logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
toddoky  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 7:24:59 PM(UTC)
toddoky

Greetings everyone. I'm working through the Shark FX learning curve and have stumbled accross a functionality issue that is not making sense to me from what I read in the manual so I'm hoping to get some clarification here so I can move on to other things. The issue I'm having is getting under/over and fully defined objects and their colors to function the way the manual says they will intuitively.

I cannot get a sketch fully defined enough for the object to appear in green as the manual says it should (either by manually dimesioning the object or using the auto constraint tool from the tool bar).

The manual also says the auto constraint tool will apply smart dimensions to an object automatically as well, which I also cannot seem get to function as described. I must be missing something.

Thanks in advance,

Todd
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 8:04:55 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 25 post(s)
What are you asking? Are you saying that you cannot colorize a specific face of a multi-faced (not a typo, not saying multi-faceted) object, such as a cube or other non spherical, non-subdivided spherical solid or surface?

If so, have you used the Deep Select tool?

If your question is other, please clarify so that others may be more tempted to jump in...

Cheers!

Originally Posted by: toddoky Go to Quoted Post
Greetings everyone. I'm working through the Shark FX learning curve and have stumbled accross a functionality issue that is not making sense to me from what I read in the manual so I'm hoping to get some clarification here so I can move on to other things. The issue I'm having is getting under/over and fully defined objects and their colors to function the way the manual says they will intuitively.

I cannot get a sketch fully defined enough for the object to appear in green as the manual says it should (either by manually dimesioning the object or using the auto constraint tool from the tool bar).

The manual also says the auto constraint tool will apply smart dimensions to an object automatically as well, which I also cannot seem get to function as described. I must be missing something.

Thanks in advance,

Todd
toddoky  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:19:11 PM(UTC)
toddoky

No, what I'm refering to is the color of 2D objects supposedly changing from blue (underdefined) to green (fully) to dark yellow (overdefined) by the system intuitively as you draw. I can draw a fully defined rectangle for instance and the object color will not change to green (the default color), but stay the standard punch blue color. If I purposely overdefine any object with redundant dimensions, then the dimension itself is displayed in the dark yellow color, but not the object itself as the manual explains. I hope this explanation makes more sense.

Thanks,

Todd
memphisjed  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:30:47 PM(UTC)
memphisjed

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I am a little confused on your question too. Dimensions are a separate layer and have colored tied to a preference on layer. Or undefined being working object (selected item)?
toddoky  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 6:25:50 PM(UTC)
toddoky

I guess I'm not doing a good job of describing the conflict...the following description of part of the functionality of the constraint manager feature was copied and pasted directly from page 191 of the user guide:

"Under and Over Constrained Geometry-A major feature of the constraint management system is that it is designed to handle under and over constrained data in such a way that the user is helped to build a properly defined object interactively.
Under-constrained data is defined as data having insufficient dimensions and logical constraints to define the geometry uniquely. The default under-constrained object color is blue.
Over-constrained data is defined as data having too many or conflicting dimensions and legal constraints. The default over-constrained object color is dark yellow.
The fully constrained object color is green.
Under, over, and fully-defined object default colors can be changed in the File:Preferences:DCM category"

There are three pictoral examples just below the above paragraph in the user guide that depict these object color changes as they should appear as you draw/constrain objects. In use, my copy of Shark FX has not functioned as described, especially the part about fully constrained objects automatically changing to green (the factory default color) as they become fully defined/constrained.

Thanks,

Todd
zumer  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:17:07 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I tend to try to use things as I need them, so I'd never gone trying to achieve this deliberately. I was only able to get this happening by scattergun-constraining a rectangle; applying constraints until it cried 'enough!'. Doesn't strike me that it's a practical benefit.
zumer attached the following image(s):
constraint complaint.PNG (20kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
zumer  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:06:58 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm dubious about how functional this 'feature' is. I use constraints occasionally, but I've probably never needed to 'fully' constrain anything, as I've never had to pay attention to the colour alerts. I went about trying to 'fully constrain' a sketch as the manual describes, and found that it's such a sweet spot that I wasn't able to find it.....autoconstraint gives me underconstrained, so I throw as many more constraints as I think might be applicable, and it eventually reaches a 'can't do this one', without ever passing through a 'Goldilocks' point. Not a useful answer, I know, just my anecdotal experience. The interaction seems limited to a 'No more!' notification, which is as self-evident as the colour change....
toddoky  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2013 11:14:21 AM(UTC)
toddoky

I appreciate you taking the time to go through the exercise to validate what I'm experiencing. As you stated, I can purposely under or over constrain an object without the program ever reconizing an object as being fully constrained in between and turning the object color to green as described in the manual. I'm going to move on at this point and assume the functional description in the user guide is bunk as written, until proven otherwise.

Thanks again,

Todd