logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
murray  
#21 Posted : Sunday, February 2, 2020 3:15:31 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
I got different results to you, Chris. PowerPack mesh to analytic consolidated some of the external facets into conical surfaces, dropped the surface/facet count from 6836 to 2724, 4.4Mb exported as .stp. I think it should have converted the internal facets into conical surfaces and more of the external cylindrical/conical surfaces too, though. I've tried altering settings to see if I can make that happen, the "curve simplify" setting at top looks to me like it should be most influential, but no result yet. PowerPack's "segment analytic" is useful for separating the converted parts of the mesh sequentially to make settings appropriate for sections rather than global, which can make rebuilding easier if you aren't settling for default result. I used Shark Pro V10 with PowerPackPro, which version are you using? V10 Pro sez it can use IntegrityWare's stitcher for higher facet counts than 3K, ACIS for fewer, but does V11 still have IntegrityWare's stitcher?
This camera adapter's facet count is so high because of the fillets applied to the edges, and that's somewhere that mesh to analytic ought to be finding toroidal surfaces, IMO, but isn't. Some of the fillet regions have been given a hard edge, others haven't been detected. I think PP could be improved by operators being able to highlight facet sections that are obviously derived from planes, toruses, conics, cylinders, or which are obviously intended to be those shapes, and being able to direct PP to fit the suitable shape as closely as possible to that facet selection set. To be able to match nominated axes, edges and other features to others on the same object, as well.

Edited by user Sunday, February 2, 2020 3:29:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

murray attached the following image(s):
cameraAdaptermeshtoanalytic.PNG (98kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
UGMENTALCASE  
#22 Posted : Sunday, February 2, 2020 3:20:52 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
I used ViaCAD V10 Pro with Power Pack for this. But I changed the stitcher myself to the one which is greater than 3k facets. Also Jacked up the points to make a circle to around 8, not tried it lower just assumed it would make some sort of difference. I'll have a little play with V11 see what happens
UGMENTALCASE  
#23 Posted : Sunday, February 2, 2020 3:34:53 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Murray, has your longer end tapered off? Mine did that originally then I edited the shape tolerance and it brought it back straight. V11 Doesn't let you pick a stitcher but I'm just trying changing it to quads and then switching it to solid see what happens with a high count of points to make circles
murray  
#24 Posted : Sunday, February 2, 2020 4:51:59 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

What shape tolerance did you amend it to? After your suggestion, I've tried increments down to below value 1 with no change, remained tapered. Is there more than one stitcher or is it only ACIS now? Maybe it ought to be suggested that the 3K limit be dropped, TurboCAD doesn't have it, things get slower the more facets there are, but Instep recommends keeping the facet count below 100K for their own product, and TurboCAD will handle that too.
UGMENTALCASE  
#25 Posted : Sunday, February 2, 2020 4:56:57 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

I did 0.1 tol in both boxes. Then my taper went away. Not sure, but in V10 there's a pull down tab to pick the stitcher but not in v11
Also checked revolved surfaces which is unchecked in your image a couple of posts back
murray  
#26 Posted : Sunday, February 2, 2020 5:17:19 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Tim said the license for mesh to nurbs was gone with PPPro, that must be the IntegrityWare license gone, does that mean mesh to analytic is developed in-house? When I noticed that the main body has an axis feature, I focussed on revolved shapes too. If you revolve a line in PunchCAD, it's identified as SOR, surface of revolution. Something else that would be useful is clues to how mesh to analytic recognised the surfaces. Profile surface is good, but "skin surface" is anonymous. What profiles were skinned, how were they derived?

Edited by user Sunday, February 2, 2020 5:18:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

joareikuh  
#27 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2020 3:57:47 AM(UTC)
joareikuh

Hi

I took the decision to go the "FreeCAD"- way (thanks to murray.
And it works fine - but importing the .step file is not possible with ViaCAD 9/10. The program will crash trying an import.
So I tried it with ViaCAD 11 PRO - with this software it works fine.

With this experience I think I'll not buy further versions of ViaCAD. My impression is, that ViaCAD works not really reliable and stable - specially in the area of transforming file formats.
FreeCAD seems a lot more matured in the area.

So - thanks to all for the support and knowledge transfer

regards
Jo