logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NickB  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2009 5:31:18 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Looks like [URL="http://www.alibre.com/"]Alibre Design[/URL] which fancies itself as a competitor to SolidWorks is having a $99 special for the forceable future. The offer is for V11.xxx and V12 which is a big leap forward is expected in the next few weeks, but even buying the $99 special and then upgrading to V12 is cheeper than the usual $999 that the package costs.

I see that Shark FX is also currently on special for $1795 - 20% = $1436 with a free upgrade to V6. How about being really bold and going to $99 + $499 for the upgrade to V6. Shark has the advantage of photorealistic rendering which Alibra Design does not have, although the next level up includes HyperShot (price unknown).

No idea how good Alibre is, but at that price it is very tempting to buy a seat just to have as a safety for those times when you have problems with Shark.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
zumer  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2009 8:45:14 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
You can't get parametrics like that anywhere else for $99. Surfaces and solids developed in VC/Shark are interoperable through .sat, IGES, step. It does basic 3D pdf, and can "collate" other pdf pages to the model page. Also does some variation on model-to-sheet which I haven't looked at so can't comment on how it works. I've used free Design Xpress for four or five years when I've needed the parametrics, which is full-featured but limited to 10 or 25 parts, depending on the version. I'm buying come Monday, too good to pass up. It's dedicated MCAD, the comparison to SolidWorks is valid, although of course it isn't comprehensive. Parametrics aren't very conducive to conceptualisation or freeform surfacing. It's complementary to other CAD, not alternative.
zumer  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2009 9:03:09 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Goodness! The Forum Fairy just waved her magic wand and made me a Senior Member. I'd like to thank my family and the members of the Academy, and I hope that I can play some small part as inspiration for those whose sweat is still trickling down their mechanical pencils onto the vellum.....

sorry, stream of consciousness just swept me away
ttrw  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:46:12 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: zumer Go to Quoted Post
Goodness! The Forum Fairy just waved her magic wand and made me a Senior Member.

Wait 'till you get to 1000! :eek: :D:D

I downloaded Alibre, and I hated it. It really reminded me of Pro/Engineer, not Solidworks. Actually, believe it or not, Shark reminds me of Solidworks! (Just one heck of a lot more fiddly. :mad: )
ttrw  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 15, 2009 4:13:06 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post

I see that Shark FX is also currently on special for $1795 - 20% = $1436 with a free upgrade to V6. How about being really bold and going to $99 + $499 for the upgrade to V6. Shark has the advantage of photorealistic rendering which Alibra Design does not have, although the next level up includes HyperShot (price unknown).

Alibre must be really desperate. But I think this plan will make them a lot more seats. If Shark FX was at $99 + a $499 upgrade (for say 1 month only), I'd certainly whip out my wallet too!

Tim? Whaddaya say? ;);)
tmay  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 15, 2009 11:05:47 AM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
Wait 'till you get to 1000! :eek: :D:D

I downloaded Alibre, and I hated it. It really reminded me of Pro/Engineer, not Solidworks. Actually, believe it or not, Shark reminds me of Solidworks! (Just one heck of a lot more fiddly. :mad: )

Tom,

Pro/e, especially the WF 5 version, is a good package for big projects, and not having tried Alibre, I can't speak for the comparison, but it appears to me that Alibre is attempting to mimic SW. (BTW, Pro/e WF 6 is getting the CoCreate treatment so expect it to compete head to head with NX Synchronous technology (2nd quarter 2011)).

But Shark reminding you of SW? How so?

Obviously Shark is and needs to evolve, but I would hope that it doesn't go down the path of SW, which caters to the mid range by throwing the kitchen sink of features at it.

It is my opinion that SW has become bloated attempting to compete with Catia, NX, and Pro/e. It requires too much real estate for the UI and really needs a makeover. Sure, you can customize the UI, but you still end up with a feeling that there isn't a holistic approach to the interface. SW would do well to create a version from scratch for Mac OSX, but that won't happen.

Which is why I still like and use Shark, even though it needs some more fleshing out, and even though I have to turn to SW and Pro/e for higher end MCAD. I'm waiting for SharkFX V6.0 with quite a bit of anticipation.

the other tom
tmay  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 15, 2009 11:10:27 AM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
Looks like [URL="http://www.alibre.com/"]Alibre Design[/URL] which fancies itself as a competitor to SolidWorks is having a $99 special for the forceable future. The offer is for V11.xxx and V12 which is a big leap forward is expected in the next few weeks, but even buying the $99 special and then upgrading to V12 is cheeper than the usual $999 that the package costs.

No idea how good Alibre is, but at that price it is very tempting to buy a seat just to have as a safety for those times when you have problems with Shark.

Regretfully, Hypershot Bunkspeed will not be the default renderer in any upgrades from 11.2 to 12, and you will have to pay for the HD version if you want it at all. SharkFX still seems to be a pretty good deal if you aren't needing a high level of MCAD functionality.
jdi000  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 8:45:55 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tmay Go to Quoted Post
Regretfully, Hypershot Bunkspeed will not be the default renderer in any upgrades from 11.2 to 12, and you will have to pay for the HD version if you want it at all. SharkFX still seems to be a pretty good deal if you aren't needing a high level of MCAD functionality.

Hi, Tom

Can you explain a little what high end MCAD functionality/features you would want to see?

Thanks

Jason
Windows 11, 10
tmay  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 11:37:46 PM(UTC)
tmay

Nothing exotic, but sheetmetal with flat pattern would be on my list, and 3D parametric constraints with a correspondingly higher level assembly mode would cover what most mechanical designers would need. I'm expecting to see a lot of improvements in Shark V6, and some of this may already be in the works or later in V7.

You can do all of this as is of course, but lack of a 3D parametric constraint manager and a more robust assembly mode make it difficult to create large assemblies that will handle design variances and changes.

the other tom
ttrw  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:56:09 AM(UTC)
ttrw

I'd have to agree with everything that tmay is saying.

Believe it or not, I've been commissioned to design and build some back garden dwellings (sheds to you and me), I've I've been using ViaCAD to design and assemble them. The ability to have proper 3D parametric constraints on assemblies and sub assemblies would be an absolute boon.

It would also be wonderful to have those sheetmetal tools too- especially for making up bespoke joist hangers etc.

I suppose, I'll just have to make with and put up?! :rolleyes:
posh.de  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:37:41 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
If Shark FX was at $99...

why not giving it away for free and maybe a nice ipod on top, just kiddin'...

...the royalties for the included 3rd party lics (LW, Acis, D-Cubed/Siemens) are already (much?) higher :eek:

being cheap is not the question *imho*

Norbert
tmay  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:23:05 AM(UTC)
tmay

I'd have to agree with everything that tmay is saying.

Believe it or not, I've been commissioned to design and build some back garden dwellings (sheds to you and me), I've I've been using ViaCAD to design and assemble them. The ability to have proper 3D parametric constraints on assemblies and sub assemblies would be an absolute boon.

It would also be wonderful to have those sheetmetal tools too- especially for making up bespoke joist hangers etc.

I suppose, I'll just have to make with and put up?! :rolleyes:

Might I suggest one of the fine Punch! Architectural products for your building commission...

On a serious note, it would be useful to be able to pull in a Punch! Architectural model as a backdrop in a rendering scene or as a "part" to use in ViaCAD or Shark, though I wouldn't expect to be able to edit the model. Different niches, but a little cross pollination might provide some unexpected benefits.

the other tom