logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
UGMENTALCASE  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 23, 2018 3:36:16 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 303 time(s) in 205 post(s)
Morning all,

Wanted to share this if anyone like me uses laser tracking points, OTP points, data from CMM etc. I've come up with a way to get global points and create a table of points using the BOM feature. Copy the attached Pointslist.bom into the correct directory. Once you have all your points in space, place a small sphere on each point, and label each sphere (otp.1, otp.2 etc.) Then Select all spheres, go to create a bom and select the Pointslist.bom file. This file is made up using the c of g code, so it will find the centre point of each sphere, and give you a global point position. Good thing with this, is if you move any points, you simply select them all again, select the correct bom from the pull down list, and hit update bom and bang all updated. Must admit the bom feature with update is really good.

I tried numerous ways to do this without adding spheres, but couldn't figure it out. Anyway it's there if you need it

Cheers
File Attachment(s):
PointList.zip (1kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
UGMENTALCASE attached the following image(s):
OTP.JPG (55kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
thanks 2 users thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
GARLIC on 2/23/2018(UTC), Jolyon on 2/23/2018(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 23, 2018 7:15:03 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

What would be absolutely mega here is if we can get the bom working from the coordinate system. In the preferences, you can select use work plane for coordinates point entry. So I've just tried it and it works really well. If only we could change the origin, and then run the bom again and get the figures showing different coordinates.

Probably just for me from a selfish point of view, I do a lot of Aircraft tools, and we work in both wing and local systems. I guess there probably isn't much call for that type of thing, unless some one can tell me otherwise? Would it be difficult to get the bom working from where ever the datum axis is?
GARLIC  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 23, 2018 8:15:56 AM(UTC)
GARLIC

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Originally Posted by: UGMENTALCASE Go to Quoted Post
What would be absolutely mega here is if we can get the bom working from the coordinate system. In the preferences, you can select use work plane for coordinates point entry. So I've just tried it and it works really well. If only we could change the origin, and then run the bom again and get the figures showing different coordinates.

Probably just for me from a selfish point of view, I do a lot of Aircraft tools, and we work in both wing and local systems. I guess there probably isn't much call for that type of thing, unless some one can tell me otherwise? Would it be difficult to get the bom working from where ever the datum axis is?

Could AeroPack as an addon to Shark be of any help in your situation ?
https://www.darcorp.com/Software/Shark/

Regards
G.

UGMENTALCASE  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 23, 2018 9:03:54 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

I'd have to upgrade to Shark first :-) Yeah I've had a read of that addon previously, and it looks good, but not sure I'd make use of it. We tend to be given aircraft models to work around.

But thanks for the link :-)