logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 8, 2014 6:04:31 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Push-Pull, in VCP 8 SLT is OVERLY presumptuous and aggressive in its anticipation of what the user is going to select for a push-pull operation.

Hiding everything BUT the involved objects is one way to nix it, but is easy to forget to do, and should not be the user's responsibility to rememeber.

My file is only 464 or so kb, and there are fewer than a dozen solids elegible for push-pull, and all of that is in 4 sets (not groups) spread out across the drawing.

When I click on the Push-Pull tool, when nothing is in view EXCEPT for what will be selected, P/P is blazingly fast, almost instantaneously activating, and as fast in cancellation of the command.

With P/P activated erroneously when lots of geometry is present, it can take forEVER for P/P to present the "do you really wannna abort me" dialog, and even after that, P/P doesn't give any progress indicator of it backing out of the command, how long it will take, or that it is unable to comply with that order.

Multiple times in less than 30 minutes, I've had to abort SLT just to not waste time. Fortunately, in all three or 4 instances, I'd saved my work before clicking on P/P, otherwise I'd have had to choose between losing work or wasting time waiting with no indication of how long I can go do something else while waiting on P/P.

I hope that SLT 9 does not do this. Push-Pull is becoming fun for exploring some new/exciting ideas I have -- except for the undesired behavior I described above
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 8, 2014 6:51:35 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I don't know whether SLT 9/Shark 9 trials exhibited this, but in v8, I was able to use Push/Pull successfully on a surface being intersected by a spline.

Later, I needed to translate, rotate, and again translate the circle, surface, and intersecting/cut line. I could not consistently use p/p. On some occasions, it was highlighing a surface beneath, as though multiples existed. There were two yellows, one yellow and one brownish. I copied the geometry to a new file and still could not. I then recreated the circle at z=0, copied in the spline, and for one instantiation, I could create the p/p surface.

A light went off in my mind and I translated the spine away from the surface and then projected it to the surface.

THAT enabled me to push/pull without any trouble. However, I tried lines, even snapping them to the quadrants of the circle, and still could not successfully p/p.
Fortunately, an ok workaround is in the projection of the curve.

Strangely, there was some ghosting of geometry being created on visibly apparently failed push-pull operations.
blowlamp  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 9, 2014 2:19:04 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Maybe a way around this lagging behaviour would be to give the option to click within a region to select it, rather than have ViaCAD/Shark try to find all the combinations in real time.

Martin.
rockyroad_us  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 9, 2014 10:07:22 AM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 47 post(s)
I have had to draw a line or rectangle here and there and preselect it so that P/P knows what to pull rather than to give me alternatives I don't want.

Drawing a line and not selecting it sometimes gives weird behavior like a region not wanted. You must select the line to get quick results.
FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work