logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Claus  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2007 12:10:43 PM(UTC)
Claus

Denmark

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Hi,

today I bought some trees for an architectural project from

http://www.doschdesign.com

Since CU is very limited with poly import, I bought the 3ds version.

I need to export to Maxwell Render. As poly export from CU is very limited as well, the only choice is to export as DXF.

Now, first of all CU will not export groups to DXF. Any groups present in a file results in empty files.

So I ungroup the tree resulting in 7000 single elements. And on export a 270K 3ds import exports to a 7,2 MB dxf file!!! And needless to say, all decals are lost. An attempt to render the tree in CU takes MINUTES to generate meshes.

This is not acceptable. CU handles polys wery bad!

Claus
bmeissner  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2007 2:25:19 AM(UTC)
bmeissner

Claus,

tasks like this one should be done using a polygon modeler, not a CAD surface/solids application. FormZ (which is kind of a hybrid modeler) and other polygon-only modelers could do this without problems. If it helps to avoid troubles, I could offer to convert the files for you, to (almost) any needed format. Contact me privately via info [at] meissner-dokuteam [dot] de.

Bernd
Tim Olson  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 15, 2007 10:39:34 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>>Now, first of all CU will not export groups to DXF.
>>Any groups present in a file results in empty files.

I could not repeat. I was able to export grouped objects and read them back in. The group heirachy was not preserved as dxf does not support it. Do you have a small .cu sample file?
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Claus  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2007 12:00:10 PM(UTC)
Claus

Denmark

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Tim:

Sorry, my mistake. The freshly imported mesh would not export, but after converting to mesh in CU (resulting in 8000 single objects) it exported fine but without decals of course. My other comments still stand however.

Bernd:

Thanks for your very kind offer. I turned to Doshdesign for help and they offered me to download the Maxwell Render version of the trees free of charge. That's what I call service.

Regarding choice of modeler, all I want to do is to be able to place mesh objects in a scene, not to do extensive editing of them. Since CU exports tesselated files anyway it should be possible only I don't want the large file sizes CU creates of small meshes.

Claus