logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MikeHolm  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 5, 2014 7:02:55 PM(UTC)
MikeHolm

Hoped that would get some attention, haha. Regardless, I am deciding whether to buy the Pro9 version and so far it seems pretty good for my Luddite brain. I am stuck on one thing so far and I cannot find a way out. Picture the face of a hockey puck. I need to drill a hole from the 9o'clock position and coming out at the 12 O'C spot but with a bend in the middle so that the hole just misses the centre point (hockey stick shaped). The problem is, every time I try to extrude the first part of the hole, it aligns on end on a non existent construction in the centre which I think comes from when the puck was formed around the origin. I used the lathe function.

Is this a good enough description? I'm stuck.....
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 6, 2014 5:25:22 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)

Hi Mike

Looks like from your description you will want to use a one rail sweep and subtract the holes shape from the the original object. I attached a file to look at.

Regards
Jason
File Attachment(s):
test.vc3 (27kb) downloaded 18 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Windows 11, 10
MikeHolm  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 7, 2014 6:14:09 AM(UTC)
MikeHolm

That is very close but the holes need to be drilled from the two ends so unfortunately they have to be straight holes. I thought to drill it 15deg off the plane so they could meet inside and avoid center. I see you did as I did and extrude the puck around the profile. For some reason, any single hole I make aligns it self with the original profile. I will try to reproduce it and show you.
MikeHolm  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 7, 2014 7:06:18 AM(UTC)
MikeHolm

Here is a copy of what I have tried to do.

Edited by user Friday, November 7, 2014 7:20:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
puck test1.vcp (17kb) downloaded 15 time(s).

MikeHolm  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 7, 2014 7:28:39 AM(UTC)
MikeHolm

After the puck is made, I start making a circle on face of the puck then try to extrude the hole but the circle always seems to find itself inside the part. No Idea why?
BillB  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 8, 2014 4:59:15 AM(UTC)
BillB

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
First, I would turn on display with shading and transparency so you can see what you are doing. Then you can select the circle, move it and the hole will follow, this is easiest done with the gripper. However I was going to suggest you need to use two holes with their defining circles outside the puck and manipulate them until you are happy with them, but strange things happen where the two holes meet*. So now I think that subtracting two cylinders from the puck would be the best solution.

* Tim

This is the file I used to drill two holes in the puck. As either of the two circles is moved inwards one of the holes disappears and then reappears.
File Attachment(s):
puck%20test1.vcp (74kb) downloaded 10 time(s).

Bill Bedford

Viacad Pro 11 (11417)

OS X 10.13.6
MikeHolm  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 8, 2014 5:36:26 AM(UTC)
MikeHolm

Fellows,
I'm not sure how you do that and i am curious as to why my hole seems to anchor itself at origin. This is despite creating the hole on the surface, and setting the two points and length. I do see how in one of the tutorials, the workplane is outside the part and JDI part shows that but I have not been able to reproduce it.

JDI, your curved part is elegant and would be great if I was going to cast the part, which I may yet do.

jdi000  
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 8, 2014 7:25:07 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)

Mike

Your circle is at the origin, maybe when creating the circle the snap was "on" for the origin. With that round puck shape some construction geometry is helpful so you can get the holes where you need them.

You can create these holes as a circle then cutout, use the hole tool, or extrude a solid and subtract from the main solid

Regards
Jason
File Attachment(s):
test2.vc3 (43kb) downloaded 11 time(s).

Windows 11, 10
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2014 7:41:27 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
After a few days away, I'm back on this part and starting from scratch. Another issue is that I have created the puck where the curved portion is actually the profile of a 50mm ball, the straight sides don't quite meet the curved part so i used the corner joining function to connect them. I am not able to click on the sides to join them. They do not highlight so some reason. IS there a function that will not allow this kind of action?

Odd, it put me in as a guest

Mike

Edited by user Tuesday, November 11, 2014 7:43:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified