logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Art  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:45:32 AM(UTC)
Art

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I am trying to export drawings or parts to a vendor who has the latest version of Autocad and nothing that I have sent him has worked.

This is making me look very amateurish and is embarrassing.

Does anyone have any reliable method to produce a simple 2D DXF drawing in autocad?

Should I go back to Concepts Unlimited or something else? I do not ever remember having this problem and I am at the end of my rope.

Art

Macintel Shark FX
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2008 12:10:11 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Art

What version of dxf or dwg are you export as? You can download DWG Trueview from autodesk its free and check your files before sending them.

Jason
Windows 11, 10
Tim Olson  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2008 2:27:22 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
Art wrote:
I am trying to export drawings or parts to a vendor who has the latest version of Autocad and nothing that I have sent him has worked.

Does anyone have any reliable method to produce a simple 2D DXF drawing in autocad?

Should I go back to Concepts Unlimited or something else? I do not ever remember having this problem and I am at the end of my rope.

Art

Macintel Shark FX

Art,

Can you private email a file that is not working?

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
ttrw  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2008 2:54:06 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Art wrote:

Art, it seems there is only one reliable method and that is to simply sketch it in AutoCAD in the first place- especially if your client's copy of ACAD is up to date.

I am really sorry for you- this is absolutely awful, and I can understand why you are pissed, but I can assure you mate this is a problem that is worldwide (I was actually discussing this exact problem yesterday with the second head of department).

Tim, perhaps this could be a good time to look at an extremely compromised version of VC/Shark that can be used as a reliable freeware viewer (both 2D and 3D)? I know that the Shark demo can already be used that way, but it is a lot of mb's just to download to look at one sketch.
unique  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:17:14 PM(UTC)
unique

Art wrote:

Art

Macintel Shark FX

Art,

What type of geometry is it ? ...curves (what type), surfaces etc ??

Export settings can have an effect have you tried tailoring that side.
jol  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:54:44 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Odd as it may seem, I think I remember having most luck with ACIS (SAT) when going to ACAD

Haven't tried for ages so may be like my "all my ex girlfriends were supermodels" delusion
Art  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2008 4:39:02 PM(UTC)
Art

Thanks to everyone for all the thoughts.

I checked into Trueview and unfortunately it is only PC.

As far as the geometry the parts are extremely simple. One is a small flat plate with a few holes and two radiused sides.

Tim, I will send you the files.

I am also interested to know if this is related to the lack of good quality files for eDrawings.

Thanks to everyone!

Art
ttrw  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2008 5:44:37 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Art, just one more thing before I nod off, if I remember rightly, there was a trick I learnt when importing Acad files, type 'regen' into the command line, then type 'y'. I think that was it. Basically this told acad to regenerate an imported file which came from another source, and it did work, but I can't remember if that was the only thing or not. - I'll look it up tomorrow and get back again. Okay?

Tom
ttrw  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2008 5:48:40 PM(UTC)
ttrw

ps that should be non acad files into acad (dxf/dwg)

Btw, I'm typing on my iPod so editing things is a bit crazy!
Art  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 9:04:50 PM(UTC)
Art

I have been able to get some 2D files into AutoCad if they click on the tab "Layout 1". Autocad lite still only gets a blank screen.

Still not too impressive.

Art
Tim Olson  
#11 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2008 1:22:50 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
Hi Art,

I was ok with the files you sent. You may want to call/email tech support. Our tech support guru Todd is familiar with AutoCAD.

We use DWG TrueView from AutoDesk to check if a DXF/DWG file is valid.

Regards

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Art  
#12 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2008 5:30:43 PM(UTC)
Art

I have spoken to Todd more than once on this issue. I should not paraphrase him but I believe that his response was that the DXF/DWG export was "problematic".

Art

I had a buddy of mine work on it last night and he was able to get a 2d dxf to work (in autocad) by clicking on "layout 1" in the lower left corner. He was unable to get anything into Autocad light. So perhaps the "layout 1" is the answer to the original question.