logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
misterrogers  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 1, 2010 7:39:14 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Unfortunately one of my profs insists on having us submit our CAD files in Autocad format.. specifically to be able to be opened in ACAD '09 Student Edition which is what the syllabus stresses.

I am NOT about to spend 2 hours clunking around to produce something which is going to take me half an hour tops in Shark.. These are only 2D / orthographic views by the way.

I tried to save a simple DXF and DWG file to be opened but only the dimension text came out. Can you please help me figure out how to properly export an ACAD-compatible file from Shark FX?

Thank you.
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2010 4:14:43 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hi

Are you trying to export drawings with model to sheet views?

I though the student version of Acad could not open non student files? Maybe I am wrong.

What export did you use dwg or dxf what version number?

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
misterrogers  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2010 4:15:54 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Hi I'm trying to export a simple plan, front elevation and end view including dimensions, section views, etc. No 3d data.

When I exported out of Shark build 853, the files I saved were DXF and DWG R2009.

When I opened this up in Autocad Student Edition (on a school lab pc), nothing showed up except the dimension lines.

It really is a pain to develop drawings in ACAD, and while I can do it, it is so frustratingly, ridiculously clunky with more steps than I need to do the same thing that would take only one operation in a program like Shark. I'm not bashing Autodesk, because I have always been a big fan of maya and 3ds.

So you think that ACAD SE cannot an imported file?
jdi000  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2010 4:34:02 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Originally Posted by: misterrogers Go to Quoted Post
Hi I'm trying to export a simple plan, front elevation and end view including dimensions, section views, etc. No 3d data.

When I exported out of Shark build 853, the files I saved were DXF and DWG R2009.

When I opened this up in Autocad Student Edition (on a school lab pc), nothing showed up except the dimension lines.

It really is a pain to develop drawings in ACAD, and while I can do it, it is so frustratingly, ridiculously clunky with more steps than I need to do the same thing that would take only one operation in a program like Shark. I'm not bashing Autodesk, because I have always been a big fan of maya and 3ds.

So you think that ACAD SE cannot an imported file?

I have not seen ACAD not open a dxf dwg from Shark/ViaCAD, but I have heard about the SE of ACAD not opening files but cannot confirm...

Download Autodesk TrueView program (free) and try your files on that...

Are you exporting draw views? Did you look in the paperspace tabs after import? You could copy the draw views and flatten them and then try exporting just the geometry.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
misterrogers  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2010 4:39:48 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post
I have not seen ACAD not open a dxf dwg from Shark/ViaCAD, but I have heard about the SE of ACAD not opening files but cannot confirm...

Download Autodesk TrueView program (free) and try your files on that...

Are you exporting draw views? Did you look in the paperspace tabs after import? You could copy the draw views and flatten them and then try exporting just the geometry.

Regards

Jason

Never heard of the TrueView program, but I will definitely try that. Thank you!

Also can you please elaborate on what is meant by "Draw views"?
misterrogers  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2010 4:41:48 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

I can't use TrueView because it doesn't appear to support Mac OS X which I have. I'll just bring my laptop to school tomorrow and flash drive and go back and forth on an autocad station there.
jdi000  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2010 6:09:18 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Never heard of the TrueView program, but I will definitely try that. Thank you!

Also can you please elaborate on what is meant by "Draw views"?

How did you create your view plan, front etc draw from scratch or did you use the model to sheet tool on a 3d part?

Can you post a sample file? Or the dxf file you exported. Or email me ([email protected]) and I will open in Trueview

Thanks

Jason
Windows 11, 10
misterrogers  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2010 7:07:53 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Okay thanks I will either post it here or email it.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2010 11:34:46 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I know how you feel. I kind of have a love-hate affair with ACAD -- especially 2008. Now that i am on 2009 (at work) it "feels" easier to use for 3D purposes. But, since i cannot afford a $5,000 program and am not going into debt to do so and not going to addict myself to my employer's program and risk losing ability to do my art/hobby were i to lose this job, i steadfastly keep my exposure to ACAD ONLY at work, or to verify problems exist or don't exist in VC.

What i dread about taking out-of-pocket CAD courses is many are so insistent on ACAD, rather than ACAD-compatible apps that meet data interchange. SOMEone should set up courses that get proper funding (indudstry sources, through proper tax-write-offs?) to persuade some on- or off-campus exposure to those who want apps not coming from mega giants....)

As for my previous 3D-solid issue of December, it went away with ACAD 2009, so i have to be grateful for whatever driver or dll there was in 2009 that 2008 sorely missed or was corrupted.

If ACAD 2009 SE is unable to import it could be that it is to prevent people from sharing files between the cheaper, student editions and whatever the cheap(er) commercial firms (ongoing concerns) are using. Autodesk wants companies that use their products to pay a much higher price than getting on with a student or Lite version.

While i support/don't mind friendly competition, i thoroughly at the subatomic level despise companies that go out of their way to (*)block smaller firms that just want to play, too. People should have choices, and tho ViaCAD hasn't got ALL the bells and whistles i would like, i stand by VCP because Punch! Software gives me/us CHOICE. And, it's 3D tools were spot on for what i needed and am still learning. TCad would have cost over $1000 to get only some of what VC 2D3D offered at a lesser price, and ACAD was "clunky" and strange in ways, too.

But, you should -- if you can -- drag that instructor of yours into the light and show him/her VCP. If enough instructors are cajoled into opening up and stop being sticklers just because Adesk may have 90% of the market sewn up in its pocket, then maybe, just maybe students will learn to have a bag of tools from multiple vendors. It might even be good for Adesk if it helps them avoid class actions and other suits.

Like Jack Nicholson asked in one of his movies (Witches?) "Can't we all just gettt alonnnnggg?" hehehe....

Rant/stress-level off...
misterrogers  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2010 4:02:33 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Zerolengthcurve - I can't imagine that most companies seem to use ACAD because of it's "intuitive" interface. Even the simple tools that I'm used to with Shark do not seem to exist in ACAD 2009 Student Edition. For example, today I was working on something at school and was looking for a "midpoint" line tool, but found only ONE line tool... AB kind of line tool. It's such a slow and arduous process to produce a technical drawing that should take no more than a few minutes in shark.

Perhaps its the sheer power of autodesk's marketing power that they've managed to fool the world... but not the fine folks on here who've discovered this tool.

I recently explored the latest version of Cobalt (demo) and found that although it has some good new tools, the construction lines do not work like they do in my version of shark. I also do not like the tool icons.. they're not as intuitive and clean or easy-to-recognize as shark's.

My rant.. :)

JDI000: I'm posting two files up.. They're just test files

1) R 2009 DXF
2) R 2009 DWG

I don't know what the difference between these two file extensions is so I just exported as both. Please remember I'm trying to open these in Autocad Student Edition.

Thanks.
File Attachment(s):
Test Files.zip (18kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
jdi000  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2010 7:41:08 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

The test files open fine in TrueView, and other programs. So I would think that maybe the student version of Autocad is the not opening the files correctly or maybe a long shot is

My other thought is maybe you are getting bit by the color of the lines not showing up in autocad. The lines you drew are 38,0,0 if you are opening up on a black autocad screen they might not display.

As a side note you can download another free viewer called edrawings can view dwg,dxf, and other formats 2d, and 3d and it works on mac.

wouldn't want you to have to use ac if you can avoid it...:)

Regards

Jason
jdi000 attached the following image(s):
testfileopened.jpg (53kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Windows 11, 10
misterrogers  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2010 9:22:14 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Thank you Jason. I'm gonna check out the edrawings app. I appreciate you taking the time to help with this. At least I know that I'm exporting the files correctly.
mat  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2010 11:30:20 PM(UTC)
mat

Just jumping on this thread , excuse me if I am off track as I have not read the full thread. I have found autocad can only open shark files once exported as dxf 2000 files in the past , hope that helps ???
misterrogers  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 5:01:04 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

I'm very ecstatic to report that I was finally able to open Autocad files in Shark and vice versa.

Using a student version of ACAD (2009), and Shark FX build 853, it was made possible by exporting from Shark as R14 or R12 DXF/DWGs. I tried this both ways from one to the other and was successful each time.

I must have had tried other combinations/formats dozens of times before landing this.
jdi000  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 5:59:46 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

I'm very ecstatic to report that I was finally able to open Autocad files in Shark and vice versa.

Using a student version of ACAD (2009), and Shark FX build 853, it was made possible by exporting from Shark as R14 or R12 DXF/DWGs. I tried this both ways from one to the other and was successful each time.

I must have had tried other combinations/formats dozens of times before landing this.

Good to hear, I have never seen an issue with dxf, dwg files from Shark/ViaCAD into Acad, but I guess it has something to do with the student version.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
ZeroLengthCurve  
#16 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2010 3:56:48 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I wish i'd thought of that. I got sidetracked when i misplaced my lithi... uummmm, latched onto the conspiracy theory side of things and forgot to suggest trying to save to/import to/import from different versions of ACAD generations.

At work, we have to save by default to like ACAD 2007 because some clients simply refuse to or cannot afford to upgrade. But, we also have with each passing year more and more drawings in the older format. At some point, it may be too disadvantageous to save in older formats when parametric constraints and other features might not be saved in any older file/version.

OTOH, Adesk can't completely alienate users unless they first rule the world--- wait.... i hear a knock on the door... $*()#@ lost carrier &)(*#$
misterrogers  
#17 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:20:47 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Some peers of mine at school like ACAD a lot, but then I ask them if they have ever used any other cad program.. They ALWAYS so no. So there you have it.