logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Brian Crowe  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 2, 2009 9:53:04 AM(UTC)
Brian Crowe

I have a problem importing 3ds files, an dthe end result is ViaCAD 2D3D 6 application unexpectedly quitting. My source for the problem files is:
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/...ces/3d-models-index.html

My process to import is to select Import from the FIle menus, and select the 3ds format in the list. I have tried to import both with and without the options for this format.

So, anyone with any words of wisdom? Maybe I am doing something wrong - I am not infallible, but it seems that it is intended to be a pretty simple process in ViaCAD to do this...

Thanks everyone for reading.

Brian
zumer  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 2, 2009 5:37:18 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Any particular model, Brian? I have their Space Shuttle model in VC right now, took the default options and had no problems.

murray
Brian Crowe  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 2, 2009 7:59:12 PM(UTC)
Brian Crowe

Hi Murray,

Thank you for your reply. I started with the first file on the NASA multimedia 3D page:
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/...esources/assets/MRO.html
This file crashes the VC application on my computer (Mac dual G5 processor).

Since I posted my problem, I have tried several other files - it is hit and miss... Some DO work and import fine, and some do not. An e-mail today with someone who is much more experienced than I am suggested that the problem 3DS files may have textures defined that are difficult to interpret in applications other than 3D Studio. That issue has apparently surfaced with regard to translation of 3DS to DXF in at least one application, and works only for the new revision of the DFX specification.

So, it may be as simple as that - a feature of the object that is not supported by VC's translator library...

Thank you again for replying Murray - I would be interested to know if you have the same problem I do with that specific 3DS file.

Regards,

Brian
zumer  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 3, 2009 12:31:31 AM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Brian, I'm using VC5 here at work on an ancient PC, but I don't think it's anything to do with machine spec. This file also crashed VC here, but it opened into an older version of TurboCAD that I also have loaded here, so I resaved it as 3DS from TC and zipped it, without textures or whatever to reduce the file size. I use both programs because in my experience, there are lots of variations from differing sources and exporters and no one program handles everything, all the time. VC handles IGES from another program I use much more competently than TC, and re-exports IGES that TC doesn't crash with. Horses for courses.

murray
File Attachment(s):
MRO1.zip (1,453kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Brian Crowe  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 4, 2009 12:37:45 PM(UTC)
Brian Crowe

Hi Murray - file imports just fine. Thanks for your report on your experience and for your tips, too.

Best regards,

Brian