logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thepopoman  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:51:10 PM(UTC)
thepopoman

.ai file image (also a photoshop file had the same problems). In Shark I can't resize the z axis and I can't use the extrude tool on the z axis to give it a 3rd Dimension. Not sure if there is some conversion into some kind of compatible object that is necessary or what? I can create a square at top and go to front and use the extrude tool (vector and distance I tried).
thepopoman attached the following image(s):
ThePopoManSharkSelectedGripped.jpg (71kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
ThePopoManSharkSelectedGrippedDistance.jpg (63kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
rockyroad_us  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:17:24 AM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 46 post(s)
How you played with the import options? I'm in sharkFX 968.
FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
thepopoman  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:43:30 AM(UTC)
thepopoman

Well I didn't understand them all but for Illustrator i checked all 3 import options and imported and later just the middle one and imported.

I tried photoshop and there are no import options. Seemed like it was working in Shark with the x and y dimensions but when I tried z again I couldn't extrude the z axis either directly with the gripper (non uniform) or with the extrude tool (tool second to the very left).

I'll try Photoshop again.

Dave
rockyroad_us  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:50:55 AM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Maybe post part of the file. I checked my last job and I have everything unchecked. I do recall importing custom text and extruding the sucker. The letters imported as groups.
FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
thepopoman  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:53:36 AM(UTC)
thepopoman

Ok thanks.

I'll try unchecking everything and importing and then try breaking it into smaller parts and try importing.

Dave
blowlamp  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:59:52 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

You aren't try to extrude that from a photograph (.bmp, .jpg, etc), by any chance are you?

Martin.
thepopoman  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 1:13:48 PM(UTC)
thepopoman

Well I tried extruding from an Illustrator .ai file (CS5) imported which is not a bitmap raster image (a vector). I tried exporting to photoshop from Illustrator and importing into Shark and also I tried exporting to PDF in illustrator and importing to Shark.

But the object is not acting like a simple rectangle created in Shark. I notice that areas in Photoshop and Illustrator which should be transparent have a white background to fill in the whole rectangle around the object in Shark which should not be the case but I don't know if this incorrect opacity/transparency is a clue to the problem or not.

It's acting like it needs to be converted somehow into a 3D object before it can be imported or converted to 3D after it's imported, since sometimes I can adjust the x and y size handles with the gripper.

I'll have to try Illustrator to 3D and then import and see what happens.

Thanks for the assistance.

Dave
blowlamp  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:05:33 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

It would be good if you could post the file here for us to look at.

Martin.
thepopoman  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:34:17 PM(UTC)
thepopoman

I created 4 views with all gripper options check marked ... but not sure if that's saved in the file or not.

Can't non-universally size it on the Z axis or use the extrude tool to extrude it on the z axis. Right now it's at least scaling up/down on the x and y axis but no z axis.

By the way if you want to scale on two out of the 3 axis at the same time... how do you do that with the gripper? Or do you have to use a different tool?

Dave

When I import is that linked or embedded?
File Attachment(s):
ThePopoManImportedFromIllustrator.sfx (166kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

thepopoman  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 3:50:20 PM(UTC)
thepopoman

I sent an attachment .sfx Shark file but I wasn't sure if the file I imported in it was embedded or not. So I tried to send another post with both files but the attachment manager seems to only let me attach one file at a time in a post. So not sure if people can see the .ai file or not.

Tell me if I'm wrong on that?

Let me know if you could view the CAD file and the Adobe Illustrator file.

I tried importing an illustrator file with all the options unchecked and it at least let me grip on the z handle and move it up and down but the image is still locked in 2D x and y space and the image increased size in the flat 2D x and y axis's. But did not get extruded to turn 3D.

Also transparency seems to have been lost since there is white on the outside filling up the square. Unless... I need to check transparency background color might default to white. I'll check that.

And I'll try importing one shape at a time next.

David Vicks
blowlamp  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 3:53:27 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

It won't extrude because it is a picture, not a vector.

Martin.
blowlamp attached the following image(s):
Capture.jpg (63kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

thepopoman  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 3:58:51 PM(UTC)
thepopoman

Well that makes sense. However I'm not sure how an illustrator file becomes a picture without you explicitly exporting it into one. Hmmmm.

I'll have to look at Illustrator's Save and Export options more carefully and the document properties as well.

Thanks that narrows it down.

David Vicks
thepopoman  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:33:06 PM(UTC)
thepopoman

I'm not sure I understand how an illustrator .ai file would NOT be a vector file.
I always thought illustrator art work was all vector unless you place something or export explicitly to bitmap.

It even has Rasterize... as one of the options in the effects menu.

So could you tell me how I should change it or save it or export from within AI so it is not recognized as a picture in Shark?
rockyroad_us  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:42:05 PM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

change the extension to .ps for postcript. I recall someone changing the .ai extension to .ps. However, they just added it after .ai. Not sure if that really matters.
FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
thepopoman  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:21:58 PM(UTC)
thepopoman

I used a simple square in illustrator and was ABLE to extrude it by exporting/importing it as a DWG/DFX format. But the gripper axis's were not working the directions I expected. I expected since the object appears at the top view in 2d that the z axis would be the 3rd dimension to extend/extrude it... however it seemed the color coded x axis was the axis from the gripper that worked. X Y and Z might be different in the standard CAD DFX/DWG formats or something like that.

However there should be a documented place where the right way to import/export for this simple extrude task should be done. Until I find that I'll have to keep experimenting. Start with Simple and slowly increase complexity. EPS didn't work either. Hmmmmm.

My more complex drawing (still pretty simple) had some problems. One was a font. I'll try to get rid of the type and try it again.

David Vicks