logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ianjkirby  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2009 8:10:38 AM(UTC)
ianjkirby

Hi,
In playing recently with splines, in order to learn about them, I came across the following which I think merits a query.
I drew a random spline using the Interpolate Spline tool. I then drew a straight line intersecting this spline in several places. Using the select tool, I can select the line, or the spline, or any of the points in the spline which are not close to the straight line. Where the point is in proximity to the straight line, I am presented with the (expected) box asking me which entity I wish to select. So far, so good. The problem I see is that the entities offered are "Line nnn" and "B-Spline xxx". When I drew a Control Point Spline and a Bezier Spline, and passed line through each of them, they were correctly identified as CP Spline and Bezier respectively. Should the Interpolate Spline label be altered to read "Interpolate Spline"? I find the "B-Spline" label confusing. I know its only a small thing, but hey, I don't find many bugs!!:D
Regards, Ian.
ianjkirby attached the following image(s):
Picture 8.png (12kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Ian Kirby
Wollongong Australia
unique  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2009 1:42:51 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: ianjkirby Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
In playing recently with splines, in order to learn about them, I came across the following which I think merits a query.
I drew a random spline using the Interpolate Spline tool. I then drew a straight line intersecting this spline in several places. Using the select tool, I can select the line, or the spline, or any of the points in the spline which are not close to the straight line. Where the point is in proximity to the straight line, I am presented with the (expected) box asking me which entity I wish to select. So far, so good. The problem I see is that the entities offered are "Line nnn" and "B-Spline xxx". When I drew a Control Point Spline and a Bezier Spline, and passed line through each of them, they were correctly identified as CP Spline and Bezier respectively. Should the Interpolate Spline label be altered to read "Interpolate Spline"? I find the "B-Spline" label confusing. I know its only a small thing, but hey, I don't find many bugs!!:D
Regards, Ian.

Hi Ian,

Great point. The problem is there are too many types in fact it's way too complicated a deal just to make a "nurbs curve", Rhino is a proven method as far as I am concerned the devlopment team should take a look.

Im not saying there shouldn't be an INT spline or CP spline because there must but why all the other types and why have them with different indentities....it's bizarre!!
zumer  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2009 9:57:14 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
There's a pretty good page about curve fitting on Wikipedia, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curve_fitting . Gives you the beginnings of an understanding about some of the criteria governing them. CAD programs limit curve definitions as an aid to speed of computation and interchange consistency, whereas Rhino specifically sets out to overcome some of those limitations. Where a degree 8 surface intersects with a degree 4 surface, for example, Rhino could define the intersecting curve exactly, whereas ACIS would fudge the curve within limits. If the limits are below the resolution of your CAM system, for example, there isn't a problem, but if you scaled the curve above it, it would be better to redo the intersection (kind've like picture-scaling interpolation in high- and reduced-definition), whereas it would still be accurate in Rhino. There's an argument for both approaches, but I think they're sort of mutually exclusive.
unique  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2009 1:19:15 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: zumer Go to Quoted Post
There's a pretty good page about curve fitting on Wikipedia, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curve_fitting . Gives you the beginnings of an understanding about some of the criteria governing them. CAD programs limit curve definitions as an aid to speed of computation and interchange consistency, whereas Rhino specifically sets out to overcome some of those limitations. Where a degree 8 surface intersects with a degree 4 surface, for example, Rhino could define the intersecting curve exactly, whereas ACIS would fudge the curve within limits. If the limits are below the resolution of your CAM system, for example, there isn't a problem, but if you scaled the curve above it, it would be better to redo the intersection (kind've like picture-scaling interpolation in high- and reduced-definition), whereas it would still be accurate in Rhino. There's an argument for both approaches, but I think they're sort of mutually exclusive.

Hi Murray,

For anyone that has used Rhino you must agree VC/Shark goes way over the top when it comes to building splines/curves. IMO it is over engineered in VC & needs to be simplified somewhat, this will also help a lot of the issues people are experiencing with surface&solid tools with choosing a particular type of spline to get the desired effect - CRAZY!!!

Dear developers...please run a trial of Rhino and see for yourself how simple and yet powerful these tools are then do something very similar:);)
ZeroLengthCurve  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2009 12:54:46 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Speaking of engineering/overengineering, it might be nice to have some Rhino-like action preview to enhance learning from "trial and error" before actually finishing a step.
Tim Olson  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2009 11:25:24 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Ian,

>>Should the Interpolate Spline label be altered to read "Interpolate Spline"? >>I find the "B-Spline" label confusing.

Good idea, changed in 838.

Thanks

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore