logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
misterrogers  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:16:20 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

I mentioned in another thread about wanting Mating for Assemblies and assemblies in general.. and 3D solidworks type constraining. Does anyone else want these too? And is it likely if Shark will ever have such features? If it's a tall order, then I'd like to know so I can stop asking.. These would prevent me from having to switch between my mac/windows side to use solidworks. Its a pain to go back and forth.. Besides my SW seat is from work and therefore not actually mine..

Turbocad and Cobalt have something similar and I mention them because they have mac versions of course..
zumer  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:45:29 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
TurboCAD doesn't have assembly constraints. Its (PC) assembly tools are individual and compounded transformations that don't associate features on discrete parts beyond the assembly action. Great for alignment, but not constraining. Shark and TC both have 2D constraints that, along with grouping, go a long way towards assembly constraint, but SW's can be applied more or less ad hoc, and to features, whereas you have to plan ahead with Shark and implement them with the arrangement and constraint of profiles and paths. Which mostly stops them from being applied to parts built from primitives.
misterrogers  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 12:37:43 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Understood. I guess I was misinformed about TC. However after recently checking out a demo version of Cobalt, I did notice that you can create parts within assemblies rather than just layers. I'm not sure if it saves these parts individually as files to be "called upon" at any given time. I find that top-down modeling works best for me, as it seems more organized.

I guess what I'd like is more tutorials on here about constraining in more advanced ways. I don't work with extraordinarily complex geometry, but find that the more operations one makes whether boolean or otherwise, the constraints seem to be more precarious and sometimes not update correctly. It is probably just my lack of experience. If someone wanted to develop a pretty complex part using constraints and equations, I'd love to see a recording of it. There were some tutorials on here that helped get me started a while back but none really since..
Tem  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2012 12:25:58 PM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
When dealing with imported parts in SW, I find that a lot of time is wasted "re-constraining" all the imported parts in assembly.
I tend to use construction lines to help assemble parts, groups and layers can also be helpful in managing assemblies (reducing visual clutter and such).
zumer  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2012 6:53:40 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
TurboCAD does handle an ACIS format called "ASAT", Assembly SAT. I've never used it, but according to Spatial's documentation, "its top-level object, 'asm-model' is not an entity", which I take as meaning that it's a part hierarchy. There are also references to .sat files having provision for history streams, which is an interesting thing to consider being exchanged between CAD apps from different publishers.
misterrogers  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:17:38 AM(UTC)
misterrogers

Originally Posted by: Tem Go to Quoted Post
When dealing with imported parts in SW, I find that a lot of time is wasted "re-constraining" all the imported parts in assembly.
I tend to use construction lines to help assemble parts, groups and layers can also be helpful in managing assemblies (reducing visual clutter and such).

Would you explain a little more? I try to get as organized as possible in each file but sometimes it gets a little like spaghetti.

Suppose your client comes back to you and asks for a bunch of dimensional changes on several parts within your assembly. How do you personally go back and revise everything accordingly (and quickly) without parts moving out of alignment? Really anything you can show or demonstrate would be helpful..
Tem  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 1, 2012 12:00:50 PM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Misterrogers:

Are you asking about linear /axis alignments?
Constraints can ease this.

Sorry. I ran out of time.
misterrogers  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 1, 2012 2:20:41 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Originally Posted by: Tem Go to Quoted Post
Misterrogers:

Are you asking about linear /axis alignments?
Constraints can ease this.

Sorry. I ran out of time.

Tem, yes that is exactly what I'm talking about. I need more guidance in using the constraints in a more advanced way. What I'd really like is perhaps a video that shows the proper way to construct a bookshelf or nightstand for example using constraints. It doesn't really matter what the item modeled is - concerned primarily with the "HOW" it all comes together.

Right now I only exercise a rather crude approach to constraint-based modeling and it usually works right but not always.

If given a chance, I'd like to see how others who have much more experience develop a part in that fashion. One of my biggest problems is getting parts to mirror (and update accordingly) because so much of what I do is symmetrical along one axis.
Tem  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 2, 2012 2:47:17 AM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

misterrogers,

What are you doing now that could be improved? How do you lay out "shelves" and stuff? Do you have a common baseline / starting point for your constraints, or do you build on them (using a formula or does it just propagate unnaturally for you?). Try creating a basic skeleton of lines, or straight curves :-) Then base your relationships on those lines, i.e. shelving heights from the floor that could then be adjusted by modifying the constraints as needed. Such a skeleton could move cut outs for the shelves and move the shelves to a new height, or low accordingly. Sorry, its late and I'm not making sense to myself any more. Sorry if this just totally confusing. Good night!
misterrogers  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 2, 2012 5:17:07 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

thanks for the advice - that's sort of what I do. two dimensions never seems to be much of a problem (only occasionally) but when I add a third axis - height - it becomes a much bigger problem. I don't know how to constrain the third dimension to the length and width. If I want to create a collection of items that includes say a night stand, dresser and chest of drawers, I use the base design of one. L/W are no problem as the constraining works well with them but they are all different heights. That's really where the main problem lies.

I'm going to work on a simply model and upload it here so you can kind of see how I start and let me know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks again Tem.