logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rojharris  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 28, 2007 7:35:02 AM(UTC)
rojharris

Hi all,

I am a Newbie to ViaCAD and nurbs modelling but am very experienced in subdivision surface modelling (lightwave/modo). I would like to know if there's a way I can export my meshed objects without triangulation? This would be super useful for me as I could then import into LW/Modo and sub-d the object, thus retaining super smooth adaptive edges on rendering.
At the moment I am trying to export then spend ages cleaning up the triangulated faces, which sometimes takes longer than building the model in the first place.

Many thanks.
Roger

p.s. If anyone can point me at some advanced nurbs tutorials I'd be most appreciative as I am struggling to get to grips with all these nifty new ways to model. I've done the hair dryer etc. but they are very basic. I'd like to know how to build complex surfaces for product design. You know, things that would be almost impossible with sub-d's. Cheers.
joev  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 28, 2007 12:13:52 PM(UTC)
joev

I had success searching for "solid modeling tutorials" on the net. Also, if you seek out competitors software, they often have tutorials than work very well with ViaCAD, most solid modeling software have similar tools and work flow.
norbertsf  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 28, 2007 9:52:36 PM(UTC)
norbertsf

rojharri,

Hope these help:
http://www.carbodydesign.com/tu...-design-3d-tutorials.php

Also try the main page for other links. Great resource. (tho more car related)
http://www.carbodydesign.com/

Norbert
rojharris  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 29, 2007 2:42:06 AM(UTC)
rojharris

Thanks guy's, I'll check them out.

No news on the triangulation issue then?

cheers
Roger
Juanxer  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 29, 2007 5:26:02 PM(UTC)
Juanxer

I think this could be useful to the EIAS crowd, too: If I remember well, EIAS does deal fairly well with quads, plus there is this EI SubD plugin, Encage, than accepts meshes as cages to subdivide and favours quads when using a Catmull-Clark algoruthm.
Tim Olson  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 29, 2007 9:03:47 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>>No news on the triangulation issue then?

Our display list supports a mixture of quads and tris. But I believe when we export, we convert all quads to tris. Perhaps when we add OBJ export we should consider exporting the mixture.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
rojharris  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2007 2:44:07 AM(UTC)
rojharris

Hi Tim,

Currently not all quads are converted, only those that are non-planar. An obj export that retained all quads, regardless of planarity, would be the ideal solution.