...ategoryid=26&startpage=1
Redss attached the following image(s):
Shot29.jpg (27kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

ttrw  
#15 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2009 11:02:26 AM(UTC)
ttrw

This is very true Redss, and thanks for the tip, but I also agree with Gary, if there is to be a library function, this really needs a front end. If a CD, such as this one, can be imported, that library front end would be very useful.
la mouche  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 4:24:47 AM(UTC)
la mouche

hello,

Tim?

you asked me the value of having a library of hardware integrated into SharkFX.

As an industrial designer, I am often called to develop design solutions including components.

All CAD designers know that screws generate different design depending on the choice and implementation of this hardware.

That is why it is vital to have this catalog of symbols in a flexible and intuitive.

For now I have a library of relatively simple hardware, non-parametric, but I am satisfied so far. include in SharkFX.

I based the question of a possible availability thereof included in your software, because I already have one that works perfectly.

You can see in the screenshot below, the aesthetics of the screw is simplified, and I think this is sufficient for many applications, in waiting for? maybe? a display of thread lightly.

! Frankly, I do not understand the value of this symbol library (see image "symbol" )....!!!

basics 3d components would be much more useful!

If you make a choice among the billions of components, please select, the basic components as conventional screws nuts, it would be a HUGE advantage.

Attention also not fall into the excessive technicality! Your software is primarily intended for industrial designers, not engineers:)

In any case, I congratulate you for your work.

SharkFX is truly an extraordinary CAD, and also for the world of education, I see every week with my design students.

It's missing some modules or improvements, in my opinion the primary to make it unbeatable:)

settings perspectives. http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=2028
cages on solid deformation. http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=1964
editing operation on 3D models in opengl>>> in real time.
symbol libraries useful ... ...
storage of materials (records) belonging to fichier.http: / / forum.punchcad.com / showthread.php? t = 1991
ergonomics of the record.
--- A real overhaul of the module of formal technical ago --- encire REALLY bugs too!
the detection of normal 3D model and their use in CAD, I think the bijouterie.http: / / forum.punchcad.com / showthread.php? t = 1963
http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=1971
http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=2126
http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=1966
http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=1970
http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=1997
http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=1969
http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=2105
http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=1965 OOOhhh Yes!!
http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=1988
http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=1987 oohhh ouiiiiii!! 2

Cordialy.

Antoine
la mouche attached the following image(s):
screw.jpg (141kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
symbol.jpg (124kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

ttrw  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:40:13 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: la mouche Go to Quoted Post

Attention also not fall into the excessive technicality! Your software is primarily intended for industrial designers, not engineers:)

Well that's a shame, because I am primarily an engineer. Industrial design is the icing on the cake. There is no use having something that looks nice- but has terrible function is there? :rolleyes:
la mouche  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 10:06:44 AM(UTC)
la mouche

olala... d©sol© mon anglais est mauvais et la traduction Google ne peux pas refl©ter mes opinions correctement.

Voii mon explication en franais:

Quote:
Well that's a shame, because I am primarily an engineer. Industrial design is the icing on the cake. There is no use having something that looks nice- but has terrible function is there?

A mon avis...le design est bien plus, que la cerise sur le gteau....

Je ne suis pas un ing©nieur, mais j'ai besoin des ing©nieurs :)

Je fais la distinction entre le designer "styliste"

et le designer "industriel", dont je fais partie.

Ma devise: forme-fonction, devise d'ailleurs ©tant le fondement mme de la grande ©cole du "Bahaus"

La d©marche du designer industriel, prend en compte tout les apects inh©rents la profession tels que: ergonomie, faisabilit©, aspect ©conomiques, culturels, et...esth©tique :)

La cerise comme tu le dis, est pour le designer industriel, une "r©sultante"
de tout bons produits bien pens©s et ayant pris en compte tous les aspects cit©s plus haut.

Quand je propose des am©liorations ergonomiques ou fonctionelles pour SharkFX, c'est toujours avec la mme pr©ocupation de simplicit© et d'intuitivit© qui fait la force du soft. Je n'aimerai pas personnellement un SharkFX ressemblant un SW, qui mon avis est plus proche de l'approche conceptuelle d'un ing©nieur.

Tim, l'a bien d©crit une fois, SharkFX est plus un CCAD que un CAD...

Cordialement.

Antoine
jol  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 10:57:52 AM(UTC)
jol

oh .. and I thought it was for - 'any of numerous elongate, mostly marine carnivorous fishes with heterocercal caudal fins and tough skin covered with small toothlike scales'

: )
ttrw  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2009 12:13:11 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Quote:
In my opinion ... the design is much more than the icing on the cake ....

I am not an engineer, but I need engineers

I make the distinction between designer "designer"

designer and the "industrial", myself included.

My motto: shape-based currency also was the foundation of the high school "Bahaus"

The industrial designer's approach takes into account all apects inherent in the profession such as: usability, feasibility, economic, cultural, and aesthetic ...

The cherry as you say, is for the industrial designer, a "result"
any good products well designed and taking into account all aspects mentioned above.

When I suggest improvements for functional or ergonomic SharkFX is always with the same worry of simplicity and intuitiveness that makes the strength of soft. I do not personally like a SharkFX SW, which I think is closer to the conceptual approach of an engineer.

Tim, was once well described, SharkFX CCAD is more than a CAD ...

Best regards.

Antoine
(translation many thanks to Easy Translator for Mac and PC- http://www.acetools.net :) )

Antoine,

First of all- Yes it is true (I remember?) that Tim initially intended SFX as a Industrial Design CAD- but I'm one of those very rare breed of engineer who loves Macintosh computers- not just their aesthetic design, but for the way their operating system works/ has been designed.

Anyway, a great CAD should appeal to all types of designer/ engineer and not just a select few or more specifically a particular market. Having SFX on both major platforms is great. So therefore, wouldn't it would be wonderful if SFX could attract both of us- designer and engineer. We could conquer the world?!!! :D

Lastly, you should carry on posting in French, because your English, can appear to be rather funny in translation (no offence!), but as you can see, this is much better :)