logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Brian Crowe  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:03:37 PM(UTC)
Brian Crowe

Hi folks,

I am trying to export pipe-constructed parts from ViaCAD Pro v6 to a wire former for fabrication on a 3-axis CNC bender. We are having some problems that the wire former insists is for me to resolve - dagnabit - where are their geeks...

Specifically, has anyone had especially good luck or bad luck with any particular file format for export to AutoCAD platforms?

To this point, the wire form companies I am trying to deal with have been unsuccessful opening any DWG or DXF file I send. Maybe I need to do something differently, elect a particular option or select a different file format. I elect R2000 format in inches) for DWG and DXF formats. I have even tried IGES (for AutoCAD) with the "Write MSBO #186" option (whatever that is), 3D Model Space option, and "End of Line" for PC option elected. All to no avail.

Anyone want to tell me of your successes and failures? Anyone here working successfully with a wire form company in the US that you can recommend (by a private message if you rather)?

Thanks very much in advance for advice and pointers!

Brian
blowlamp  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2009 2:25:38 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

If all they need is the centre line of the pipe - and you happen to be using splines for the construction, then try converting them to Polylines before export to .DXF or .DWG. My CAM program accepts 3D DXF's, but only displays them in 3D if made up of Polylines and other regular curves.

Martin.
ttrw  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2009 10:05:48 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Brian, you may be interested to know that I've had so much bad luck trying to get AutoCAD to see any dxf/dwg made in anything else other than ACAD, that I now go to great lengths to get people to consider alternatives to LT, if they have the opportunity to do so.

Whereas I found that software claiming to read dxf/dwg files had no problem with exchanging data, ACAD, just wimped out, which has now lead me to believe that ACAD just breaks its own rules, constantly changing the goal-posts.

Have you tried DoubleCAD XT by IMSI? It's another LT clone (PC only mind), that appears to work well. It talks to QCad (which I use mainly- another cheapo LT 'copy', but works great on all platforms. I have my Mac here, and my HP PC at my office, and I can just move files back and forth- like VC/ Shark too). DoubleCAD is also free for the basic version.
jdi000  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:13:46 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hi Brian

I can export pipes as dxf and dwg and open in Autocad? Sounds as if they are using some other software? If you are on a pc try using autodesk's trueview program to review dxf and dwg ouput you create before you send files.

For 3d parts maybe you could try step files to send instead of dwg/dxf

Regards

Jason
jdi000 attached the following image(s):
exportedpipes.PNG (36kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Windows 11, 10
Brian Crowe  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2009 10:01:40 PM(UTC)
Brian Crowe

Hi Folks -

Thanks so much for taking time to join in this thread and add your expertise. It is late here in Texas and creeping ever close to bed time - I'll look polysplines and step format tomorrow... These sound like meaningful steps that might bring me to a solution with the wire formers.

I am obviously working with technical novices at these wire formers. These folk all swear that they are using AutoCAD LT in the office to quote from and the full app in the shop. They are clueless when there is any kind of problem.

I tried to install Autodesk DWG TrueView 2010 today - ran into the infamous internal error 163. Darn it! I am Mac bound, and use the ancient Virtual PC emulator application - maybe the problem is the compatibility of Virtual PC with the .NET framework. I like the idea of test driving the files before I send them, though. I actually did that with SolidWorks eDrawings on my Mac successfully, and I was surprised when there were problems on the AutoCAD side.

So, I'll peel the onion here tomorrow and incorporate some of your thoughtful ideas and let you all know what works when I get feedback from a few wire formers. I wanted to respond back before the end of the day to say that I appreciate your input!

Brian
posh.de  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2009 3:35:36 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
am not sure how even recent versions of AC can deal with solids/faces embedded as Acis entities, therefore do mesh all solids and NURBS based surfaces inside VC before exporting. Will also give you the full control of mesh resolution/quality: "Edit > Change Object Type..."

AC is DXF/DWG, therefore export as DXF/DWG v2000/2002 (= AC1015) preferred. DXF/DWG is unit less, tell them the unit you have used during export. For simplifying them to evaluate the dimensions of your model, you might include a 1"x1"x1" big cube in the origin of the model as well as some text declaring this.

you may also want try [URL="http://www.virtualbox.org/"]VirtualBox[/URL] OS edition (IntelMac only) of Sun for running Windoze/DWG TrueView.

hth,
Norbert
ttrw  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2009 9:14:56 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Brian Crowe Go to Quoted Post
These folk all swear that they are using AutoCAD LT in the office to quote from and the full app in the shop. They are clueless when there is any kind of problem.

They probably are (all using LT). It's pretty much the same here in the UK. LT cost most small companies 50 to start with, and as far as they are concerned, there is no need to use anything else, because LT 'works'.

eDrawings by Solidworks is a good tool to have, is free, and of course runs on both platforms.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2009 9:30:08 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Brian, if it helps you check out VirtualBox, you should know that in my case, I am using a Gateway P-6031 laptop (2GB max system RAM) with an integrated (cheap) shared-memory graphics chips (256 MB max) and around 1.44 GHz CPU).

I run Mandriva Linux as my main OS (surfing/e-mailing/images viewing, etc.), but i run VirtualBox (Sun XVm?) to "containerize/quarrantine" Vista. I have in VirtualBox some drawings (full of solids, surfaces, curves (lines), and hundreds and hundreds of layers) that consume 894MB on occasion, yet more often than not, VC Pro 6 hums right along.

I have exported and imported .dwg/.dxf files, but prefer .dxf. I've personally enjoyed VC's general graphics settings for their relative simplicity/nbr of options and ease on my eyes. While i deeply wish there were multi-keystroke shortcuts and a more PC-like floating/distribution/anchoring of tool palettes, overall, i enjoy VC/VCP. It turns heads in Borders and on the train, and sometimes at work (an AutoCAD-intensive company - when it comes to sharing with or delivering drawings to other companies), and I make sure to tell them what I can about VC/VCP (features/cost/) and whirl around some of my drawings.

It might be interesting if you can put on DVD or send a URL to that shop and give them some of your sharable real-world files and ask them to play with VCP. Nothing like hands on experience corrupting stalwarts or clueless people that vanilla ACAD is NOT the way in ALL cases. But, the unfortunate side is that autodesk likes scaring people with that flag on file opening that goes something like: "This file was last saved with at trusted autocad product..." or the negative/reverse when the file was not saved with ACAD. It's irritating because it can scare people into thinking they have no decent or responsible choice and it creates stigma and some inertia against having a mixed set of tools. Sure, their app can open and import many products' formats, but the export side can be difficult depending on what's being exported.

Anyway, VirtualPC is kinda long in the tooth, isn't it? Sun XVm (VirtualBox) is free, stable (maybe 98% of the time for me), and fairly easy to set up (there might be the add-ons thing to deal with to get graphics past native, but then i haven't updated my VBox since maybe March, and at least two versions came out since then....), and supports xp, w2k, Vista, and i even got w7 running in it, too.