logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nabed  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 4:53:07 AM(UTC)
nabed

This has probably already been brought up (although I couldn't find a specific request), but here is it anyway:
Is there any possibility of solidworks import capability for Shark/sharkFX.
I remember it was mentioned somewhere as a feature of Spatials ACIS R19 (?).

Tim, any news on This?
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:06:10 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nabed Go to Quoted Post
This has probably already been brought up (although I couldn't find a specific request), but here is it anyway:
Is there any possibility of solidworks import capability for Shark/sharkFX.
I remember it was mentioned somewhere as a feature of Spatials ACIS R19 (?).

Tim, any news on This?

Not in Shark FX V6. We did negotiate a new translator license from Spatial which includes CATIA V5 and Inventor which we have been testing in Shark FX V6.

However we have not licensed ParaSolids which is required for the SolidWorks translator.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
ttrw  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:06:59 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Who needs Solidworks anyway? I'm all for Autodesk these days- they now support Macintosh (and boot camp Macs too!) :cool:

http://usa.autodesk.com/products/mac-compatible-products
nabed  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:17:10 AM(UTC)
nabed

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
Who needs Solidworks anyway?

Youre joking, right?
ZeroLengthCurve  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2009 12:48:14 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Well, if we could get ViaCAD Pro and the Shark version decompiled and then recompiled for Linux (and, yessss CHARGE... not EVERYthing in Linux need be free... heck, if i can pay $250 for a solid program in windows, i'll pay for it in Linux if the product installs without dependency hell and has the same crisp, professional interface...), then Autodesk might have a run for its money. VariCAD and other German CAD makers support Linux without even blinking an eye -- they aren't beholden to or afraid of irking msoft. Unfortunately, in the US, Linux is only most popular in the Server/Cluster arena, and too many companies that COULD write professional-grade, cheap or for-pay apps for end users would probably see msoft choke off their air supply by jacking up licensing costs, logo/compliance costs, and get hit with all number of dubious/nebulous assertions of patent violations/infringements to dissuade them form straying off the pasture. (Tin foil hat being readjusted....popping Rytalin pill...)
ttrw  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2009 1:53:24 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nabed Go to Quoted Post
Youre joking, right?

No, not really.

I was offered a job recently with the Anglo-French Nuclear power industry (about the only industry left in the UK!), and the software of choice was Inventor. My old university design buddy, Rich, bemoaned when he was told that the university used Solidworks- as his company too, and everyone else who worked with anyone other, also used Inventor. Much of the dwindling British industry still use AutoCAD- as do the architectural community (although many use Archicad or Vectorworks these days too).

I fell for the Solidworks hype (they have a really on-the-ball marketing team you know ;) ) too you know. I'm really digging ViaCAD these days, after Steve.M gave me a few pointers (well, mainly the C key!!). Iron out the bugs, who needs Solidworks? :cool:

Tom