logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lgrijalva  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:38:04 PM(UTC)
lgrijalva

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Here is the thing, and is not the first time that happens to me

I was working on a project, suddenly shark fx crash, I hit restart the software on the warning window that appear, and shark is asking me for authorization code, the authorization window shows the serial, Registration key and the authorization code that i use the last time, the question is, why do this happen?

I start shark fx v7 and also asking me for authorization,

I reboot the computer hopping that was something related to log session or folders permission, but no luck... so, what are my options:

Ask for a new activation code on both version 7 and 8 (that obviously burn another chance to do it)

Of course this is something that i prefer not to do.

Luis G.
Luis G
Industrial Designer
MacOSX 10.10, Yosemite
Shark FX V8, Beta testing Shark FX V9-1146
www.miditec.com.mx
www.diferro.com
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:10:08 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>why do this happen?

Either related to your (1) NIC board or the (2) registration file got damaged.

1. Our security system is tied to the address of the Network Interface Card. The manufacture of a particular NIC board( Broadcom) has a known bug regarding randomly resetting this address.

2. Check that you still have SFXRegInfo.ini on you machine. This file contains your registration information.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
lgrijalva  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:24:47 PM(UTC)
lgrijalva

Hello Tim.
Thanks for asking, beside other things, I also did check and yes i have the the sfxreg.ini file, I move it to try to re-register with no luck, so i spend a little more time trying to fix this, and this is what works for me:

After repair permissions, reboot a couple times, no luck, then i boot on single user mode (cmn+s), run firs applejack utility, wait for finish routines, then reboot on single user mode again, then run /sbin/sfck -fy, wait for finish again, then reboot again, login in to my account and then Shark start fine now, (both, v7 and v8), so, it should be something related to permissions issues or corrupted preferences or, as you said, network interface card that becomes normal again.

Luis G.

Hope this help to figure other ones to know what to do they go through this problem.
Luis G
Industrial Designer
MacOSX 10.10, Yosemite
www.miditec.com.mx
www.diferro.com
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:30:19 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
If it is the NIC card, Apple Care has this to id the problem cards....

Tim

Apple Care Update:

After sending the fifth Capture Data file to the escalation engineer handling my incorrect Ethernet ID case, he called me.

He reported that several people are reporting this issue (Ethernet ID = 00:10:18:00:00:00), and that the MAC OS X software group is working on a solution, and he asked me to quit sending Capture Data files, as they had enough information to start pinning down the cause.

Apparently, this issue is happening across several Apple platforms (iMac, Mac Pro, MacBook, MacBook Pro, etc.), and that we are all experiencing the same incorrect Ethernet ID, and we all have similar problems when this happens (accessing the Web, repeated login requests, credit card information declined).

The current belief is that there is an issue between the Network Interface Card's (NIC's) firmware and the MAC OS X software. For those who've listed their specs on this thread, the NIC is the Ethernet Card listed under "Hardware" in System Profiler.

So far, I've seen the same setup for all of us: Broadcom 5764 (the NIC) using the same Firmware version (3.38). If anyone has a different NIC/firmware version, please post it on this thread.

While researching how MAC addresses (Ethernet ID) are determined b/w computers and cable/dsl modems, I came across the following explanation:

"MAC addresses are most often assigned by the manufacturer of a network interface card (NIC) and are stored in its hardware, the card's read-only memory, or some other firmware mechanism. If assigned by the manufacturer, a MAC address usually encodes the manufacturer's registered identification number and may be referred to as the burned-in address. It may also be known as an Ethernet hardware address (EHA), hardware address or physical address."
(http://pinoytech.org/su/questio...s-modem-mac-address-mean)

This explanation lends credence to what I was told by my escalation engineer:

1st: The "manufacturer" of the NIC card listed by everyone is Broadcom Corp.
2nd: The incorrect Ethernet ID address we randomly see (00:10:18:...) is assigned to Broadcom Corp.
3rd: This same issue occurred in 2009 with HP laptop computers using Broadcom Corp. NICs.

With last year's issue, the problems mirror ours in many ways. See the following link:http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/ser...8353475&threadId=1317110

One post in the above thread states that "Broadcom is currently working on a firmware update." Eventually, HP put out a BIOS update, so I don't know if Broadcom's firmware was the problem, or if the computer's BIOS was at fault.

Regardless, I believe there is an intermittent problem causing the NIC to report the Broadcom address. The engineer did tell me that all I could do until a fix is created is to continue using the workaround that "always" works for my computer: Shutdown computer/reboot cable modem/Restart computer.

Unfortunately, if I leave the computer running while rebooting the cable modem, I will get Internet connectivity, but the Ethernet ID does not reset. I can surf, but I experience issues with constant login requests, and I am unable to verify my credit card information in iTunes. Actually, iTunes gives me a message that my credit card was "declined". Once I shutdown/reboot/etc., my billing info is never a problem.

If anyone has additional information please continue to post. I hope this issue is solved soon, but any workarounds that work for you will be appreciated by those who discover this thread for the first time.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
lgrijalva  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:27:15 AM(UTC)
lgrijalva

well, clear and logic explained,

thanks Tim.

Luis g.
Luis G
Industrial Designer
MacOSX 10.10, Yosemite
www.miditec.com.mx
www.diferro.com
linpwer  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 3, 2012 1:05:07 PM(UTC)
linpwer

When I try to start Shark FX V7 I am getting the same problem, the Registration window comes up and although all fields are complete, nothing happens when I click on the "Activate" key. I have tried re-registering, and I get the same activation code, which I re-enter, but as expected nothing happens when I click on the "Activate" key.

This has happened several times in the past and I think the tech support sent me a new authorization code and then things work for a while... until now that it's happened again.
lgrijalva  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 3, 2012 3:06:05 PM(UTC)
lgrijalva

Try this
Disconnect network (shutdown wireless or disconnect from ethernet)

Reboot

Start shark (should work), and then reconnect your network

You may also try the same but fixing permissions before reboot

This is what works form me, after reboot, the registration windows doesn't show up again and shark fire up normally

Luis G.
Luis G
Industrial Designer
MacOSX 10.10, Yosemite
www.miditec.com.mx
www.diferro.com
jlm  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2012 6:22:01 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 151 time(s) in 96 post(s)
Originally Posted by: lgrijalva Go to Quoted Post

I was working on a project, suddenly shark fx crash, I hit restart the software on the warning window that appear, and shark is asking me for authorization code, the authorization window shows the serial, Registration key and the authorization code that i use the last time, the question is, why do this happen?

The same thing happened to me in a different way :
I was working on Shark in a car (not driving) and I was sharing internet connection with my iPhone.
My MacBook battery ran out and it shut down...
When I restarted, I got deserialized.
Jean-Luc from Cobright told me it may be due to a swapping "MAC" number in certain network conditions...
jol  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 8:46:33 AM(UTC)
jol

This just happened to me for the second time in a week

Why ?

Shurely Shum Mishtake Mish Moneypenny ?

I crossed an EU border ... re-register

Now I cross back ... re-register

I bet you guys in the US don't suffer this when crossing state lines ?
la mouche  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:00:57 AM(UTC)
la mouche

mac or pc?
la mouche  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:14:55 AM(UTC)
la mouche

lgrijalva  
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 24, 2013 1:23:21 PM(UTC)
lgrijalva

It happens again with OSX maverick

Luis G.
Luis G
Industrial Designer
MacOSX 10.10, Yosemite
www.miditec.com.mx
www.diferro.com
zumer  
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 24, 2013 5:59:22 PM(UTC)
zumer

Pfft, you think that's a problem? Let's play the Monty Python "Four Yorkshiremen" game. Activation of Win8 is encrypted in the BIOS so it's absolutely non-transferable. My four-month-old Samsung has had its motherboard replaced, and was returned to me with Windows deactivated. There are no stickers with activation serials, Microsoft just say "no", the PC's gone back for two weeks with no guarantee of satisfaction, and either way, EVERYTHING has to be reinstalled and reactivated. Ask me what I think about sanctimonious sermons about the IMMORALITY of IP theft backed by legal "remedies" to pursue and ruin even inadvertant transgressors, while my time, work and property gets no recognition and the company (or companies and governments, if you consider that PC manufacturers have capitulated to Microsoft, and that legislative jurisdictions haven't stopped them) that cost me the loss can absolve themselves with a disclaimer.

Too bitter, you think?
lgrijalva  
#14 Posted : Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:40:18 PM(UTC)
lgrijalva

Zumer, that and another thousands reasons are the ones that I use mac.

:)
Luis G
Industrial Designer
MacOSX 10.10, Yosemite
www.miditec.com.mx
www.diferro.com
zumer  
#15 Posted : Friday, October 25, 2013 5:46:28 AM(UTC)
zumer

And yet...."It happens again with OSX maverick". I wonder if anything can be persuaded to run usefully on ReactOS?