logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
24c  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2016 4:01:24 PM(UTC)
24c

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Hi,

I'm just putting these up as examples of what I get up to in Shark FX. I don't usually render stuff, as I am only creating models for CNC using STEP exports.
I have a sad interest in an old engine, so I am often making bits for it, and developing ideas using Shark FX.
I am self taught, so I probably do things the long way round, and I am grateful for this forum and its questions for making me look at how other folks tackle shape generation etc.

This is a front piece of a crankshaft, a split assembly of an earlier version, and a quick mock up of a cylinder and combustion chamber to compute using Properties, the volume and evaluate compression ratios.
The models will get more refined as they develop, but for now they are good enough for what I need.

Mike
24c attached the following image(s):
Front_crankshaft_part.jpg (155kb) downloaded 19 time(s).
test_combustion_chamber_volume.jpg (232kb) downloaded 18 time(s).
crank-041-split-front.jpg (307kb) downloaded 12 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
macOS 14.3.1 (Sonoma) - MacBook M1 Max 64GB 2TB SSD & external display - SharkCAD Pro v14.1.0 build 1652
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2016 6:46:35 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)

Mike

Thanks for sharing! Its great to see the success and accomplishments with the software.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
macnavi  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2016 12:20:50 AM(UTC)
macnavi

Netherlands

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
That's the way to keep old cars alive! I've got a classic Mini. Fortunately, there is enough market for them to have spare parts, but otherwise I would have to go the way you do.

Interesting to see other's people work. You immediately start to analyse how they designed some parts, like the sheets (cooling block?) on the second model.
My model steam trams at Tramfabriek.nl

Mac OS X El Capitan 10.12.5 - VC Pro v12
24c  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2016 5:06:19 AM(UTC)
24c

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Hi macnavi & thanks Jason,

I have got more complicated models, but Shark FX is my tool of choice for "reverse engineering" parts.
I have tried it on house extensions, and building work, but it's faster to draw by hand, and personally Shark is a little clunky in this respect.

I do have a 3D scanner, but the mesh to solid conversions are problematic as the scanner generates too much info.
I have tried using third party software to reduce the sizes, but this area is a serious number crunch for the computer, and too often SharkFX is not responding...but it really is, and just bogged down.
I once left the computer churning for 2 days! :)

Generally I construct stuff using lines & extrusions, but sometimes lathing, adding and subtracting solids. I rarely use the Gripper, as I know the sizes I want.
I do tend to use the "Push Pull" & "Remove Face" tools, as this is a quick way of cleaning up imports or generating incremental versions as I design and evolve my solutions.

To do the "sheets" aka fins, I drew a smart polygon, spaced them a known distance to a curved profile, using copy and paste, and lathed them all 180º, but I'm sure they are better ways, and that's the beauty of dropping in here or watching Tim's video, because there's always useful snippets.

Another underrated technique is to use a 2D flatbed scanner, and import jpeg images etc and using transparency draw over the features and lathe or extrude details etc as required.
This is a hangover from my industrial model making days.

Mike
More doodles..

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
24c attached the following image(s):
cylinder-cast_scans_CAD-overlay.jpg (256kb) downloaded 11 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
macOS 14.3.1 (Sonoma) - MacBook M1 Max 64GB 2TB SSD & external display - SharkCAD Pro v14.1.0 build 1652