logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
creativecad  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2020 11:07:00 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 40 post(s)
For years I have been using AutoCad Lt for my business, and for years I have been playing with ViaCad hoping I could switch to using ViaCad. I could never get ViaCad's dimensions to change with the 3d parts. I just figured the program's dimensions were unable to change. Therefore, I just keep using AutoCad.

Finally tonight after seeing V12 saying nothing about updating dimensions, I decided to fiddle with the 3d dimensions in my v10 version.

Amazing! After showing points on the dimensions, the dimensions moved when I moved the 3d faces. There is hope.

Istill have a lot more control of the AutoCad dimensions with exact scaling, text rotation and location. I can create a baseline dimension around a curve in AutoCad by placing a dot for the baseline arrow and arrows for the other arrows. Then I use AutoCad's angle dimensions to go around the curve and replace the angle dimensions text with the length.

I cannot get ViaCad's curve dimension to work right for me.

I do use ViaCad for some jobs depending on the application. Maybe between Punchcad making some improvements, and me getting better with these dimensions I can switch to solo ViaCad.

It would really be nice if ViaCad's text (and dimensions) would have an option to blot out the area behind the the text so that you would not have to trim out all of the stuff behind the text to make the text more readable.
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10
creativecad  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2020 9:30:37 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

It seems that if I use the smart dimension with the 3d solids, then there is no moving the vertex points. They are stuck fast. If I stretch the model longer, the smart dimension will not stretch with it. The problem with this is I cannot draw a template. For example, If I make custom frames, they are made the same way, but some are longer and some are shorter. I could make a template file and just stretch the frame to the size I needed, but if the dimensions don't stretch with it, then I have to re-dimension every frame.

That is no good. And that is what I am running into. I design gates, handrails, and staircases, but I cannot make a 3d template file with dimensions that stretch when stretch the parts to different lengths. I am having to re-dimension every drawing.

Hoping this can be resolved in the program.

Best regards,

Sam
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10
creativecad  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2020 9:50:55 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

So it would be very nice if the match face tool and move face tool would extend the attached dimension vertex with the face it was extending.
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10