logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
specktech  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2022 9:09:05 AM(UTC)
specktech

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I'am so curious about the history of this program. I have read as much as I can find, But I want to know the complete history of this software. Everyday I use ViaCad it just amazes me what it can do. Many times I can't quite figure out something. With a little searching and reading I find the answer quite quickly. I am just in awe of the accuracy I see in ViaCAD. I'am really curious about when it was Ashlar Vellum. I have found some amazing step by step picture tutorial's on their old webpages. How long was it Ashlar Vellum? Do any large company's use this software? Wonder how many users worldwide? Super curious about that Darcorp aeropack add on for Shark. I read Bill Rutan used it to make some of his planes. I can't tell you how many times I model something in ViaCad and just sit there saying Wow! I also wish ViaCAD had the enthusiasm and interest that Moi3D and Blender does.
posh.de  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2022 12:34:35 PM(UTC)
posh.de

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
POSH GmbH
www.posh.de
thanks 4 users thanked posh.de for this useful post.
MPSchmied on 12/6/2022(UTC), GARLIC on 12/6/2022(UTC), jlm on 12/7/2022(UTC), specktech on 12/15/2022(UTC)
Tim Olson  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2022 11:36:54 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
The first commercial release was as CADD Pro (build 100) by CADSoft Solutions in 1994. This was heavily influenced by some work we did in the 80’s at Lockheed creating an integrated CAD/CAE system used for conceptual design of F16 advanced derivatives, F22, F35, NASP, A-12/etc called ACAD.

I really liked the Drafting Assistant by Dr Martin Newell, licensed the patent (patent was later declared invalid), and integrated it into CADD Pro. I extended the implementation to work with 3D curves, surfaces, and solids which attracted the attention of Ashlar. I created a rebrand of CADD Pro which Ashlar then sold as Vellum Solids. I terminated the contract after the second term but still retained the original rights to create the Concepts Unlimited brand of products.

Shortly after we released Concepts Unlimited, I did another rebrand of that product for Bob Mayer and IMSI as TurboCAD Mac. We also did rebrands for AeroCADD, Aeropack, and the PinDot Design system.

>> Rutan used it to make some of his plane

Burt was familiar with my work at Lockheed through some his classified work for Scaled Composites. I spent some time with his team training them how to use AeroPack which they used for preliminary design. They used CATIA for production work. Burt did all the concept work using Shark, you can see used in the Discovery documentary showing his initial designs for SpaceShip One.

>> that Darcorp aeropack add on for Shark.
Lockheed was a big sponsor of AIAA student design competitions. Dr Jan Roskum (founder of DARCorp) student teams from the University Kansas always did well. One year they won and instead of prize money elected to create a student CAD/CAE lab with 10 seats of ACAD. They used ACAD and AAA in their lab to teach aerospace engineering students how to design and analyze aircraft. When I left Lockheed, Darcorp gave us a contract to create AeroPack which has some tools specific for aircraft design and better integrated with AAA.

Later, I sold the company to Punch Software, who was then acquired by Encore Software. Encore Software was a division of Navarre, who made a really bad inventory buy of fit bit watches. It was a huge inventory that did not sell and ultimately lead to them to filing bankruptcy and selling of the assets. IMSI then bought the Encore asset in bankruptcy proceedings which is where the products now stand at build 1610:)

Edited by user Tuesday, December 6, 2022 11:38:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
thanks 6 users thanked Tim Olson for this useful post.
jlm on 12/7/2022(UTC), GARLIC on 12/7/2022(UTC), MPSchmied on 12/7/2022(UTC), MaiFy on 12/7/2022(UTC), creativecad on 12/7/2022(UTC), specktech on 12/15/2022(UTC)
jlm  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2022 5:07:29 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 94 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
The first commercial release was as CADD Pro (build 100) by CADSoft Solutions in 1994. ..... build 1610:)

All the Caddinosaurs on Mac disappeared : ClarisCad, CadKey, MacBravo (at least the ones that I used).

Only the Shark survived, with sharp teeth.

Thanks to Tim !
thanks 2 users thanked jlm for this useful post.
GARLIC on 12/7/2022(UTC), specktech on 12/15/2022(UTC)
GARLIC  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2022 5:30:42 AM(UTC)
GARLIC

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Thanks jlm, but: "Only the Shark survived, with sharp teeth"....do you mean the "old beast" or completely rejuvenated and being fit for the next and splendid decade to come...?
best regards
G.

Edited by user Wednesday, December 7, 2022 6:49:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: typo

thanks 1 user thanked GARLIC for this useful post.
specktech on 12/15/2022(UTC)
posh.de  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 8, 2022 1:10:10 PM(UTC)
posh.de

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jlm Go to Quoted Post
All the Caddinosaurs on Mac disappeared : ClarisCad, CadKey, MacBravo ...

*shl*rs Graphite (former Vellum) is still avail.
POSH GmbH
www.posh.de
thanks 1 user thanked posh.de for this useful post.
Jean-Francois Jacques  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2022 8:59:54 AM(UTC)
Jean-Francois Jacques

Canada

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Tim ...good memories!!
File Attachment(s):
IMG_6777.png (686kb) downloaded 26 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
METEORE DESIGN / KEKO Stand
Jean-Francois Jacques, Industrial Designer
SharkCad Pro V14 B1653
Platform macOS 14 Sonoma
thanks 1 user thanked Jean-Francois Jacques for this useful post.
specktech  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2022 10:10:21 AM(UTC)
specktech

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Thank you so much Tim, I really enjoyed reading the history of this software. Everyday I figure out some little trick that makes the program even more amazing. I always go back to your videos, and the tips and tricks guide. And find some little trick to take it farther. Thank you so much. p.s. Wonder if you could ever make any more tutorials of the advanced surface modeling tools and techniques. Thanks again Tim. "Thanks for that history timeline Posh de"

Edited by user Thursday, December 15, 2022 10:26:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MPSchmied  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2023 7:16:23 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Originally Posted by: posh.de Go to Quoted Post

https://www.posh.de/wcms/produkte/sharkcad/historie/ wrote:
TurboCAD Mac and TurboCAD 2D/3D
This confused me, because only the Turbo CAD Mac is the same Code-Stream like SharkCAD and not TurboCAD 2D/3D.

Edited by user Saturday, February 25, 2023 7:20:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm