logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perry  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2020 1:10:22 PM(UTC)
perry

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I'm currently using ViaCAD Pro v11 build 1441. There are days when everything is perfectly smooth. Then suddenly kablooey. Today is one of those days.

I've been working on a model, decided to delete some holes and re-place them elsewhere, and realized I deleted the wrong thing. hit undo, the item came back but suddenly all my entities were gone in the Concept Explorer, and everything was in the hole. That is, all the objects in the object were suddenly all flattened into the hole I had deleted (then undid that delete), and that was the only entity listed. I was able to load up from a backup, but I lost a fair bit of work in the process.

The thing is, it seems like Undo is totally unreliable, and there are times when the file will suddenly be corrupted and there's nothing I or support can do to fix it. That's happened twice, on relatively complete models (which is pretty annoying). I chose this application because I was sick of Fusion360 crashing on me (and constantly changing around the user interface just when I get used to it), but this is almost as bad.

I really want to like this software. It's so much better than Fusion in a lot of ways, and it works the way I think about 3D modeling, so I'd prefer to use it. but man, this is just a mess.

So I haven't beta tested v12 yet, and I really don't have time to get into it right now, but I'd love to know if it's primarily about bug fixes, or if stability/reliability are the focus. That may make the decision for me as to whether or not I stick with ViaCAD going forward.

Thanks!

Edited by user Wednesday, April 15, 2020 1:11:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mitchb  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2020 4:56:05 PM(UTC)
mitchb

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Checkout ViaCAD V12. There is an overview of the new features and says 100+ bug fixes from V11.
perry  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2020 6:48:00 AM(UTC)
perry

Thanks - none of the new features are applicable to me, I'm mostly interested in bug fixes, which aren't enumerated. I'm on the beta forum for v12, but I can't find anything there either that has a specific bug fix list. There are a lot of complaints that longstanding bugs haven't been addressed though...

I'd love to see a comprehensive bug fix list before spending more money on an upgrade.
DJ-Bino  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2020 2:44:33 PM(UTC)
DJ-Bino

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Quote:
I'd love to see a comprehensive bug fix list before spending more money on an upgrade.

Hello Perry,

I've been there since version 6
and I went through all the updates up to version 11.
today i am using version 9 again
And I will not buy a new version anymore
I think I've been riding this dead horse long enough
The software is basically very good. From version 10
it only got worse instead of better

Regards Dieter
thanks 2 users thanked DJ-Bino for this useful post.
perry on 4/17/2020(UTC), MPSchmied on 5/19/2021(UTC)
perry  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2020 3:26:58 PM(UTC)
perry

Thanks - I mean, I really do like it when it's not freaking out on me. I'm able to get a lot more work done than I am in Fusion360, and I prefer perpetual licenses to cloud-based subscriptions. I mean, if 12 is more stable than 11, I'd be willing to fork over the $140 upgrade fee. But if it's not, I'm not sure it's worth it.
ctkjose  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2020 9:02:53 PM(UTC)
ctkjose

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
As soon as I see subscription I walk away from it. I hope they see the valuable niche they have in this product, the price is affordable and is easy to learn. The product just need enough love!

I had 9 then I went to 10 because I wanted to update my Mac, today I got V12 just because I wanted some of those features from the powerpack and a few I missed from 11. Opening the app from the first install and snaps, logical cursors and other display things where not working. I kept playing until decided to delete the preferences from the hard disk and finally it worked. Seems that that first run was a bust.

Im playing with some models and there are quirks. I get annoyed when the concept explorer an inspector is not refreshed when an item is selected on the drawing, but I still find my self more productive in ViaCad than in Fusion (I have given fusion some decent hours).
CADCAM  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2020 5:37:02 AM(UTC)
CADCAM

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
"I really want to like this software. It's so much better than Fusion in a lot of ways, and it works the way I think about 3D modeling, so I'd prefer to use it. but man, this is just a mess."

I totally agree with your comment... my brain just seems to flow better with Shark, and it feels like a more creative environment than Fusion. It's hard to explain...

I stayed on V10 pro, and desperately wanted constraints so I'v been hanging for V12. But now it's here I'm not sure, and I'm starting to think I should just switch full time to Fusion.

Autodesk is just taking over everything and it's hard to avoid it. Lots of business are now demanding you use it if you want their work.

