logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chromecat77  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 5:41:14 AM(UTC)
chromecat77

I'm using ViaCad for modeling solid objects for my 3D rendering projects. In my current workflow I convert the objects to STL meshes in VC, and export them as Wavefront or DXF r12 files.
There is some postwork involved because the faces of the converted objects aren't welded, and when I apply smoothing (Catmull-Clark subdivision for example), the faces fall apart. I have to weld the faces manually and set edge creasing in the 3D application (Carrara in my case). With a complex object, this can be rather tedious.
I know that I can change the resolution of the objects before converting them to mesh, but is there is a better way to create smoothable objects in VC?
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 8:56:48 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chromecat77 Go to Quoted Post
I'm using ViaCad for modeling solid objects for my 3D rendering projects. In my current workflow I convert the objects to STL meshes in VC, and export them as Wavefront or DXF r12 files.
There is some postwork involved because the faces of the converted objects aren't welded, and when I apply smoothing (Catmull-Clark subdivision for example), the faces fall apart. I have to weld the faces manually and set edge creasing in the 3D application (Carrara in my case). With a complex object, this can be rather tedious.
I know that I can change the resolution of the objects before converting them to mesh, but is there is a better way to create smoothable objects in VC?

You might want to try exporting Wavefront OBJ files. This format was introduced in ViaCAD V6. OBJ includes a normal per vertex that is extracted from the underlying NURB. Plus it includes a check box whether to explode faces or keep them as a group. You might want to uncheck this to keep the faces welded together.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
chromecat77  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 3:03:51 PM(UTC)
chromecat77

You are right, thank you, wavefront export keeps object faces together. I export the solid as a wavefront object, then I import it to Carrara. Then facet boundaries are correctly creased. What I noticed is that there are a lot of duplicate vertices that causes all kinds of anomalies. Luckily, Carrara can remove them and then the mesh is fine.

I now realized that some problem occurs when I convert the solid object to mesh by changing the object type. The solid is converted to a couple of meshes which show up as a individual parts and not a single continuous mesh.
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 3:16:32 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>What I noticed is that there are a lot of duplicate vertices that causes all >>kinds of anomalies. Luckily, Carrara can remove them and then the mesh is >>fine.

We generate facets per face which means you will get duplicated vertices along shared edges. The vertices are duplicated because the normal associated with the vertex may be different. Is that where you are seeing the duplicated vertices?

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Steve.M  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 3:23:37 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I now realized that some problem occurs when I convert the solid object to mesh by changing the object type. The solid is converted to a couple of meshes which show up as a individual parts and not a single continuous mesh.

You will get that from any nurbs package when outputting meshes.

Attempting subdivision on a mesh can have problems unless the mesh as good topology with quads.
What type of modeling are you doing?
I also use carrara for importing models from VC to render.

- Steve
chromecat77  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 3:56:59 PM(UTC)
chromecat77

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
>>What I noticed is that there are a lot of duplicate vertices that causes all >>kinds of anomalies. Luckily, Carrara can remove them and then the mesh is >>fine.

We generate facets per face which means you will get duplicated vertices along shared edges. The vertices are duplicated because the normal associated with the vertex may be different. Is that where you are seeing the duplicated vertices?

Tim

Yes. Then I assume this is normal behavior. Once again, thanks for clarifying things.
chromecat77  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 4:02:34 PM(UTC)
chromecat77

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
You will get that from any nurbs package when outputting meshes.

Attempting subdivision on a mesh can have problems unless the mesh as good topology with quads.
What type of modeling are you doing?
I also use carrara for importing models from VC to render.

- Steve

Just some hobby projects, any solid objects. To tell the truth, I'm still learning this. I try to find objects that I can create with my current skill level, learn in the process and have fun doing so.

It's good to see a fellow Carrara user here in the ViaCad forums :).
Steve.M  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 4:19:35 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi,

Just some hobby projects,
Same here.
To tell the truth, I'm still learning this. I try to find objects that I can create with my current skill level, learn in the process and have fun doing so.
There is a lot to learn in VC, but just taking it one step at a time is the way to go.(I dont think you can stop learning when using an application such as VC)
I have been thinking of trying to get a WIP thread going, so that we can build models showing different stages and share how we do it (or even showing possible problems found during certain stages). I am currently playing around and building a chess piece(Knight)

It's good to see a fellow Carrara user here in the ViaCad forums :).
I do like Carrara, I also use Hexagon.

- Steve
chromecat77  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 8, 2009 2:55:14 AM(UTC)
chromecat77

Hi,
I have been thinking of trying to get a WIP thread going, so that we can build models showing different stages and share how we do it (or even showing possible problems found during certain stages).

This sounds like a good idea to me. Looking at other's workflow is a very good way for learning. Screencasts like those provided with VC would be great to see things. It would be really nice to have vids of modeling items in VC from start to end, as the current VC vids are focusing on feature presentations, mostly.

I am currently playing around and building a chess piece(Knight)

I'd be glad to see your work, then.

I do like Carrara, I also use Hexagon.
- Steve

I'm using Hex too. It would be a very potent tool if DAZ could fix the pending issues. I'm waiting for 2.x?/3?, but not with bated breath, though.
chromecat77  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 8, 2009 3:17:03 AM(UTC)
chromecat77

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
>>
We generate facets per face which means you will get duplicated vertices along shared edges.
Tim

Knowing the limits in this area, I feel a sudden burst of featuritis...:D
Would it be possible to [get a feature to] generate continous meshes in VC (in a technical sense, at least)?
Steve.M  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 8, 2009 6:02:44 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi,

An option you may want to try?

Output from Viacad in "Step" format. This when you import into Carrara will give you various options for the creation of the actual mesh inside Carrara.

- Stem
chromecat77  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 8, 2009 8:08:06 AM(UTC)
chromecat77

Hi,
An option you may want to try?

Output from Viacad in "Step" format. This when you import into Carrara will give you various options for the creation of the actual mesh inside Carrara.
- Stem

That would be fine, but extended CAD formats support is a Pro-only feature and I have only Carrara Standard 6 :(.
Steve.M  
#13 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2009 8:28:06 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Ah, sorry, I did not think of that.

In hindsight, I should of only purchased the standard. I dont use the modeling tools in Carrara.

How are you doing with the obj export?

- Steve
chromecat77  
#14 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2009 2:20:26 PM(UTC)
chromecat77

Pretty good, thanks for asking... with export objects, tweaking them in Carrara, I can get good renders, like with this test.

You've mentioned working on chess pieces... any progress with them?
chromecat77 attached the following image(s):
image4.jpg (31kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Steve.M  
#15 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2009 7:17:30 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Looking good there.

You appear to be picking up VC very well.

I did make a chess knight. I posted a screen grab and a quick render. The model could of been made better, but it was a good learning exercise. I was not actually thinking of making all the other pieces, but if you are interested, maybe we can build some of the others between us on a thread? I can post the base that I used so we can keep that consistent, then just see how it goes. (No problem if you dont have time or not interested.)

- Steve