logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jlm  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2007 4:26:52 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Change arrow size, change standard layouts, change arrow size, change standard layouts, change arrow size, change standard layouts, change arrow size, change standard layouts, change arrow size, change standard layouts, change arrow size, ...

It always changes!

I know my prefs will be saved one day, but I still don't understand how it works.

It isn't the first complaint about that...
JL
chipmaker2  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 7:52:34 PM(UTC)
chipmaker2

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have just purchased the program and I ran into the same problem as you're having. I am able to make the dimensions look the way I want but can't seem to create a style that I can click on for a certain scale or situacion. I have resorted to using the eyedropper tool also. I created a style and can't seem to erase it or modify it like the drop down window warns when you go to save it.
Maybe I just need to learn more about the program. I would really like to be able to delete a style after it is created.

My solucion for now will be to create a template drawing with different possible dimensions and styles on a layer. I will keep that layer shut off until I need to anotate and then turn on the layer and use the eyedropper tool to copy the formating to the needed dimensions. In a tutorial that comes with the program there is shown is a way to keep the text at say 1/4" for example. But that does not scale the rest of the dimension parts arrows ETC. Maybe this work around (Use of templates) won't be necessary if someone has a better solution or if I can create a style that works. I just don't want to create too many styles that won't work and clutter up my styles drop down menu. Maybe once I am more confident I will attempt it again(create dim styles) and see if it will work for me they way I want.
I really like the program.:)
Good luck
Regards
jdi000  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:33:22 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
chipmaker2 wrote:
I have just purchased the program and I ran into the same problem as you're having. I am able to make the dimensions look the way I want but can't seem to create a style that I can click on for a certain scale or situacion. I have resorted to using the eyedropper tool also. I created a style and can't seem to erase it or modify it like the drop down window warns when you go to save it.
Maybe I just need to learn more about the program. I would really like to be able to delete a style after it is created.

My solucion for now will be to create a template drawing with different possible dimensions and styles on a layer. I will keep that layer shut off until I need to anotate and then turn on the layer and use the eyedropper tool to copy the formating to the needed dimensions. In a tutorial that comes with the program there is shown is a way to keep the text at say 1/4" for example. But that does not scale the rest of the dimension parts arrows ETC. Maybe this work around (Use of templates) won't be necessary if someone has a better solution or if I can create a style that works. I just don't want to create too many styles that won't work and clutter up my styles drop down menu. Maybe once I am more confident I will attempt it again(create dim styles) and see if it will work for me they way I want.
I really like the program.:)
Good luck
Regards

Chipmaker

The Standards manager lets you delete any of you user created dim standard see pic

Have you tried the check box scale values with text size?

You can modify and resave a user created dim standard as much as you want.
Here's what I do, maybe not the best but give it a try:
1.Create new user style, change the values you want here, and save exit manager
2. Select user style from Dimension Standard Layout
3. Pick all the item you want to stick in that style font, font height, arrow type, arrow size, dimension type, tolerance, number of decimal places dim, angle , and tolerance type.
4. Open standards manager and save.

Regards
Jason
jdi000 attached the following image(s):
stdmgr.JPG (49kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Windows 11, 10
chipmaker2  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:19:02 PM(UTC)
chipmaker2

Hi Jason
Thanks for your help.
I named my first style ANSI trial spelt exactly like that. I can't delete it, as the delete button is grayed out. I tried other names and stayed away from using a standard names such as ANSI or DIN in my description of my style. And those styles I can delete no problem. "Thats Good".
I will be trying the method you mentioned above and see how it works out.
I'll let you know how it works for me.

What I discovered today;
If you pick dimensions left to right the dimensions automatically display above picked points. Pick dimensions right to left and they display below the pick points. That seems to be the case for all but ordinate dimensions.

For ordinate dimensions they seem to always appear above the pick point regardless. To move them down below the pick points use the deep select tool to select and drag the dimensions down.

Also I learned that selecting a group of base line dimensions and draging them to a desired location keeps the spacing between the different dimensions intact but moves the whole in or away from the drawing object.

Thanks again Jason for info!
Chuck
jdi000  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:27:40 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
chipmaker2 wrote:

What I discovered today;
If you pick dimensions left to right the dimensions automatically display above picked points. Pick dimensions right to left and they display below the pick points. That seems to be the case for all but ordinate dimensions.

For ordinate dimensions they seem to always appear above the pick point regardless. To move them down below the pick points use the deep select tool to select and drag the dimensions down.

Chuck

Hi, Chuck
Good observation on left to right right to left its same for top to bottom.
Try using the align tool on dimensions, esp. Ordinate dimensions, you are using v6? Then you can align all at once to the same location.

It would be nice to be able to flip the ordinate dimension left or right up or down say right after you place the dimension while still highlighted with hitting ctrl or something, but the align tool really takes care of ordinate dimensions.

Thanks
Jason
Windows 11, 10
chipmaker2  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2008 8:47:55 PM(UTC)
chipmaker2

Hello Jason
To answer your question; I am using V6.
I have set up my styles as far as dimensioning goes and all is working well. Whew!
I think the thing that may through a new comer when it comes to dim styles in Viacad, is that once the style is set the pen styles, text size, and color are set independently of the style. (For the sake of any reader looking at this thread the defaults are set with the a dim tool selected but no dim selected as shown in the video tutorial)As an previous Autocad user I am not used to that but it's ok once I know.
Your tip about using the alignment tool for ordinate dimensions also worked out very well for me.
I have written a few articles for the Machinist Workshop Magazine (I am a hobby machinist)and dimensioning is very important for me. I was quite concerned at first but with a little help and lots of hacking away, I now feel I am in good shape.
Back to work,
Best regards,
Chuck
jlm  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 31, 2008 4:06:20 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

So bad!
I just spent a hell of time putting dimension on 3D solids.
Just one example : my solids are small and I must adjust text size for each dimension before screen captures ...
-select the correct workplane
-add a dimension
-menu "ObjText">>>Size >>>User
-tick "points"
-set to "2", or "3"...
-OK
-Then, "dimensions" menu >>> standards layout >>> standards manager
- Change "ext gap", offsets, etc...
- save
- validate "This operation cannot be undone..."
- close standards manager
-Then again to"dimensions" menu >>> standards layout >>> select my own standard that I just changed,
- "Obj pen" menu, change color...

This is real everyday's experience.
I know it's a bit easier on model to sheet.
Maybe I'm the only one to put dimensions on 3D views :confused:

It could be so cool with a dimension palette on the side of my screen...
jlm  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 12:15:02 PM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Will V6 have a turbo ?