logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages«<234
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
UGMENTALCASE  
#61 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2019 10:18:40 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
Hi Tim,

thanks for the info, but how do you control any of this with sketches? Can you see what I'm doing? The examples are good but they are literally just wavy lines. What do we do if we want to control those lines. Every time I do it, it fails?
UGMENTALCASE  
#62 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2019 12:36:27 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: UGMENTALCASE Go to Quoted Post
Hi Tim,

thanks for the info, but how do you control any of this with sketches? Can you see what I'm doing? The examples are good but they are literally just wavy lines. What do we do if we want to control those lines. Every time I do it, it fails?

Hi Tim,

I've spent a considerable amount of time today going through a large amount of scenarios to try this out. Basically wiggly line = good result. Controlled/measured lines = nothing.
You can not use either of these tools when using sketches. I'm happy to use a sketch then change that to a control spline, but even that doesn't work. I've just had an instance, repeated over and over, of it telling me the somethings aren't perpendicular to the curve. Well they are, I put them perpendicular and even used the snap tool to try moving them and checking them.

SO unless I'm missing something, which was the original question, how do you use these tools properly to model something which can be modified or controlled with constraints, or some form of figures/values on line lengths?

If I'm reverse engineering pipe work, the centreline tool is great, but real world things, like me trying to take one diameter along a length down to a smaller diameter just doesn't work. Can you advise otherwise?
Art Smith  
#63 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2019 2:36:43 PM(UTC)
Art Smith

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Hi Tim,

Hi Tim,

I've spent a considerable amount of time today going through a large amount of scenarios to try this out. Basically wiggly line = good result. Controlled/measured lines = nothing.
You can not use either of these tools when using sketches. I'm happy to use a sketch then change that to a control spline, but even that doesn't work. I've just had an instance, repeated over and over, of it telling me the somethings aren't perpendicular to the curve. Well they are, I put them perpendicular and even used the snap tool to try moving them and checking them.

SO unless I'm missing something, which was the original question, how do you use these tools properly to model something which can be modified or controlled with constraints, or some form of figures/values on line lengths?

If I'm reverse engineering pipe work, the centreline tool is great, but real world things, like me trying to take one diameter along a length down to a smaller diameter just doesn't work. Can you advise otherwise?

UGMENTALCASE-

assuming you know where the starting and ending circles are in 3D space (ie: location & orientation), what else do you know and/or want with respect to constraints that relate to the surface that connects the two circles? your situation appears to have a good deal in common with an intake manifold runner project I had a couple of years ago.

Art
[email protected]

UGMENTALCASE  
#64 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2019 2:45:23 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Hi Art, its just like the blue pipe posted a couple of posts back in this thread. Only one end has a different sized circle.

With the constraints I want to be able to extend the lengths between the circle and the bend. So I can maybe make one length longer than the other and so on
CADCAM  
#65 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:50:20 AM(UTC)
CADCAM

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I'm on Shark V10 with powerpack and wouldn't mind centerlines skins and constraints. Two really cool things, but honestly... the upgrade prices on Punchcads web site are bullshit.
I got into ViaCad and then Shark because it was value for money, but I have no idea what has happened...
Tim Olson  
#66 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 10:54:27 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>>Tim has said that TC's excellent mesh handling and Booleans are to be crossed into PunchCAD,

Yes. We have successfully moved TC mesh handling tools into a library for all IMSI products. You will see new mesh boolean and decimate tools in v12 using this shared technology.

>>maybe TC's drafting palette code can improve PunchCAD's MTS.
I've been banging my head on this one. In TC2019.5 PC we improved the performance of this tool plus added a new tool called FlatShot which is similar to AutoCAD's FlatShot and Rhino's Make2D command.
With both TC PC Drafting Palette and ViaCAD/Shark Model to Sheet, "issues" are introduced by making the tool too smart by trying to preserve previous states. Issues arise for major changes in the model. FlatShot is super simple by removing the associativity and attempting to preserve previous attributes through major modifications.

>>SCP PPP V10 does what I bought it to do

Hang on to to that version. You can keep multiple versions on your computer. We unfortunately lost the SubD to NURB license which I always thought was amazing technology along the lines of T-Splines. We are working on a V12 for SharkCAD Pro, which will hopefully add some sheet metal tools. Some of which I'm stealing from TC PC:)

Tim

Edited by user Tuesday, September 17, 2019 10:57:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
UGMENTALCASE  
#67 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:01:53 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
>> You will see new mesh boolean and decimate tools in v12 using this shared technology.

Hold on, there's a version 12 being talked about? I, along with a lot of others, have only just got V11. I'm hoping Version 11 isn't like windows vista!!!!!!
Tim Olson  
#68 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:33:50 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>>Hold on, there's a version 12 being talked about?

Yes. Our business model has not fully accepted forced yearly subscriptions, still promoting perpetual licenses and service packs. Which means we need to have a yearly release for our products.

Tim

Edited by user Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:34:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
crzymnkydev  
#69 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 2:55:18 AM(UTC)
crzymnkydev

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
Hello Wolfgang

>> I’ve reported a very serious bug to the developers of VCP, regarding the generation of STL files,

We have a 1441 WIP build available which was uploaded 1-2 weeks ago and is the latest. Can you remind me what the serious STL bug was?

Tim

Tim,

sorry for the delay. I haven’t got any notes about updates on this topic. The bug I’ve reported was, that you cannot update the preview while being in the STL-Export-View without having VC to crash immediately. I’m using version 1417 and an update check does not show a newer version.

Thanks in advance,
Wolfgang
Claus  
#70 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 3:58:12 AM(UTC)
Claus

Denmark

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 27 post(s)
I reported this as well, it cost me quite a lot of work. Rather than wait for a fix I changed behavior, I never again click that button EVER. I finally abandoned V11 so now I'm back in V10 with a bug they left in, when reading in a file I have to constantly move the mouse or the process will stall. I'm talking about the final build of V10 that I actually paid money for and use professionally.