logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
solidtooldesigns  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2016 10:36:22 AM(UTC)
solidtooldesigns

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I was just thinking that Dynamic Surface Extend would be awesome. If it could also not just extend but shrink back that would be great. Something like Push/Pull but for surfaces.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 2, 2016 10:38:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Craig  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2016 2:30:28 AM(UTC)
Craig

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 36 post(s)
You can use the gripper and other surface tools.
solidtooldesigns  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:36:24 AM(UTC)
solidtooldesigns

Thank you for the tip. Yes the gripper is great, and you can turn on control points and move those with the gripper to extend but it's not the same as surface extension.

Another thing that can be done is thickening the the surface and using move face or push/pull. This kind of works as well. But these functions work are referenced from the face you are pulling, not so much the surface itself.
Craig  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2016 1:44:32 PM(UTC)
Craig

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 36 post(s)
The surface and solids utilities are really powerful once you get to grips with them.
murray  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2016 2:13:39 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
There are a couple of ways of approaching this with Shark and VCP. They're not push/pull or dynamic, but elevating a surface and extending its edges does some of what you want to achieve, as does rebuilding a surface and untrimming it. They're both arbitrary, though, so they break the surface's associations. One difficulty is that tangents can vary along the edge of a surface, so you're asking the program to decide on how the surface's tangency should be extended, ie whether it should be constant relative to some point along the edge, or whether it should be continuously variable, and if that's so, the parameters of variation aren't specified either.
mitchb  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2016 2:57:44 PM(UTC)
mitchb

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Have you looked at the "Surface Extend " tool. Put the distance in the offset box and click on the edge, a minus distance will shorten it.

Mitch
mitchb attached the following image(s):
Screen Shot 1.png (66kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Tim Olson  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2016 3:48:00 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>Have you looked at the "Surface Extend " tool. Put the distance in the offset box and click on the edge, a minus distance will shorten it.

Yes, I think he's asking for a push/pull UI on top of this tool.

>>the program to decide on how the surface's tangency should be extended,

We are using a natural extension which means it keeps g2. Extending an arc will create a circle.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
solidtooldesigns  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2016 5:41:07 PM(UTC)
solidtooldesigns

Tim that is exactly what I was thinking. Having it be push / pull while maintaining the natural g2. That being said, what we have currently is very powerful and I am certainly not complaining. I just wanted to throw the suggestion out there, do with it what you will.

All these suggestions I am making are not to be critical of the software. I'm very happy with it and it's more powerful than I had originally thought. I was thinking of it as a support software but I'm beginning to wonder if it should be my main design software. It's handled the larger designs I've opened faster then some of the other softwares.

Now I'm just deciding if It's going to be Shark or ViaCad. The Value in shark for me is in the extra surfacing tools (guided loft, guided cover surface and blend options) and the ability to save 3d pdf files. Just not sure I want to spend the extra for them though. Right now the Canadian dollar is really hurting too so that doesn't help with the affordability. Does shark ever go on big sales like 50% off ?