logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
misterrogers  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 10:46:27 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Is there a proper way to develop a 3D model from drafted 2D data?

* I realize this is a basic question, but I really have never been shown how.
misterrogers  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2009 1:15:44 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

I want to clarify my question in case it sounds asinine for it's inherent elementary-sounding nature: :)

Can someone show a brief tutorial perhaps in video format, how to for example, build a mug in 3D after a 2D draft has been drawn up of it?

I am having trouble with complex products and want to know if there is a proper way to use 2D data as a "guide" for making a 3D object – something like "construction lines".

Anyone please.. Thanks! I am pretty new to CAD.
ttrw  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2009 2:27:40 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Woah! That's a BIG question!! :eek:

Standards. There are standards (which you should stick to- otherwise your fellow engineers won't have a clue what you are talking about!).

Then there are projected views- usually 3rd Angle. Put your cup on the table, remove the perspective, then look straight on at it. Then look at it from above- 3rd angle. If you look at it from above, then tip it over, then look at it (from the same position), that's 1st Angle. If you get my drift?

Then there are measurements, which ideally should be in metric- but America (and a little of England too, I have to admit, but we are getting much better), are still stuck in a time warp! ;)

Books. You need to read books. Books are good.

Shark will allow you to do this (convert from 3D to 2D), but it is hard work (I know I shouldn't say that). Programs like Solidworks are far more refined. However, the new 2D tools in SFX7 do look really promising. So there is hope yet!
Steve.M  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2009 12:15:14 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: misterrogers Go to Quoted Post
Can someone show a brief tutorial perhaps in video format, how to for example, build a mug in 3D after a 2D draft has been drawn up of it?

Is that from an imported/created drawing made up of polylines (such as importing a DXF- (just as simple example))?

- Steve
misterrogers  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2009 4:13:45 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

TTRW: Good advice. i do know how to draft by hand and i do know how to model in 3D (but not at expert level). The problem is that I am new to 2D CAD itself and want to know if there's a way to easily (in Shark) take my orthographic projections and create a 3D model DIRECTLY from it (e.g. using front elevation, end view and plan.)

Agreed about the metric system.. I can't think of any other country besides the US that uses miles/feet/inches still.. I didn't know that the UK still did..?

STEVE M: Could be imported .dxf file, but also one created within Shark. What's an easy way to draft and then quickly model from that data a 3D image? I hope my question isn't too wordy and makes sense.. I'm trying to explain it as best as possible.. :)
zumer  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2009 5:30:24 PM(UTC)
zumer

...want to know if there's a way to easily (in Shark) take my orthographic projections and create a 3D model DIRECTLY from it (e.g. using front elevation, end view and plan.)

Yes, model-to-sheet. It's not perfect, it has its own idiosycracies that you'll inevitably trip over and cuss at, but it's the quickest way to get plan, elevation, and end views onto a drawing sheet, even if you only use Shark's own projections as construction lines for old-school tracing.
billbedford  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2009 6:16:55 AM(UTC)
billbedford

TTRW: Good advice. i do know how to draft by hand and i do know how to model in 3D (but not at expert level). The problem is that I am new to 2D CAD itself and want to know if there's a way to easily (in Shark) take my orthographic projections and create a 3D model DIRECTLY from it (e.g. using front elevation, end view and plan.)

I find that using a 2D drawing as only a source of dimensions and drawing directly in 3D is much quicker than trying to wrestle a 2D drawing into a 3D one.
misterrogers  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2009 4:11:50 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Originally Posted by: billbedford Go to Quoted Post
I find that using a 2D drawing as only a source of dimensions and drawing directly in 3D is much quicker than trying to wrestle a 2D drawing into a 3D one.

This makes sense.. no using a 2d drawing and creating surfaces from each individual face and extruding them their appropriate lengths or whatnot.. I was experimenting with taking a 2d china cabinet thinking there's a "proper way" to use it directly into a 3d form. Like I said, I am very new to 2D cad having just learned Turbocad pro this summer and then purchasing Shark early this fall. Thanks matey!
BobAir  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:10:51 PM(UTC)
BobAir

I've recently bought viaCAD. My (limited) previous CAD experience has been 2D only. I'd also like to learn how to take a three-view 2D drawing and make it into a 3D. My ultimate objective is to trace the top, front and side views of PDF views of an experimental airplane I built, then adjust each view so they are the same scale and locate common points on each of the views in the hopes of getting a rough 3D approximation of the actual airplane.

Because of all the compound curves on the airplane and my lack of any experience in 3D modeling, I can't believe it would be easier to model the airplane in 3D first (but if that's the case, then I'm willing to take a run at it).

Thanks.

Bob
mikeschn  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2010 5:46:29 AM(UTC)
mikeschn

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Is there a proper way to develop a 3D model from drafted 2D data?

* I realize this is a basic question, but I really have never been shown how.

I believe I understand what you are asking...

It all depends on the model. A good designer will study the 2d print, visualize the model, and evaluate the different possibilities for modeling. Typically you will start with the main feature, and then boolean add or subtract from that.

Take the coffee cup example. You would not model the handle first. The main feature is the cup.

Or on an engine block you would model the main block first.

Something like a differential carrier requires a little more thought. You might create an extrude and a revolve, and do an boolean intersection. Then add your ribs and what not.

UserPostedImage

Is that the kind of information you were looking for?

Mike...
ViaCAD Pro 12 on Windows; Viacad Pro 14 on Mac
ZeroLengthCurve  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:45:14 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
This makes sense.. no using a 2d drawing and creating surfaces from each individual face and extruding them their appropriate lengths or whatnot.. I was experimenting with taking a 2d china cabinet thinking there's a "proper way" to use it directly into a 3d form. Like I said, I am very new to 2D cad having just learned Turbocad pro this summer and then purchasing Shark early this fall. Thanks matey!

----

If you are inclined to experiment with boat or ship hulls (for modeling in 3d practice, but not structural designs... that would be really ambitious...), visit www.delftship.net and go to the download secion. You may need to log in in an account in order to download user-submitted models.

Just grab a simple one, like a yach, or even better, a supertanker (it won't have canopies, rudders, sails etc.

Then, turn on stations, buttocks, waterlines, making sure you have added stations at some random or convenient-for-you distances based on the size of the model in its real-world units. For example, if the hull is 400 feet long, maybe place stations at 40 foot intervals. Again, this is just to speed things up. Add waterlines, too, every 9 or 10 feet to simulate deck-to-overhead (floor to ceiling) spacing.

Now, making sure that the network of points is turned on, export the model in DXF.

In ViaCAD, import that model and expand the layers tree. You can for now turn off waterlines and buttocks. If you want, turn of "lines" as well, leaving just the stations in view. Note that the stations will have port/starboard (left/right) halves.

switch the model to a front view and notice the curves of the hull. Imagine trying to "fair" those lines by hand, without hydrostatics feedback to tell you whether the hull shape was efficient or not at a given waterline.

Now, use the skin tool and select a forward and an aft station. Doing this on port and starboard, you end up with sideshell or hull plating at this location. Now, skin the port and starboard station lines for forward and for aft boundaries of the sideshell surface you created. Also, if you turn on the lines layer and "break" or segment the lines intersecting with/at the stations, you have accurate boundaries for the deck plating or top boundary. You could skin from surface to surface, too, using a right and a left top edge of surfaces.

Now, you have a (if done correctly) a "watertight" section of a boat or ship hull -- well, until you cut holes for pipes or ladderways, or if you made straight-on skin covers.

The hard part to surface is near the bow, especially if a sonar dome is on the model. For even MORE fun (or therapy, in my case), I draw/extrude along the curved hull a number of sideshell stiffeners (T-beams) from top to the keel. I have to extend lines the depth/distance of the web and sweep that with a careful selection of the sweep/extrude features. I also have to do this for other structural elements that form a grid of minor steel to support the flat or larger plates. It goes on, too, because i'll have to draw pipes, extruded or swept from circles, along a path. I'll have to draw inclined latters.

This is why i like ViaCAD. I could not do this in version 14 of TurboCAD nearly as easily, and TC14 didn't offer easy surface/solids. VC 2D/3D and VCP both do. I gave up kick-butt icon pallets and whiz-bang buttons once i found VC 2D/3D giving me far more than i otherwise had. Then, I upgraded to Pro.
zumer  
#12 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2010 11:32:42 PM(UTC)
zumer

Developing 3D from 2D is parametric modeling. 2D drawings imply features that a 3D model has to make explicit. Instead of giving a drawing to a technician toolmaker or machinist who'll interpret the intent of the drawing, you're doing their work in a virtual environment. Your model is the finished product, so any way that you can produce it is "proper". Product modeling differs from, say, modeling for graphic purposes with something like 3dsMAX, because you have physical constraints on the result, like producibility, and you might have to take material properties into account for strength or thermodynamics. If you're doing it professionally, you also have to consider how long it'll take you to get a result, taking the above possibilities into account.
A 3D CAD model takes the driving parameters and uses them to define the relationships between features, using the third dimension as an environment in which a single vector conveys information that 2D requires three to explain. Parametric CAD programs gain further advantage in this process because they can develop additional models semi-automatically by changing one or more parameters. If the relationships between parameters is expressed, changing one alters the relationships and if the modeling has been done in accordance with the capability, the software can rebuild the model without further guidance.

I've done a very simple example using your suggestion of a teacup. The outline sketch only implies two parameters, shape and size. I've extrapolated a cross-section and lathed it, assuming it's circular. For the handle, a circle swept along the two rails of the outline. The 3D development carries much more explicit information than the outline sketch, even in this simple form. To be a finished model, it needs to be embellished further, the two solids conjoined and blended at the junctions. What makes it a "proper" method is that it gets a result. It's not the only way of doing it, any other that gets a result is as valid.
zumer attached the following image(s):
developing teacup.jpg (18kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#13 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2010 1:49:08 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Say, Zumer,

I really like your explanation. I think it's probably the best, concise presentation of the matter.

As i got ready to look at your attachment, thoughts came to mind. I thought, "it would be nice if ViaCAD had semi-parametric facilities to handle:

-- volume, area, product weight constraints

-- stability

Let's say you make a mug. We've all seen many of those that have tall, narrow bases with diameters sized to be held comfortably but which flare to hold more volume at the upper portion. To me, those are poor and unstable. I prefer, wider-based, in-tapering mugs with leak-proof/minimally-leaking lids. Of course, the ones with taller, narrow bases fit in vehicles' cup holders and such.

If the weight, moment, and density of the liquid such as coffee (a milk shake would be less a leak problem) are accounted for, it might be possible for a good seal (rubber?) could be designed into the lid to hold it tight to the mug inner surface.

I should have looked at Shark's parametric features more closely before the beta timed out.
markb57  
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:17:50 PM(UTC)
markb57

Originally Posted by: ZeroLengthCurve Go to Quoted Post
----

.... Then, I upgraded to Pro.

Not really directly related to this topic, but cam I ask why you upgraded, ZLC, and are you happy you did? I have been chewing on the same idea, but $$$ are very tight in my life right now.

Thx,
markb
misterrogers  
#15 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2010 8:11:44 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Zumer I agree with ZeroLengthCurve good, concise answer.

So is it protocol to physically overlay 2D CAD data (orthographic views) and create a 3D model directly from those lines? I know this sounds rather lame, but I just want to know if experienced industrial designers, etc do this, or do they model directly by looking at hand-sketches and sort of "sculpt" from there?
NickB  
#16 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2010 10:12:48 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)

So is it protocol to physically overlay 2D CAD data (orthographic views) and create a 3D model directly from those lines? I know this sounds rather lame, but I just want to know if experienced industrial designers, etc do this, or do they model directly by looking at hand-sketches and sort of "sculpt" from there?

I think the first few week that I used a 3D CAD package I was still thinking in 2D, and then trying to develop forms from 2D layouts. I quickly realized that this was a complete duplication of effort, and that the beauty of a package like Shark (I started with Cobalt in the late 90's, Cobalt was Shark's pre-cursor) was that I never had to work in 2D. Shark allows you to directly work in 3D solids without ever having to do an intermediary 2D sketch. It is so good at that that I have done multiple projects in which I have never even given the client or vendor a 2D layout.

My sketches are horrendous scribbles, so consequently I move as quickly as I can from rough hand sketches to a solid model. I never show my sketches to clients, and use them as a shorthand way of making general arrangements. They are notes, if you were writing, they would be the outline. I feel that this process keeps things real, and stops me from becoming seduced by a concept that I may never be able to make work in the real world. It also allows me to see proportions in a way that I just cant in a sketch without pouring huge amounts of effort into something that has no use beyond being a pretty piece of paper. I also like to import base components, or roughly model those components in 3D as early as possible so that whatever I build I know will work.

Once I am into a project and understand all the parameters, I occasionally do a multitude of 2D sketches in Shark, but because 2D is so limited I will very rarely try and use those sketches to develop the actual 3D forms. As an example I am currently working on a server project, and have been doing quick 2D sketches so that I can try and graphically visualize different arrangements of some of the main components. The problem with this 2D approach is that it is 2D or graphical in nature, and as an industrial designer I am concerned with ergonomics, 3D space, color, shadow and the mechanics of my design, none of which are things that a 2D layout illustrates. Again, 2D functions just as notes, not as the basis for 3D as invariably the moment that I move into 3D I will find that the 2D concept does not work as I envisaged, and the proportions as drawn just don't work well in 3D space.

I hope this answers your question, but do bear in mind that this is just one industrial designers process, and we all work in different ways and mine is tailored to the fact that I don't like sketching, and also like to do as much of my own mechanical design as possible so consequently try and keep things as real as possible though out the process.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
zumer  
#17 Posted : Monday, February 1, 2010 1:52:50 AM(UTC)
zumer

2D data is useful for dimensions and relationships, and you get that by glancing at a hand-drawn sketch or print. When the features and relationships are established, you connect them together with surfaces, blends, or chamfers, or integrate the features into a shaped enclosure. Sculptors work to an overall concept refined with details. Designing with CAD, you create details and the relationships between them, then fit an envelope around them, and/or design structures that connect them. Form follows function. Functional items are usually composed of primitive shapes, blocks, spheres/ellipses and conics, so the fastest workflow is achieved by being able to recognise which a shape is derived from. A 2D drawing only describes a shape from one viewpoint. Move away from that viewpoint by swinging your model around in space and it doesn't look like the 3D shape it was meant to convey any more, ie change the viewpoint and the shape isn't "overlaid" anymore. 2D shapes are conceptual guides, not templates.