logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bmeissner  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 4:05:15 AM(UTC)
bmeissner

Hi Tim,

I'm trying to understand the different handling between several formats when exporting:

- FACT and STL: Detailed segment length/angle settings possible on export
- VRML and OBJ: Output resolution only depends on object resolution setting (some fixed levels), nothing to set on export.

Why is there a difference? Applications like FormZ allow the same level of control for all export formats. Which sounds logical, because facetting smooth geometry before exporting is a common task for all the formats mentioned above.

If there's nothing that really prevents this (technically) from working, I'd appreciate the full-featured export settings dialog to be available for all the polygon formats.

Regards,
Bernd
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:12:31 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Hi Bernd,

Yes agree, all facet export options should provide settings to the user.

As a work around until I can do something, use the Edit:Change Object Type to Mesh, adjust you settings, then hit cancel. It will apply the settings to the selected objects.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
bmeissner  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2009 3:22:14 AM(UTC)
bmeissner

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
Yes agree, all facet export options should provide settings to the user.

As a work around until I can do something, use the Edit:Change Object Type to Mesh, adjust you settings, then hit cancel. It will apply the settings to the selected objects.

Hi Tim,

thanks for considering this enhancement.

Interesting workaround, anyway. This means that facetting parameters are stored with the object, even if (by cancelling) I do *nothing*? Well, for now it's really helpful, but would it be wrong to call it a bug? :D

Bernd
jol  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2009 8:08:16 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Bernd .. I have a similar one that is very annoying

Setting the perspective, click 'cancel' and things do not return to how they were pre-dialog box

I'd consider 'cancel' should well cancel any changes made in a dialog box .. as they otherwise alter future workflow (yours included)
Tim Olson  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2009 8:26:56 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Quote:

This means that facetting parameters are stored with the object, even if (by cancelling) I do *nothing*? Well, for now it's really helpful, but would it be wrong to call it a bug? :D

Bernd

We store an integer value on the objects that represent fine, medium, etc. Fine, medium then map into a group of associated settings which then drive the acis meshing which is stored on the object. You can change these associated settings by the resolutions.ini file.

I probably wont change the behaviour as people are using it not only for exports but for photorendering.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
bmeissner  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2009 8:38:58 AM(UTC)
bmeissner

I probably wont change the behaviour as people are using it not only for exports but for photorendering.

Tim,

even if you keep it like this while working on the file within ViaCad/Shark (no problem for me so far), it would still be nice to have these settings available/editable on export, as currently implemented for FACT and STL :)

Bernd
Tim Olson  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2009 8:48:02 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Originally Posted by: bmeissner Go to Quoted Post
Tim,

even if you keep it like this while working on the file within ViaCad/Shark (no problem for me so far), it would still be nice to have these settings available/editable on export, as currently implemented for FACT and STL :)

Bernd

Yes, I think I will keep the cancel behavior and add the dialog mesh parameters to all facet exports.

Thanks

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Tem  
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:36:09 AM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Instead of cancel, how about "add mesh density to object" with a yes/no apply option.
A Yes answer adds new mesh density to object, a No answer retains mesh settings from before.

Tem
bmeissner  
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2009 6:19:45 AM(UTC)
bmeissner

Originally Posted by: Tem Go to Quoted Post
Instead of cancel, how about "add mesh density to object" with a yes/no apply option.
A Yes answer adds new mesh density to object, a No answer retains mesh settings from before.

It wouldn't even be wrong to go one step beyond… make the mesh density part of the displayed and editable object properties. In FormZ ("Display Resolution") or IronCad ("Surface Smoothness") you have direct and permanent access to these parameters, without invoking a dialog that does something else (i.e. converting to a mesh). "Cancelling" usually is not understood as "apply parameters, but don't do the last step", so Tem's proposal is a good one. But then a second point is important:

The substance is already there, the mesh dialog contains everything that is needed, and the parameters are stored (invisibly) with each object. But - bummer - the current parameters aren't read out and displayed if they are set once (by cancelling) and the same dialog is opened again later. You can't read out what the current object settings are, and thus cannot edit them as usual (change one parameter, instead of starting at the beginning).

So maybe more users could appreciate the present functionality for setting rendering and export parameters, if they had a direct and reproducible access to the parameters available :)

Bernd
bmeissner  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2010 8:38:45 AM(UTC)
bmeissner

Yes, I think I will keep the cancel behavior and add the dialog mesh parameters to all facet exports.

Hi Tim,

meanwhile I have upgraded to SFX v7, but I still don't see the promised mesh parameter dialog for the file formats mentioned above (VRML, OBJ). Why?

Bernd