In relation to bugs, it shouldn't be forgotten Fusion is always being updated... but I've never hit a bug. However, I cant say the same with Shark which has hung several times. I feel for Tim, he has great software but I'm not sure there is much of a market anymore.
thanks 1 user thanked CADCAM for this useful post.
jlm on 4/24/2020(UTC)
L. Banasky  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2020 7:26:08 AM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 99 post(s)
What is the build number of SharkCAD Pro Version 12?
The build that is for sale.
I'm still waiting for my Trial Version.
Larry

Edited by user Sunday, April 19, 2020 7:27:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GARLIC  
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2020 7:39:43 AM(UTC)
GARLIC

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Did you request your Shark trial from this site: https://www.punchcad.com/free-trials
thanks + best wishes
G.
L. Banasky  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2020 8:21:06 AM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Yes, that's the site. You have to fill out information, as if you
are purchasing.
No response yet, might be closed for the weekend.
thanks 1 user thanked L. Banasky for this useful post.
GARLIC on 4/19/2020(UTC)
djw  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2020 3:02:48 PM(UTC)
djw

Not that I can see. Have been running V10 and tried v12 trial to see if there were fixes. Running into most of the same problems.
rjs  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2020 11:08:46 AM(UTC)
rjs

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I just purchased V12 and so far I am still seeing at least some of the bugs I have run in to and have reported over the years such as:

A subtracted object remains after subtracting after multiple undo's even though you do not hold down control - pressing (not holding) control multiple time seems to fix this.

After moving an object the alignment tool does not work

keyboard commands randomly stop working - the cap lock is not light but pressing caps lock on and off restore the keys to working again.

and I am already finding some new ones:

very slow saves > 30 seconds for some simple objects

ViaCAD Pro crashes when pulling a face

I can reproduce these at will with V12 but I cannot reproduce these new ones on V11. I have reported both.
thanks 1 user thanked rjs for this useful post.
GARLIC on 4/22/2020(UTC)
perry  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2020 12:53:10 PM(UTC)
perry

Originally Posted by: rjs Go to Quoted Post

I can reproduce these at will with V12 but I cannot reproduce these new ones on V11. I have reported both.

Thanks. I guess I'll hold off for now. hopefully they're going to focus on bug fixes soon.
UGMENTALCASE  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2020 3:18:33 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
I found today in v11 viacad pro that after using pull face it won't render raytrace without crashing. Remove the pull face or remove links and its fine. It's so sad, I was looking at the upgrade prices earlier. Tempted but if its still buggy I may as well go back to using version 10. I've used version 10 more since I bought V11.

Don't fancy wasting more money on something they probably won't update. No updates for V11 in over 12 months.
Claus  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2020 4:13:09 AM(UTC)
Claus

Denmark

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Sorry to destroy the bad mood but I just ordered the upgrade after testing the trial - compared to v10 the autosave happens completely in the background. The disruptive autosave was my biggest problem with that version and the improvement enough to justify the upgrade price. Now I’m praying they will fix those bugs that come with the improvements.
L. Banasky  
#16 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2020 6:04:06 AM(UTC)
L. Banasky

<<<<Sorry to destroy the bad mood but I just ordered the upgrade after testing the trial>>>>
Glad to hear you tested the Trial, I think most of the
bad mood, was not being able to obtain a Trial.
I received my Trial the day before the VIP discount ended.
Larry
* In case you missed the "Limited Time VIP offer for loyal customers"
PunchCAD was offering a very generous, 10% discount on upgrades.

Edited by user Thursday, April 23, 2020 8:00:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UGMENTALCASE  
#17 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2020 6:26:04 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Claus Go to Quoted Post
Sorry to destroy the bad mood but I just ordered the upgrade after testing the trial - compared to v10 the autosave happens completely in the background. The disruptive autosave was my biggest problem with that version and the improvement enough to justify the upgrade price. Now I’m praying they will fix those bugs that come with the improvements.

The question is was this supposed to happen? Who knows, we haven't been told....
Claus  
#18 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2020 8:15:10 AM(UTC)
Claus

Denmark

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Originally Posted by: L. Banasky Go to Quoted Post

* In case you missed the "Limited Time VIP offer for loyal customers"
PunchCAD was offering a very generous, 10% discount on upgrades.

I suggest reaching out to PunchCad about the missed discount.
curtk  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2020 10:44:33 AM(UTC)
curtk

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I upgraded to 12 after trying the demo due to improvements that I was hoping to see .

Todd seems to be the right support guy to talk to . A while back we discussed an issue that I've been having over the past few versions and it has been resolved for the most part , though some improvements are being looked into .

I haven't played with it enough to come across many bugs , but one bug that came up was having an error message and my solid model shredded into a screwy wire frame after doing a couple undo's .
posh.de  
#20 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2020 6:54:22 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: curtk Go to Quoted Post
...having an error message and my solid model shredded into a screwy wire frame after doing a couple undo's .

still the dreaded model corruption by undos... don't try this at home ;-) at least before having several incrementing file revisions by "File > Save as...".
POSH GmbH
www.posh.de