logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
2ft builders  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:24:39 PM(UTC)
2ft builders

Again, a rookie, learning 3D cad, and VC. Working with VC 2D/3D V8, in Mac OS 10.

The situation I™m encountering is that I seem unable to do something in VC that should be simple But the approaches I take don™t work™. In the project I™m working on, I™m drawing up basically a long (~ 50 ft) solid rod, 2 in diameter. The is a slight bend in the center of the rod (..downwards toward either end), then about halfway between the center and each of the 2 ends, another bend (downwards). There is a short arc at each of the 3 bends. All this is in one flat plane (Z™).

The problem I have is that I™ve taken 2 approaches, and neither works:
1.) I tried to use the Extend / Bend™ tool, with a short (say, 4™) rod as a test, using (say) a 1 ft radius, and 2 ft extension. But when I click on the face to extend, then click on the edge for direction, one of three things happens: a.) Nothing; b.) I get an error message saying that it cannot do a 'zero length' extension, or; c.) the rod flips™ (inverts) to the opposite side of the face selected, and only leaves the extension™ amount, and there is no bend. The original rod has also disappeared. I experimented innumerable ways / times to try other selection options to get this to work, but to no avail
2.) I then constructed the centerline for the rod out of separate segments, -- straight lines, and arcs. I then grouped™ these together into one object. Then, with a 2 dia. circular profile on one end, I tried to use the One Rail Sweep Solid™ tool, thinking that this would sweep a continuous rod from one end to the other. Again, no luck. VC just immediately, and totally, shuts down after I select the centerline for the sweep. This happens repeatedly.

So, having failed twice with the two above approaches, I then constructed the rod from separate line and / or arc segments, and used the One Rail Sweep Solid™ tool separately on each of these. Then, I moved each into place, and grouped™ them together into one object. This worked (sort of), but I don™t think that the interfaces where each segment joins™ the next is exactly right, so I™m not sure this is the best solution.

My question is, why do neither of the above two approaches work.? I™ve spent hours futilely trying to construct an object that I think should take only minutes

Jim
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:07:04 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>VC just immediately, and totally, shuts down after I select the centerline for >>the sweep. This happens repeatedly.

Would it be possible for you to send me this file? Or attached to your post?

Regards

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
2ft builders  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:54:20 PM(UTC)
2ft builders

Will e-mail the file. In this, note that the (blue) centerline 'template' I developed to try this approach is at the far right, just off the grid. I think I deleted the 2" 'circle' that was joined at the near end, but that's all. You can see in the model I'm working on that my current approach is to 'project' the layout lines onto a skin in the center of the model, then try to extend a solid along this.... Seems like a hard way to do something...
la mouche  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:29:36 AM(UTC)
la mouche

hello Jim,

Can you draw me a picture of your project, I can perhaps help you.

I understand the drawings better than English ...

:eek::o

Antoine
jdi000  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:57:12 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hi Jim

Maybe you could try using the pipe tool with an inside diameter of 0 to give you a solid tube?

If your radius in the bends is smaller than tube diameter check the allow self intersections. Not sure what the radius is in your bend/arcs.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
Tim Olson  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:02:27 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Hi Jim
Thanks for the sample file. A couple of things I found (and fixed).

The sweep tool did not like the nested groups. That is what was causing the crash. If you ungroup the path, that will fix the crash. I've also fixed this issue in build 999 so that you can use nested groups.

After I ungrouped the path, I noticed that one of the arcs was not connected tightly enough. When I see a gap I use the Connect tool to close gaps. But the connect tool did not work in this case as the gap was so small. This is fixed in 999 as well.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
2ft builders  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:11:57 PM(UTC)
2ft builders

Originally Posted by: la mouche Go to Quoted Post
hello Jim,

Can you draw me a picture of your project, I can perhaps help you.

I understand the drawings better than English ...

:eek::o

Antoine

Antoine - Thanks for the offer to assist. I've attached a condensed file for your review. Note that in this, the circle profile is on one end of the truss centerline object. The other object is the one I built showing the completed rod, but this approach doesn't seem to make the connections right....

- Jim
(... your English seems excellent to me...!)
File Attachment(s):
Truss Rod Layout.vc3 (92kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
2ft builders  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:18:13 PM(UTC)
2ft builders

Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Jim

Maybe you could try using the pipe tool with an inside diameter of 0 to give you a solid tube?

If your radius in the bends is smaller than tube diameter check the allow self intersections. Not sure what the radius is in your bend/arcs.

Regards

Jason

Jason -

Thanks.... I tried this, and it actually does work. The only issue, however, is that I have to 'un-group' all of the line segments, then do the pipe command on each segment individually. At the end of the day, this approach does make the 'joins' at each connection point better, though. After doing the 'pipe' on all of the segments, re-grouping them is then required, so that it can be moved / positioned as a single object.

By the way, I just uploaded a file of the truss rod drawing, for Antoine's review.. You can take a look, for interest....

I still don't understand why the 'Extend / Bend' tool doesn't work on my machine.... Perhaps Tim can sort this out...

