logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
blowlamp  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2012 3:33:24 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

I'd like to request a tune-up for this tool.

I recently wanted to model the ball shaped end of an Allen Key (Hex Key), like in the attached picture and the Rail Revolve Surface tool would have been perfect for the job.

However, because the rail revolve path can only consist of one curve, this means the hexagon has to be converted to a spline.

Now this may or may not be important to the next part, but when the profile curve is then revolved around the 'hexagon', I find that the path taken for the surface edge is only an approximation of the drawn shape and isn't suitable for further working where accuracy is important.

So can the tool be made to work precisely with single or multiple curves for the revolve path, even if this means it has to work section by section and then join to create the full surface?

Martin.
blowlamp attached the following image(s):
Allen_wrench_with_ball_end_1.jpg (62kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Tem  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 12:07:04 AM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Create cylinder that is longer than you need by a few millimeters.
Create a profile that approximates the flat facet /side, offset it from the center axis of the hex key cylinder the distance of the radius of the hex key. Create surface from that profile (simple extrude from mid, going past the width of the cylinder). Rotate the surface 6 times. Cut away the material you don't need or want using the surfaces you created. Just an idea.
blowlamp  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 2:27:47 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Here's a video of a random shape I created that displays what happens with this tool and why you can't really use it to make anything that needs to be accurate in its form.

If Rail Revolve Surface could be coaxed into working better, it could allow all sorts of unique shapes to be made very quickly and very easily. From my (limited) experience, I don't think there is another tool that can mimic its function completely.

http://screencast.com/t/CdFOK7k6LDo

Martin.
blowlamp  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 9:49:42 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Sorry to keep going on about it, but here's another video :D

If I split the shape into sections and only Surface Rail Revolve them one at a time, I can get a good surface - it's pretty long winded though.

See how much cleaner the surfaces are :)

It'd be much better if Shark could do what I'm doing here and still allow the original (first) profile curve to remain associated to the whole group of surfaces.

http://screencast.com/t/h7MVtP3D

Martin.
zumer  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2012 12:19:47 AM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Three cylinders displaced 120 degrees and intersected strikes me as a simpler way to produce a hex ball end, rail revolve surface shortcomings notwithstanding.