logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 7:20:56 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 23 post(s)
1. Would it be possible to change the way the Annotation features work?

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to stop my dimensions from entering existence as .0083xx size. I even re-imported the .dxf into a new .vc3 file that I created using the template. I want there be an ACAD-like standards changing mechanism so that I don't have to resort to going to the Dimensions Layer and globally changing text size. Same with leaders or arrows.

Not trying to knock ViaCAD. I like it so much that I suffer anxiety when I try to do anything in TurboCAD, even though TC has numerous button (compact/much smaller and space-saving...).

2. I also would like for dimensioning in 3D to be a little easier. I managed to work some things out, but am still having a tough time and so far seem to have to turn off some snaps.

3. And, is it possible to allow us to change the View Mode to combine the parts we like best in each of Mechanical View and Aerospace View? I spent hours fiddling with shortcuts, then modifying my Mechanical shortcuts only to realize that I LIKE Aerospace, except I like Mechanical's default/hard-coded ortho view. Or, is there a way I can create an ortho view that responds to my shortcut?

4. I noticed that i should not copy/paste in a Lotus 1-2-3 (don't know about OpenOffice's Calc nor about ms excel) into ViaCAD and then hit "save". Fortunately, VC is FAST and managed to dump for me a file that contained my pre-save edits. WHEW. THAT is good coding, though.

Thanks!
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:59:46 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
ZeroLengthCurve wrote:

Not trying to knock ViaCAD.

Knock away! :D I also think this text size thingie needs to be addressed too asap- Font size should be set and held, and then updated depending on sheet size. Tim, those 'hidden' yellow lines have also gotta go! ;)

If I can squeeze some time in this week I'll throw some examples together explaining where I think model to sheet is going wrong :)
unique  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:17:37 PM(UTC)
unique

Quote:
If I can squeeze some time in this week I'll throw some examples together explaining where I think model to sheet is going wrong

Hi Tom,

Im going to be testing that myself starting tomorrow hopefully.....please do share your thoughts on what you feel can be improved:)
ttrw  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:45:06 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Well for starters, hidden lines on the vertex (shown in yellow) is an ISO standard no-no (well according to the head of the engineering/ drafting department). Reason being is that in orthographic 3rd-angle projection drawing, the model is rotated so 3 different sides are viewed- helping one 'see' where openings, holes, whatever are.

I'd also like an option to kill the gradient background in a 2D view and have just plain light grey or something else (Jason's dark blue etc etc)?

I'll repost in a new thread later.
Steve.M  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2008 10:05:51 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi ttrw,
ttrw wrote:
Well for starters, hidden lines on the vertex (shown in yellow) is an ISO standard no-no
Are you saying hidden line should not be shown, or that they should not be shown in yellow?

ttrw wrote:
Reason being is that in orthographic 3rd-angle projection drawing, the model is rotated so 3 different sides are viewed- helping one 'see' where openings, holes, whatever are.
Hidden lines show hidden details, without that hidden detail you would need a minimal of 6 views (2 for each axis)

- Steve
ttrw  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2008 3:00:49 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Steve.M wrote:
Hi ttrw,
Are you saying hidden line should not be shown, or that they should not be shown in yellow?

Hidden lines show hidden details, without that hidden detail you would need a minimal of 6 views (2 for each axis)

Hi Steve, Paul and everyone else :)

First, I would like to ask who has had training in industrial orthographic draughting/ sketching, because that would help getting a grip on what is going on. (my internet connection is not good here either- and I'm off to the beach with the kids in an hour or so- so bear with me).

Steve, ansering your first question, there should be no colour whatsoever in 2D orthographic drawings because the outcome is to inform (and this is based on a 'military' style code of practice) only. So taking into consideration that the simplest of plotting is either an A4 piece of paper and an HB pencil and a rubber (eraser). OR a plotter/ printer that ONLY contains black ink. I really don't know why Tim chose Yellow, because even printing yellow on a white background is bearly visable too :confused: .

Hidden lines are shown as black dashed lines (and NOT in yellow), whereas axis are shown as black dash-dot lines. AutoCAD often shows different layers in different colours because the background is black (although this can be reversed), it is far easier to 'see' drawings on a black background (this is my and many others opinions).

By using dashed black lines where you are 'seeing' through a model, it is possible to 'see' through a solid object, drawn in 3 views;

1. Top

2. Front

3. Right side

If you look in Shark/ VC you'll find that these are the standard default views; command- 1, 2 and 3.

If sketches are done this way then you only need 3 views to see the 3D object in 2D. It is also impotant that you can visualise in 3 dimentions- easily, as this helps a lot.

I'll post some examples soon. (Once I sort the Wi-Fi out in this house!- there are no CAD programes on this computer- Only Outlook express and IE- it's a Pentium 2 running windows 98!!!)
Steve.M  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2008 7:24:04 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi ttrw,

ttrw wrote:
First, I would like to ask who has had training in industrial orthographic draughting
I did at college, but that was nearly 30 years ago.

ttrw wrote:
Steve, ansering your first question, there should be no colour whatsoever in 2D orthographic drawings because the outcome is to inform (and this is based on a 'military' style code of practice) only. So taking into consideration that the simplest of plotting is either an A4 piece of paper and an HB pencil and a rubber (eraser). OR a plotter/ printer that ONLY contains black ink. I really don't know why Tim chose Yellow, because even printing yellow on a white background is bearly visable too :confused:
Plotters/ printers can/will ignore color within a drawing and simply print all as black, but do agree that yellow is a bad choice of color and did actually think I would of been able to change that default within the settings and hope it will be changed so it can be defaulted to a different color.(while I have playing with the model to sheet, I have changed the background to gray)

ttrw wrote:
Hidden lines are shown as black dashed lines (and NOT in yellow), whereas axis are shown as black dash-dot lines. AutoCAD often shows different layers in different colours because the background is black (although this can be reversed), it is far easier to 'see' drawings on a black background (this is my and many others opinions).
How hidden lines / center lines are presented (and I dont mean color) is not down to opinion, it is down to standards. Personally I would only expect color changes made due to the layer used and those colors fully definable by the user.

ttrw wrote:
By using dashed black lines where you are 'seeing' through a model, it is possible to 'see' through a solid object, drawn in 3 views;
Well yes, that is what I put forward as I did think from your post that you where putting forward that you had been informed that hidden lines should not be shown

ttrw wrote:
If you look in Shark/ VC you'll find that these are the standard default views; command- 1, 2 and 3.
It is standard for the 3 views, it is just a case of what projection is used (1st /3rd) as to where the views are placed in a 2d drawing.

ttrw wrote:
If sketches are done this way then you only need 3 views to see the 3D object in 2D. It is also impotant that you can visualise in 3 dimentions- easily, as this helps a lot.
There should be no "if".

I know there have been a lot as changed over the years, even to a point where at (quite a lot of) times there is no projection views created, a 3d model is sufficient and is actually what is wanted.

ttrw wrote:
I'll post some examples soon.
Should be interesting.

- Steve