logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2014 2:36:09 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 25 post(s)
When will it be possible to:

-- bring along the layer names and layer organization of copied/pasted items
-- copy and duplicate layer structure
-- cut and paste layers (branches, layers, and sub-layers)

For me, it is a massive amount of work to sift through and restore to appropriate layers the amount of geometry I create, repuporse, and transplant within a file and across other files.

It would be an enormous time-saving, Zen-like experience if Shark and VCP finally would have this capability. Some may think I'm asking a lot, but it is something that should not be impossible since the geometry, layers, and info are in virtual databases. The only possible internal hitches in the App might be if the users transplant layers having insanely-duplicated names across sub-layers. To guard against this risk in the even I wake up one day and read that there is a backwards-compatible patch for this dream of mine, my sublayers have pre-pended names and suffixes that help identify things. this was partly forced on me because the Inspect is non-stretchable. Given the complexity of my models, using coded short names would create havoc later on, and so it is important that layer names clearly state what they are. That makes names long and if prepended, nested layer names appear, I have to:

-- Go to the Select Mask
-- Hide all layers but the one I'm hunting down
-- Unhide or undo the action

It would be nic, also, if the names of geometry in selection would appear in some of that wide, unused space to the right of the XYXZ coordinates bar.

It would also be nice if a retro-patch would:

-- allow tearing off of the Select Mask or Inspector to produce a few "management palettes" so that instead of hopping all over the layer tree, losing one's place in deeply-nested layers and geometry, the user can ad hoc specify his/her top 5/current work set of layers. Each could drop-down as necessary relevant info for the geometry being worked on. They could be strips beneath the upper info bar.

Each management palette could be possibly square or resizable in shape, and each could display the dimension, mass props, colors, and valid selection tools for the geometry "in selection"

Also, it would be nice if multiple but separate selections were posssible. This thing about thinking the users can only select one item or a group, but not treat each selection separately goes way back to the beginning of windows. It should be possible to multi-selectt without having to hold a modifier key, only to lose previous selections if the key is not properly held down. (Recall the past when some users attempted to work witih two mice. Imagine pens supplanting the second mice, rationalizing things...)

With a top-five objects management palette, the user could enable/inhibit each palette, and assign and de-assign, again, ad hoc, geometry that, if brought into better focus -- especially on large screens -- could be visually/holistically dealth with. Every re-focus and de-focus is an opportunity to cause the CAD operator to lose concentration.

SO the user is not confused, a dotted ray or assistance leader could:

-- point to the geometry the MP is currently handling
-- cause the managed geometry to pulsate/glow/fade-unfade (system/RAM/CPU -dependent)
-- move the management palette closer to the geometry

For multi-screen setups, much of this could be shifted to a second or 3rd screen if the user has that kind of money/flexibility.