logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Birger  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2007 11:53:34 AM(UTC)
Birger

Man
Norway

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I did today do something I need to do quite often when step format does not fit the bill; Export some 3D surfaces to iges format in mm.
This time I imported into maxsurf (ship design) and could not figure out what was wrong as the size did not fit... The only way to get it in was to set import to inches in maxsurf.

Beeing a bit concerned (milling large parts is very expensive) I immediately tested CU by importing the same iges mm file originating from CU back into CU and it was still the same as original size in mm.

Does this mean CU exports mm as inches and converts back to mm on reimport or what?
I have posted a similar question to maxsurf support - formsys.com of course whether their import option is wrong (I know the export to iges from maxsurf is very good as we do that all the time),

but in the meantime;

Could anybody using CU in metric mm. please help check this out by doing an export and then import into another CAD system?

Thanks!

----------
CU4-build 660 v.3- OSX 10.4.9
nabed  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2007 12:11:12 PM(UTC)
nabed

Without testing I can tell You that the scale factor (metric vs. imperial) is one of the biggest issues in 3D file transfer in general and Iges export/import (due to its inumerous versions/dialects) in particular.
It is always a good idea to export the part in question within a "box" of known dimensions for reference or, if neccessary, to perform scaling after file transfer.

Don't forget to check Your surfaces, stitching, trimming etc. as these are other common issues.

If scale is the only issue ... regard yourself lucky!

Ciao, Norbert

P.S.: Have You tried to use the Step format?
I found it more reliable than Iges.
Could be a random observation though.
Birger  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2007 2:52:24 PM(UTC)
Birger

Man
Norway

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
thanks for the input Nabed;

i can inform you that I have been using the naval design NURBS modeller Maxsurf (formerly Macsurf) for about 20 years so I am quite familiar with its strengths and shortcomings.This was one of the first capable modelers made and in its field is still one of the best for creating presise quality freeform surfaces.

i can agree that the step format usually works well, but this is not supported by maxsurf. Iges is on the other hand, and although old and with many variants usually can get your stuff from one system to another.
You might have to retrim your surfaces with an iges import into a modern pro CAD package whereas step would save you that bit, but iges is still nice to have around.

So I am merely trying to ask for some help whether CU is the problem here or not. Believe me if the latest version of Maxsurf is the culprit Ill let you all know.

looking forward to hearing your results
nabed  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2007 6:46:33 PM(UTC)
nabed

I just did a quick test:

Exported metric iges file from CU

imported into formZ -> scale factor 1:1

imported into carrara Pro -> scale factor 1:2,54

imported into amapipro -> scale factor 1:10000 (checked "mm" in import dialogue)

I didn't have any professional Cad application to test though. Hope that helps.

Ciao, Norbert
jlm  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2007 7:41:37 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 94 post(s)
Hi Birger,

I recently sent IGS files to 2 tool makers.
- One working with Solid Works.
- One with TopSolid.

It was OK !

JL