logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
robcha  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:18:17 AM(UTC)
robcha

Hi!

Here is a feature request (that is quite easy to implement) that I think is great to have!
I learned about it in Modo a few years ago and it make so much sense.

In every textbox where you are entering values it should be possible to enter an expression including units.

For example, if units are set to mm. This conversions would be done on pressing enter:
"1m" -> "1000mm"
"1 inch" -> "2.54mm"
"3 cm" -> "30mm"

A second part of this would to include a calculator function for simple math.

"3.75/2" -> "1.875"
"1m/4" -> "250 mm"
"3*4.5cm" -> "135 mm"

It would also be nice to see units all the time in each entry field (for those who work in different units depending on the project you are working on).
zumer  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:40:06 AM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
PunchCAD evaluates equations and formulas in the data boxes and performs actions (say, drawing a line of f(x) length) with the product, you don't have to copy the result into another box to use it.
robcha  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:49:24 AM(UTC)
robcha

Hi Zumer!

Thank you for sharing this!

Ok, as you might notice, I'm new to ViaCAD, and the manual that comes with it is very short and probably is lacking a lot of information about how powerful the software is.
And I've gone through the tutorial videos. Maybe I've missed this.

Is a "data box" something different from the normal textboxes?

I'm not in front of my ViaCAD machine now, so I will try to check this out later.

However, I'm guessing there is no way to handle unit conversion as I suggested, or do you have to enable this with some settings?

Best regards,
Roberto

Originally Posted by: zumer Go to Quoted Post
PunchCAD evaluates equations and formulas in the data boxes and performs actions (say, drawing a line of f(x) length) with the product, you don't have to copy the result into another box to use it.
zumer  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 6:27:47 AM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
There is some automatic conversion, because .dxf used imperial dimensions as Autodesk's bequest to the field, so the factor of 25.4 to to convert to mm is accommodated. Other conversions like cm to mm or metres, or imperial fractions to imperial decimals, aren't. I don't think that that sort of conversion is particularly useful or likely to be commonly used, because the various fields that the drawings and data are used in usually stick to the standards generally used within their discipline, like mm as the base unit for mechanical engineering, or metres for surveying or civil engineering. I probably mean the same thing as you do when I use the term 'data' boxes instead of 'text' boxes, because we're describing objects parametrically, using data. In CAD, text boxes are usually boxes that actual text goes into, for 2D sheet drawings.
robcha  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:46:25 AM(UTC)
robcha

I never thought I would need it until I found out about it in Modo, and I often use it now. It is just very handy to have once you have tried it.

I work with designs in mm, but many times it will be much easier to think in centimeter or meters for the big parts and millimeters for the details.

For example, if I'm designing a table lamp, then most thinking will go in cm, but all the details will be in millimeters.
posh.de  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:46:30 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
if units in preferences is set to e.g. "millimeters" the input of other units in e.g. the length field of the line tool will yield the following results:

• '1m' = 1,000.0 mm
• '1cm' = 10.0 mm
• '1"' = 25.4 mm

hth,
Norbert