logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tarmer  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2008 12:19:51 PM(UTC)
tarmer

Being a fairly new person to 3D CAD many of the tools such as the chamfer tool have a setback field. What is this?

I suspect that it's and additional amount that the feature would be moved. For example, if the Chamfer tool with the lengths option is set to a length of .2in with 0 setback would draw an imaginary line .2in from the edge along each of the faces connecting it in question then cut between these lines and removing the excess material towards the edge. I initially suspected that the setback then moves the cutting plane an additional amount forward or backward along a line draw between the center of the cutting plane and the edge without changing the original width of the cut. This would leave either a groove if the setback is positive, and a smaller chamfer if negative.

How close is my guess? Any enlightenment wold be appreciated.

Thanks,
Toby
mikeschn  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2008 5:30:40 PM(UTC)
mikeschn

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I've been doing 3d modeling for 22 years, and have never used a radius or chamfer setback.

I did find this picture on the web for you...
UserPostedImage

Mike...
ViaCAD Pro 12 on Windows; Viacad Pro 14 on Mac
bradcan  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 9:09:15 AM(UTC)
bradcan

Humm .. If that is what set back is, and I have no reason to doubt, it sure don't work in V6 that way. In fact it appears to do nothing!

Any body got any explanation?
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 9:45:25 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bradcan Go to Quoted Post
Humm .. If that is what set back is, and I have no reason to doubt, it sure don't work in V6 that way. In fact it appears to do nothing!

Any body got any explanation?

The image above is correct for a setback. A setback is the distance back from the shared vertex removed for blending. You will need three or more edges and you wont see the setback if its less than the radius.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
bradcan  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 11:04:14 AM(UTC)
bradcan

Well ... me. I've been solid modeling for years and I didn't know that. There's always something to learn. Thanks for the lesson.
Steve.M  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 1:17:52 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi bradcan,

Originally Posted by: bradcan Go to Quoted Post
There's always something to learn.

Certainly with Viacad 2d/3d. There is a lot in there, and many options usually only seen in cad at much higher price.

The setback, along with the "Vertex blend" is not something you may use or need to use, as Mike mentioned:-
mikeschn wrote:
I've been doing 3d modeling for 22 years, and have never used a radius or chamfer setback.

I personally have only used such features when modeling a more organic form for my modeling hobby, but really appreciate the fact that the options are there within Viacad.

- Steve
mikeschn  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 3:54:30 PM(UTC)
mikeschn

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
It works great over here.

UserPostedImage
ViaCAD Pro 12 on Windows; Viacad Pro 14 on Mac