logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Keith2019  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2020 7:05:27 AM(UTC)
Keith2019

Australia

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hello, this is my first post.

I have both TCMac Pro V11 and V12 with the Powerpack. I have noticed if I draw a part in V11 it shows all items in the Explorer Feature tree. However if I import this file into V12 it initially shows all items in the Feature tree, but if I only move the part it reduces the Feature tree to an ACIS Solid. The same occurs if I draw the same part from scratch in V12. Below shows the same parts, but one with a full list in the feature tree and the other showing the ACIS Solid.

I find it very difficult the post edit the ACIS solid if I want to make a change.

I would be grateful if someone might have some suggestions or advice on how to prevent the ACIS solid from occurring and keeping the full list of items in the Feature Tree. I have had a good look at the options and settings in V12 but no luck with finding a solution.

Thank you,
Keith

Keith2019 attached the following image(s):
Long Feature Tree.png (161kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
Short Feature Tree.png (145kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
murray  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2020 2:02:36 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
If you move the bare part without its profiles, paths and other generating objects, that breaks the links/associations between them and deprecates the solid. Make sure you're saving and importing them together, and moving them together, whether v11 or 12.
thanks 1 user thanked murray for this useful post.
Keith2019 on 10/22/2020(UTC)
Keith2019  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2020 7:36:08 PM(UTC)
Keith2019

Australia

Thank you Murray for your kind help.

Keith
Claus  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2020 6:55:42 AM(UTC)
Claus

Denmark

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Originally Posted by: murray Go to Quoted Post
If you move the bare part without its profiles, paths and other generating objects, that breaks the links/associations between them and deprecates the solid. Make sure you're saving and importing them together, and moving them together, whether v11 or 12.

Murray,

sorry to correct but this is normally not the case or at least not expected behavior. You can move a solid without it's curves. It should keep it's history and the transforms should record in the history tree. However sometimes things break for reasons unknown and history is lost.

Cheers

Claus
MPSchmied  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 25, 2020 6:50:29 PM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Claus Go to Quoted Post
However sometimes things break for reasons unknown and history is lost.
Not only sometimes, i will say,very often.

Edited by user Sunday, October 25, 2020 6:51:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
jlm  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2020 5:09:51 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 94 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MPSchmied Go to Quoted Post
However sometimes things break for reasons unknown and history is lost.
Not only sometimes, i will say,very often.

Agree ! We can't trust history ...

My workaround is to use a complex strategy : keep 4 different sub-layers for each object.
1) Geometry (lines and curves, profiles).
2) Surfaces (when needed, to split, stitch, etc...)
3) basic volumes (extrude and lathes "bricks" with limited modifications)
4) solid volume (copied and pasted basic volumes with all the booleans, blends and shells) = one object

When I loose history of a solid volume (4) I have everything ready in the other layers to rebuild it in a minute.

thanks 2 users thanked jlm for this useful post.
GARLIC on 10/26/2020(UTC), Christian Hallauer on 10/27/2020(UTC)
murray  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2020 2:42:56 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Originally Posted by: murray Go to Quoted Post

Murray,

sorry to correct but this is normally not the case or at least not expected behavior. You can move a solid without it's curves. It should keep it's history and the transforms should record in the history tree. However sometimes things break for reasons unknown and history is lost.

Cheers

Claus

Claus, I may be wrong to say that it will break associations, but as you say, there are circumstances, known and unknown, that cause it to happen. Relying on unreliable conditions is not good practice, IMO, so I advise against it. If association is lost, abstracted data like translation vectors lost with the history tree, but if the profiles and paths, which most often constitute edges of the solids when they're created, are translated with the solid, do lose their association, it's trivial to rebuild the solid in its most recent state and restore them, as jlm describes.
thanks 1 user thanked murray for this useful post.
GARLIC on 10/26/2020(UTC)
Keith2019  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 27, 2020 6:32:27 AM(UTC)
Keith2019

Australia

Hello All,

Thank you for your follow up comments on this issue.

Regarding the issue with V12, I did have a bit of success with the Feature tree now keeping some history by clicking the "Factory Page" button on the Preferences "General" Tab. The "Enable Auto Resolve" was already ticked, but I seems to be working a bit better. Picture shown below. FYI, V11 seems to keep its history in the Feature Tree, and as such, I have tried to check all the setting / preferences between V11 and V12 and I think the are all the same.

Still Interesting with V12, if I have a bit of history showing the Feature Tree, it will all go to an ACIS as soon as I apply a Radius to an edge. Below are some Pictures I hope help to explain the issue.

Again, and suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Keith

Keith2019 attached the following image(s):
Pic 1A.png (325kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
Pic 1.png (253kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
Pic 2.png (73kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
Pic 3.png (248kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.