- Jim
2ft builders  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:47:19 PM(UTC)
2ft builders

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
Hi Jim
Thanks for the sample file. A couple of things I found (and fixed).

The sweep tool did not like the nested groups. That is what was causing the crash. If you ungroup the path, that will fix the crash. I've also fixed this issue in build 999 so that you can use nested groups.

After I ungrouped the path, I noticed that one of the arcs was not connected tightly enough. When I see a gap I use the Connect tool to close gaps. But the connect tool did not work in this case as the gap was so small. This is fixed in 999 as well.

Tim

Tim -

Thanks.... I suspected that the sweep tool didn't like the 'grouping'.... I also wondered as to whether some of the points were actually 'connected', - although they (outwardly) appeared to be. I'll put the 'Connect' tool to use going forward, to ensure such ...

I still wonder why the 'Extend / Bend' tool doesn't work on my machine.... Any ideas...??

Along same lines, perhaps my version of VC is 'behind' relative to any fixes / updates that have been made.... Which brings up my next question: Where do I go to upload the latest 'Build' #....?? Or, perhaps, to what extent are these 'available' ....?? It seems that the version I have is 'Build 986' ....

- Jim
Tim Olson  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:05:24 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>Which brings up my next question: Where do I go to upload the latest 'Build' >>#....?? Or, perhaps, to what extent are these 'available' ....?? It seems that >>the version I have is 'Build 986' ....

The Update from menu is not working. I've repeatedly reported to Encore and still waiting for them to fix. In the meantime, as I make builds I will give everyone a heads up through this forum and private email updated links. Plus I give the builds to tech support.

I'm within two weeks to sending out a SP1 for all v8 products.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Tim Olson  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:41:09 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Here is your sweep in build 999. No prior prep to the model other then reading it into the app.

http://www.csi-concepts.com/Demo/videos/sweepGroup.mov

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Tim Olson  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:48:13 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>I still wonder why the 'Extend / Bend' tool doesn't work on my machine....

If you have the path, I would use the one rail sweep. Below is a video of the extend bend. Note that the direction of the bend is based on which edge of the rectangle you pick as the bend axis.

http://www.csi-concepts.com/Demo/videos/extendBend.mov

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
2ft builders  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:48:38 PM(UTC)
2ft builders

>>I still wonder why the 'Extend / Bend' tool doesn't work on my machine....

If you have the path, I would use the one rail sweep. Below is a video of the extend bend. Note that the direction of the bend is based on which edge of the rectangle you pick as the bend axis.

http://www.csi-concepts.com/Demo/videos/extendBend.mov

Tim

Tim -

Thanks.... This is how I envisioned it should work, but it just doesn't perform like this for me.... On a circular 'rod', when I select the object with the Extend / Bend tool, it really only lets me select one end with the red four-sided 'box'. If I choose the other end, it only puts a red line horizontally across the bottom edge of the rod face, -- but that's it. I don't seem to be able to use 'option', or 'shift' or anything to enable the tool to select on which end to put the red four-sided box.

Then, when I move to the end with the red four-sided box, if I enlarge and select any of the four sides, I get the error message that I cannot select a 'zero length option'. In the input dialogue box, I have entered parameters that do indicate both length and radius, but these seem to be ignored...

So, it seems that something has gone awry here....

Perhaps when you release the SP1, this will effect a 'fix'... In the meantime, I can use the One Rail Sweep to enable me to continue...

Thanks a bunch....

Jim
2ft builders  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:50:12 PM(UTC)
2ft builders

Here is your sweep in build 999. No prior prep to the model other then reading it into the app.

http://www.csi-concepts.com/Demo/videos/sweepGroup.mov

Tim

Tim -

This is cool....! Just how I thought it should work. Will look forward to it...

Thanks
Jim
billbedford  
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:29:39 AM(UTC)
billbedford

This happens when the points of each element are not exactly aligned.
Tim Olson  
#16 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2011 2:47:15 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

I beefed up the pipe tool today in build 999 so that it works better with groups and collections of curves as the path.

http://www.csi-concepts.com/Demo/videos/pipeGroup.mov

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
2ft builders  
#17 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:44:00 PM(UTC)
2ft builders

Originally Posted by: billbedford Go to Quoted Post
This happens when the points of each element are not exactly aligned.

Which was the problem with that approach, i.e.: Because the One-Rail Sweep Solid didn't work for 'grouped' line segments, I then 'built' each solid segment separately, using a centerline and profile on one end of each. Then, I 'moved' them into what I thought (...at least visually) was the correct position. A few were, but a couple of others 'snapped' into the wrong place, -- but hard to see.

Tim's re-work of the tool now solves this issue......

Moral of the story: What you 'see' may not exactly be what you 'get'...

Jim
2ft builders  
#18 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:48:21 PM(UTC)
2ft builders

I beefed up the pipe tool today in build 999 so that it works better with groups and collections of curves as the path.

http://www.csi-concepts.com/Demo/videos/pipeGroup.mov

Tim

Thanks, Tim. I actually had the 'thought' about suggesting this to you earlier today, -- since you did this for the One Rail Solid Sweep tool, but held off, figuring you have many more, & bigger dragons to slay...

Jim