logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 30, 2014 12:24:38 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Layer Improvement Suggestion

I am finding that even when I turn off all layers except one with some text, my file is consuming 937mb to 1GB. At 1.6 GB it refuses to save, so, I lost an hour to two hours worth of work. The file size is at 82 MB. When the other layers were on, before saving, the file size would be around 172 MB.

I considered selecting all solids and exporting them to a separate file, but then as I want to purge the empTIED layers, that would also compel me to lose the empTY layers, layers I created as reservation. I have not tried, but I am afraid that even LOCKED empty layers will be lost in a purge/compaction.

It should be possible to without turning on all layers and such to tell VCP/Shark to deeply search and select for export all objects of a specified geometry type. I would then be able to select all solids, and flag ONLY THEIR layers for purge. Or, in the event I upgrade to a 64-bit system with more RAM, I could re-import those exported solids and have them go back into the trees/layers/branches they were stripped from.

It also would be nice layers turned off or other layers specifically selected/flagged could be made "dormant", to remove them from RAM. Their mere existence seems to consume RAM even when their layers are turned off. For me, this is a problem because its bulk increases loading times, saving times, and pushes my file ever closer to the 1.6 GB crash/no-more-saves limit.

This is also yet another example of it being necessary to allow us to snip and graft layers from one branch or tree to another. There seems to be no programmatic or logic reason why we can't. In anguish and grief over this crippling limitation -- one which exacerbates my ability to administratively reorganize my model's layers and transplant parts and objects (no drag n' drop between files with retention of layer properties such as name of layer/branch/tree/level -- I've decided that either there is nor priority/will, or there is some no-compete/no-man's-land situation. WE virtually NEVER get any response to some of these specific gripes about the layer tree.

I really, REALLY want to stay with Shark. I love the interface overall, and since there is not a bewildering array of stuff all over the interface or available to put on-screen, it tends to be easy to use, aside from some frustrations with thickening geometry that doesn't seem to be "questionable geometry".

Please, can we get some long-requested retro-upgrades in features instead of new ones that probably keep bogging down the code? There should be a moratorium on "significantly new" features until model to sheet, layer management, and annotations issues are fixed. Even rudimentary 16-bit/32-bit 1989 ship design software has text/labels that remain readable regardless of orientation of the model.

As for Compact Options:

Purged Deleted (I think Purged should be Purge, present action verb, not past tense)
Remove History
Empty Layers
Flatten Draw View

I used the first to in an effort to reduce my file's RAM consumption, hopefully by purging the Undo Stack.

But, on checking the file size, it does not show any change. I go to file, save, but save is dimmed out. I either have to edit the file to get "save" to become available, or I have to use "File, save as", just to find out whether Compact did anything meaningful for my file size and RAM consumption.

Compact (using the first two options) only shaved 7 MB from my file size. The RAM is only down to 954MB (vice 1.1 GB during save).

Closing the file and Shark and restarting Shark and reopening the file shows RAM consumption at 816,860 kb. Startup time did not meaningfully speed up.

I think the only way to get my file back into the 500MB range is to strip out the solids making the ship's hull. The deck plate solids are less of an issue because, I suspect, their geometry is vastly simpler -- flat plates with some curvature and face-matching operations. I have not yet created openings in the plates yet.

I guess I'll have to externally reference these, too.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 3:51:14 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Does anyone know of any trick or undocumented feature in Shark whereby one may designate contents of various layers to be "archived" and "exported" as x-refs?

It would be nice if there were batch file or macro capabilities in Shark LT and higher so that as a file becomes more bogged down with once-useful stuff that is deprecated by new curves and geomety, we could "lasso" stuff, tag it in some way, annotated IN THE LAYER INTERFACE, and export the stuff, then, optionally "clip/cut/delete" from the current, open parent file.

Then, later, when something that once was useful is needed to be called up, it could be x-ref'ed.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 29, 2014 5:45:12 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Hmmm,

It seems that how big my saved file becomes is dependent upon the view angle and number of solids or non-planar objects are in the view at save time.

Sometimes, I can turn off layers and then resave and the file will drop from 172MB down to just 48 MB. Sometimes, it isn't even necessary to purge history or purge deleted objects. Other times, purging makes no difference even if virtually all layers are turned off.

I've been more keenly monitoring the Task Manager. Once I get to around 1.2 GB, I stop, save, close, then exit SLT, then (sometimes restart windows), then restart SLT.

As for the exporting, I've already known that I can import an exported set of objects. Unfortunately, there is NO ability for the user to designate into what branch/level an imported item goes.

That has had possibly ONE benefit: saves time when shifting objects if I just put the curves, surfaces, and descriptive text tages on the same layer. Unfortunately, it takes away from me the amount of granular control I wanted with objects in the Concept Explorer.
memphisjed  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 5, 2014 3:06:13 AM(UTC)
memphisjed

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I have not had much luck doing my own x-ref. I have used files with gazillions and 5 before with full factories (think revit? made) when each trade/designer is given power over certain items. There is no way I could use vcp or acad if all items where not open. If I do them myself I get nothing.
remove text, and turn off hardware acceleration (seems counter intuitive, but works for opening used ram in program.) It appears that your computer is using system memory for the display.
I have tried some of the beta 64 sharks, and there is big potential there - the program can actually use ram. Still crashy, randomly crashy - 2 lines, or 20000 elements - random.