logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
maguz  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:37:11 PM(UTC)
maguz

Hi, as you can see from the screenshots, once ViaCAD Pro v.9.0.0 build 1103 opens, it creates a second icon in the dock of OSX 10.9.1 with a different application name. I think it's a small bug.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
macnavi  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 24, 2014 3:45:39 PM(UTC)
macnavi

Netherlands

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Not only that. If you click on ViaCad again, it will open a second version.

Generally I find it very buggy. Even checking if there is an update doesn't work. I reverted back to v8. There I know at least what I shouldn't do for it to crash. It's like working with an early beta version.
My model steam trams at Tramfabriek.nl

Mac OS X El Capitan 10.12.5 - VC Pro v12
G__  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:58:58 PM(UTC)
G__

Launching ViaCAD now opens another (hidden) application here:

~/.gs5/Punch ViaCAD 2D3D v9.app

I looked inside the package, it just seems to contain nothing but links back to the real ViaCAD package in the Applications folder. I don™t see the point. It is not normal behaviour for a Mac Application.

If you use the Dock to open it, it works, but then if you want to switch back to it by the Dock, you have to click on the new app that opens. If you click on the dock icon you placed, it will open a second instance of ViaCAD, which is NOT normal on a Mac. If you keep doing this, only the first two instances get a ViaCAD icon (with the circle symbol on top) after this you get generic app icons with the circle.

If you use Alfred or spotlight to open ViaCAD by typing the first few letters of its name, it will work, but if you try to switch to an already open ViaCAD, it will open a new instance, which is not good.

Command-Tab for switching apps works when ViaCAD is already open, although you see the icon with the grey circle with a diagonal line through it over the icon . It should be up to the user to choose the method of switching, not having to work around a developer that wants to think different. I might use the Dock icon if my hand is on the mouse, or Alfred if I™m typing at the time.

I've seen other bugs, I'll report them separately,

Gordon
G__ attached the following image(s):
ViaCAD 9 icon.png (49kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2014 10:48:29 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Longshot question:

Is there ANY possiblity that the binary you downloaded was Trojaned and that you've got a compromized executable? If so, the think could be a beacon back to somewhere OTHER than Punch.

Just a longshot question. MITM attacks can be very sophisticated these days. One nice reason for working offline once I have got the app I paid for, just in case OTHER rogue apps somehow find their way on my machine.

It is one reason that if I ever start a company, production machines will never be allowed onto a WAN or the internet, even through firewalls. Kiosk machines will be set up for int/ext comms, and anyone connecting a workstation or unapproved device to the LAN will be terminated. NQA.

May be overboard, but no LAN admin is so smart or skilled as to thwart EVERY intrusion.

The biggest flaw in my plan, though, is unless the office is a faraday cage, there are multiple other ways to get at the machines from the street side.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2014 10:49:57 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 25 post(s)
You may want to consider sending to Tim a hardcopy of your binaries and of anything in the file path related to Punch so they can forensically verify you haven't been intruded upon.
Tim Olson  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2014 10:12:24 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 353 post(s)
This may be Encore's DRM. I provide the executable and they add a DRM solution which is embedded with the package.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore