logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mNsARCHitect  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 28, 2007 8:33:44 PM(UTC)
mNsARCHitect

i am a diehard mac user who has been looking for some time for a viable alternative to AutoCAD LT. right now i do not need 3D capabilities, just 2D drafting for Architectural work. i would like some opinions on how Concepts 2D compares with AutoCAD LT. i have downloaded the demo, but since i cannot save files, it is hard for me to set enough time aside in one sitting to get a good feel for the software.

i am primarily interested in XREFs and layer management. i use XREFs quite heavily in AutoCAD to do overlays of structure, electrical, hvac, etc...

any feed back with regard to how the programs compare would be useful.

thanks
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 1, 2007 7:25:31 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>>but since i cannot save files, it is hard for me

Send me an email (or private email in this forum) and I will send you a trial serial number that will allow file saving.

Tim Olson
Punch! Software
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
mNsARCHitect  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2007 6:05:35 PM(UTC)
mNsARCHitect

i am having the darndest time trying to figure out how to print from concepts 2D at a specific scale. i have looked at the model to sheets section of the user manual, but i can not get it to behave like the manual and the online demo indicate they should. specifically when i click model to sheed, i get the dialog box, but nothing else happens.

i have tried to input architectural type scales (like 1:96 for 1/8"=1'-0") but it does not accept this scale.

also, i would like to know how to set up sheet templates of my own.

i am begining to get the idea that this software may not be suited to architectural uses. any help in resolving this would be appreciated.
mNsARCHitect  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2007 6:07:21 PM(UTC)
mNsARCHitect

ps, how do i get it to print black lines? can i set it up to print line weight based on color?
Tim Olson  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2007 3:36:35 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

mNsARCHitect wrote:
ps, how do i get it to print black lines? can i set it up to print line weight based on color?

You will need to select the line, then select Pen:Color:Black.

You can create your own pen style (Pen:Style). A pen style includes color, width, and pattern. If you change an attribute of a custom pen style, all objects using the style will automatically update. You may want to set up different styles based on your print scale.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Tim Olson  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2007 3:41:30 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>i am having the darndest time trying to figure out how to print from concepts 2D at a specific scale.

Try using the File:Print Layout command to set your print drawing scale. FYI, normally we work at a scale =1 and the use the scale command in the Print Layout to control printed drawing size.

>> specifically when i click model to sheed, i get the dialog box, but nothing else happens.

The model to sheet tool will convert a 3D object into 2D. Since Concepts 2D will not create 3D, the only way to get 3D objects is with the import command.

>>i would like to know how to set up sheet templates of my own.
Open any of the existing files in the Templates folder, modify, than save back to this folder. This will then be displayed in the Layouts menu of the model to sheet dialog box.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
mNsARCHitect  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:14:03 PM(UTC)
mNsARCHitect

Tim Olson wrote:
Try using the File:Print Layout command to set your print drawing scale. FYI, normally we work at a scale =1 and the use the scale command in the Print Layout to control printed drawing size.

i am drawing a house plan at full scale. what is the proper notation to get the print to be scaled to 1/8"=1'-0"?

Tim Olson wrote:
The model to sheet tool will convert a 3D object into 2D. Since Concepts 2D will not create 3D, the only way to get 3D objects is with the import command.

so, how do i use the layouts with 2D drawings and get it to print at a specific scale without scaling the original house plan which i drew in at full scale?
mNsARCHitect  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:17:53 PM(UTC)
mNsARCHitect

Tim Olson wrote:
You will need to select the line, then select Pen:Color:Black.

You can create your own pen style (Pen:Style). A pen style includes color, width, and pattern. If you change an attribute of a custom pen style, all objects using the style will automatically update. You may want to set up different styles based on your print scale.

may i suggest incorportating into the Pen:Style adding plot color. i would really like the ability to draw in different colors that are associated to a certain pen width. it is much simpler to look at the drawing and know what lines will print what lineweight when the lineweight is associated to a color. but i want the printed lines to all be black without having to go though and change each line to white or black.
Tim Olson  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2007 7:58:36 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>i am drawing a house plan at full scale. what is the proper
>>notation to get the print to be scaled to 1/8"=1'-0"?

Try typing (0.125/12=0.0104) in the scale field of the print/page layout dialog box.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
mNsARCHitect  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2007 3:54:09 PM(UTC)
mNsARCHitect

thanks for all your help thus far.

i still do not understand how to use sheet layouts in conjuction with 2D drawings.

finally my trial license expires today, can it be extended by a week or two to allow me to figure out some of these printing issues. i really like the software, except the troubles i am having getting my drawings to paper. i would like a little more time to see how this works, before i give up on the software.

if i cannot get the digital drawing out to paper with satisfactory results, the software is of no use to me.

it would also be nice if the user guide was more specific to 2D rather than explaining processes for 3D that do not apply to 2D
myoung  
#11 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2007 6:56:58 AM(UTC)
myoung

I think the sort of problems this fellow is having are important to consider. These little interface snags are very hard to grasp when you start using CU, and I think they constitute the main barrier to new customers.

Putting this right would be a major re-jiggering of the interface, but really it's *got* to be done. The tools and operability of CU are excellent in my opinion, but managing things like the appearance of a 2D drawing, line weights, dimensioning, text, and so forth are wayyyyy to gnarly for most people, and they will just bail before they can dig in far enough to manage this stuff easily.

Because I have to jump in and out of CU, depending on the work I'm doing, I've had to re-learn these aspects of the program a few times, and it is never easy. Interface design is tricky stuff, and I'm not trivializing it (I've done some of it), but some effort here would pay off, big time. I've seen at least three potential customers walk away because of this issue, alone.
myoung  
#12 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2007 7:08:12 AM(UTC)
myoung

Tim Olson wrote:
>>i am drawing a house plan at full scale. what is the proper
>>notation to get the print to be scaled to 1/8"=1'-0"?

Try typing (0.125/12=0.0104) in the scale field of the print/page layout dialog box.

Yes, this works, but it's arcane. Because the trend is to make interfaces easier and clearer... it just hurts the ability of users who are accustomed to things like SketchUp and can't adapt to interfaces that demand the kind of concentration and ingenuity that veteran CU users often have. You ought to have these customers!
Tim Olson  
#13 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2007 12:34:02 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>the appearance of a 2D drawing, line weights, dimensioning, text, and so >>forth are wayyyyy to gnarly for most people,

We've been discussing several things to make setting drawing/object attributes easier. Plus some ideas regarding printing scale and print quality of line fonts. So we've got it on our radar:)
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
myoung  
#14 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2007 10:55:07 AM(UTC)
myoung

That's great to hear. I know it's a pain in the noodle to fuss with this stuff. So thanks.

It would be cool if the line and pattern editors were WYSIWYG
wcorbit  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2007 2:23:28 PM(UTC)
wcorbit

I have the same problem. I enjoy using this software to create 2D drawings, but have trouble printing them to paper with a title block and such. There seems to be much confusion about using the sheet layouts with 2D drawings. Please help Tim!
myoung  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2007 5:28:57 PM(UTC)
myoung

Yes, I agree — when the text and line style editor is overhauled, it would be a good time to work out sheet layouts. I still find it confusing... newer users are just boggled. I think it hurts people trying out the demo.
giulio.piovene  
#17 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2007 11:56:39 AM(UTC)
giulio.piovene

wcorbit wrote:
I have the same problem. I enjoy using this software to create 2D drawings, but have trouble printing them to paper with a title block and such. There seems to be much confusion about using the sheet layouts with 2D drawings. Please help Tim!

I have a lot problems with line weights (printing and on display), printing, drawing on scale, ecc..
So I decided to go for a refund!
If the new version of C2D will fix those problems I buy it again...
mNsARCHitect  
#18 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2007 3:55:33 PM(UTC)
mNsARCHitect

i am glad to see i am not the only one who had issues with lineweights and printing. i feel like i was getting close to figuring it out when my demo expired. i just cannot afford to purchase if the program is not going to work for me.

it would be great if the printing interface could be worked out and made clear. as it is right now it is very difficult to figure out, especially without any tutorials or instructions. the only instructions/ tutorials i found were for the 3d software and did not translate to the 2d software.