logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jedt3D  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2007 12:28:08 AM(UTC)
Jedt3D

.fact is good and well programmed feature. I love it and recall how well tessellation was done as in the old EI Modeler.

but for other application I use like Modo, Lightwave. I've to use .fact to a converter (Transporter from EIAS) convert it to be .obj/.lwo first.. and it's SLOW...

Any chance for ViaCAD user will get the other polygon format exporter? .obj is well for any pro application. It'd make ViaCAD more accessible for other 3D user who needs CAD. Since Transporter isn't a free utility for them.

Please Tim & Team.
________
[URL="http://dispensaries.org"]marijuana dispensaries[/URL]
joev  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2007 8:51:11 AM(UTC)
joev

It would be great to add those additional exports.

It would also expand ViaCAD's market -- to more 3D animators/modelers -- not just EI.
Jedt3D  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2007 7:32:30 PM(UTC)
Jedt3D

Dear Scott
Thank you for your reply, i feel so good with this forum when I see Punch's staff answer the question. Feel very comfortable.
In my small opinion, at least a well known and good format like .obj should be support. Since we have no other way to communicate your model (which is solid/surface NURBS) to other rendering package. I say like I've not had EIAS.
Have LW3D, 3dsmax, C4D, modo etc... but need some NURBS modeler..
- Rhino 3D ~ $900 .... has many polygon format export... but not as well tessellete as in ViaCAD/Concept 3D
- ViaCAD/Concept 3D .... very nice to combine with those softwares but many people won't feel good when they can't find out how to export at least a polygon format they know. Or add PolyTrans for $450 just for convert model in this case.

If you have .obj export, I can see it will make Rhino chill... you can gain more marget share from them for sure.

I'm not good in English but I hope you can get my point. ViaCAD, Concept 3D has no rendering, texturing inside. Concept Unlimited has this features. But for animation, some presentation that need more sophisticated rendering, we need to send to other 3D package.
So, why people buy ViaCAD when they have limit to communicate with outside world? Except they just need only ViaCAD has only.
So, I wish Punch will get some little opinion from a plain user like me. Even I have EIAS but I speak as I'm not an EIAS user.

---> OBJ OBJ OBJ OBJ OBJ OBJ OBJ OBJ OBJ OBJ

(I know, I know... I say obj for a hundred times... but I really need it ha ha...)
________
[URL="http://oxygenvaporizer.com"]vapir oxygen[/URL]
KurtF  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2007 7:38:49 PM(UTC)
KurtF

If .obj export is done well, with options for edge smoothing angle, possibly for uv space, it can be quite robust. Most animation/rendering applications can read and work with that format.

I'll add my vote for an .obj exporter as well.
Tim Olson  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2007 11:26:21 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
KurtF wrote:
If .obj export is done well, with options for edge smoothing angle, possibly for uv space, it can be quite robust. Most animation/rendering applications can read and work with that format.

I'll add my vote for an .obj exporter as well.

OBJ sounds pretty interesting, especially if it can support normal and texture coordinate per vertex. Scott has done some pretty exciting work lately regarding extending our data structures to support material & colors per face plus provisions for uv texture coordinates driven by the underlying surface parameterization. If that can all be preserved out to OBJ, that would be terrific.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
nabed  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2007 4:12:11 AM(UTC)
nabed

I agree: .obj is the way to go!
By far the most versatile polygon format that plays well with modern rendering and animation software.

As I pointed out in another post (http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=76), have a closer look at the quad/n-gon tesselation option of moi3D.
A similar functionality in CU/ViaCad would be a awesome!

Ciao, Nabed