logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2009 10:53:22 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Pretty kewl.

Say, i wonder if it is ok to burn demos/trials and videos of ViaCAD & ViaCAD Pro to DVD (with unofficially approved art or labeling or maybe none) and pass around, to help generate more accessible "buzz". But, when i think about, it would only be different in the lack of boxes and manuals.

But, since the trial will time out, is it OK. I feel like it would be useful. Is Punch! pressing trials on DVD and inserting into magazines? I imagine they'd charge, so if it's cheaper, maybe we users can do it.
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2009 11:01:25 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hehe. I wonder what Solidworks make of that? :eek:

More here
Tim Olson  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2009 12:59:37 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
FYI the vast majority of these units are homedesign but we continue to make good progress on the CAD side.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
ttrw  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:12:14 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
FYI the vast majority of these units are homedesign

Well I don't for a minite beleive Solidworks's figures. I think many of the count are old or education licences. I mean, I would have been one of those numbers, as I had a student edition, which lasted 2 years.
Steve.M  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2009 3:03:58 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
FYI the vast majority of these units are homedesign but we continue to make good progress on the CAD side.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I came across VC by accident last year, it was linked in another forum. The 2d/3d was to me quite powerful although quite buggy. A lot of work as gone into fixing up the bugs which made me show support by upgrading to Pro. As more bugs are fixed I think VC/shark will do well IMHO.

- Steve
jdi000  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2009 3:16:15 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
I came across VC by accident last year, it was linked in another forum. - Steve

Tim

I really feel like the PunchCad products still are not saturating or tapping into all the markets it could. I like Steve only found them because of someone mentioning them in another forum.

Even the ViaCAD video was impressive to watch when its linked right on the web page.(still not linking correctly) ViaCAD 2d/3d I think more links to videos avaliable on every product page would be nice.

Everyone I show the software to buys a copy, but they never heard the name before I told them.

Thanks
Jason
Windows 11, 10
Steve.M  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2009 3:52:15 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

In my work I use whatever CAD/CAM they have in house. I have not yet come across any with a seat of VC/Shark.

Currently with VC, I use this for home hobby modeling. I do make many different models, most of which are for friends who cannot find a model or cannot afford to make a purchase of a model. It can be quite interesting and brings up new challenges.

With the surfacing in VC pro/shark there are numerous anomalies, even some Tim cannot appear to resolve in building with Shark, as I found on this thread
Now until there is actually some full explanation of the error popups, such as "U and V are in the same or opposite direction" and ways to avoid these errors, then a lack of understanding will force new users away (IMHO)

I would like to see VC/Shark do well, but there are still some basic functions that can cause hair loss.(due to pulling it out)

- Steve
ttrw  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2009 4:28:19 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post

I would like to see VC/Shark do well, but there are still some basic functions that can cause hair loss.(due to pulling it out)

Sorry Punch, but I must say, that at the moment, I couldn't agree more. I needed to get my pulley drawings done for a client by tommorow. I had a week to do it, and still by today, I was pulling my hair out in frustration- I even downloaded VC2D after reading elsewhere on the forum that this version worked better than ViaCAD pro- which it did, until VC2D decided to crash (I've got the crash log if you need it), loosing my work. Today I had to change to a more well known CAD this afternoon, just to get the job done.

If Punch has really hit 3 million, can Punch not hire another couple of software engineers to really get this software to sing? You guys are up against Solidworks and SpaceClaim, which are far easier to work with and use. I really agree with Steve here, that many are simply going to walk away from VC or Shark, if these little nitpickings aren't properly dealt with, and just use the heavyweights again.

I also can't stop thinking (as an observation/ opinion) that perhaps Punch should drop a lot of its CAD titles and just concentrate on one or two versions, rather than the current 6 or so. Maybe things would get fixed a little quicker, or at least not get so forgotten. IMHO, Shark has come an awful long way since I first started to play with the demo of CU, and it's looking much nicer and more polished these days,- but there is still far to go.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 11:12:57 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Well, i know what makes me tear out MY hair, and that's often AutoCAD. When i try to loft surfaces or fair hulls, i keep having my display (by the default settings in ACAD) just insist on showing me innumerable meshing, which freezes up my screen, hangs the mouse a fraction of a second, and is just plain stupid implementation of display technology. That stuff may be fine for working on some items of geometry.

When i tried TurboCAD for lofting, TC 3d v 14 (IIRC) was stripped of any surfacing other than their n-something meshes, which may be fine for cartographers and those modeling faces, but, again, for my ship hull modeling, it just made me BALLISTIC. Then, they had the gall to say it's available in the Pro version -- which i'd have to have had over $500 to get.

Enter ViaCAD 2D/3D (which, incidentally, i bought the same night as i bought TC 14, at a now-closed/defunct CompUSA store), which i'd eyed on numerous visits over a 3 or 6 month window before CompUSA closed down. I figured, I'm spending $700 on a laptop, more for hard drives, RAM, a bag and such, so if i'm spending ~$129 on IMSI TurboCAD (which i'd tried and failed with ~1992, and DesignCAD, which was too much price for me for year 2007, and was appearing more civil/residential than maritime/naval), surely I can spend $99 on Punch! ViaCAD. Boy was i happy. The surfacing/solids-make work just beautifully as long as my original curves from Delftship are faired sufficiently. I know i could "fair" curves in ViaCAD, but since this is marine design stuff, i may as well get the best hydrodynamic curves out of Delftship and then live with those in ViaCAD. VCPro 6 with surface-surface trimming should be greater now for me than what i could do in VC 2D/3D 6.

But, yes, Punch! would do well to hire 2 or 3 more bug-quashing programmers so Tim can have some breathing room and set up an even better, brighter future for Punch! ViaCAD/CU products.
ttrw  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 2:50:34 PM(UTC)
ttrw

I just pulled this from Macupdate (it's about CU v3);

"Hagen" wrote:
HAGEN seems just a copy of ashlar-vellums series.

no further tools compared with cobalt.

what kind of a label- game should this be ?

for the os x plattform its not usefull to spread

in quantity, there is a demand for a parasolid

based app, maybe combined with acis :

a true cad-cam application, strong enough to

compete with ironcad, solidworks and :-) catia

Well? Where is all the info about Shark and ViaCAD, Punch dudes?? There's nuttin' there! :confused: :confused: :confused:
Steve.M  
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2009 3:13:49 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

With this report of 3 million sales, I was half expecting to get a coupon with a percentage off the cost of upgrading to celebrate :) [SIZE="1"]checking mail again quickly lol
[/SIZE]

- Steve