logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
m.marino  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 4, 2014 11:34:33 AM(UTC)
m.marino

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Okay,

Here is the issue. Make two helices. One inside the other (mine was 12mm OD with 10.268 ID) Set them at a 1mm pitch no draft. Offset the ID so that it supports the 1mm pitch. Draw in a line between the two start points (I drew a triangle but you don't have to). Sweep along two rails and look at the mess you get. My helices where 18.5 mm long by the way so that you can get a better idea of what is going on.

It does not on no less than six attempts stay inside the rails. It sags, it over shoots and all sorts of mischief but a nice straight tight surface between the two lines of the helices it does not do. Have bad tolerances rather tight and not change. Have checked and senn if there was issues with the helices according to VCPro v9 and no joy.

I did find a work around and was able to move forward on the project but that is time lost and since it is a part to repair a machine. Please don't offer the boolean subtraction as that did not work either as it left surface planes in the final threads and really made the final drawing on a 2D look really bad. Work around was boolean addition and while it worked there are still issues Not completely centered even when setting tolerance in microns. -Michael
SharkCAD Pro v10 w/ PowerPack Pro
Lenovo D20 2x E5620 w/ 64GB RAM, Nvidia 1060
MM0MSU

blowlamp  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 4, 2014 12:10:54 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

Can you post an example file that doesn't work for you?

Martin.
m.marino  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 4, 2014 12:50:41 PM(UTC)
m.marino

Man
United Kingdom

Martin will set up a file that does the same thing and post it in a bit as needing to get some other work done. -Michael
MM0MSU

billbedford  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 5, 2014 5:47:39 AM(UTC)
billbedford

The easiest way of producing a screw thread is draw a pointed rectangle, with the length equal to half the o/a diameter, height equal the pitch and the chamfers equal to the thread form.
Then use One Rail Sweep; Sweep perp, Curve extents. Select 'Allow self-intersections' in options. Use the point of the rectangle as the sweep origin.

This working in v.8 maybe it's broken in v.9
m.marino  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2014 4:09:09 AM(UTC)
m.marino

Man
United Kingdom

I was going to up load the file but a security token is missing and it will not allow me to up load. -Michael
MM0MSU