logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RC-Modeller  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2008 7:47:41 PM(UTC)
RC-Modeller

Hello,

I have a question, does anybody use an Microscribe 3D (older version of Microscribe) on an Intel Mac with SharkFX? I think about buying a used one for hobby purpose.

Does it work at all?
Do I need a special driver?
What is your experience?

Thanks,

Hans
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2008 10:14:40 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>microsribe on an Intel Mac with SharkFX?

FYI, MicroScribe does not provide drivers for intel mac. (I'm working on them to support it) You need to run in PPC mode for it to work. Also be sure to have the latest version as we recently made some corrections to the microscribe interface.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
RC-Modeller  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2008 8:31:47 PM(UTC)
RC-Modeller

Thank you Tim!

Let me recap:

Microscribe does not provide Mac-Intel suport yet! So I need to run them using Rosetta?

Additionaly I need to have the newest version of the MicroScribe drivers (MUS) to be on the save side that it works at all?

So it might be better for me to get a new MicroScribe, to get full support from the local distributor (Germany/Austria). Additionally I don't have to deal with probable RS232/USB conversion issues!

Tim can you please verify, thank you very much!

Hans
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:51:26 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>Microscribe does not provide Mac-Intel suport yet!
>>So I need to run them using Rosetta?

Correct. I talked to Immersion the other day and they said they will start working on support for intel macs shortly.

>>Additionaly I need to have the newest version of the MicroScribe drivers >>(MUS) to be on the save side that it works at all?

We install everything you need. You may need mus if you put in a different tip that the scribe is not calibrated for.

>>So it might be better for me to get a new MicroScribe, to get full >>support from the local distributor (Germany/Austria). Additionally I don't >>have to deal with probable RS232/USB conversion issues!

I've only worked with USB versions of the scribe. So my commments above are relavant to USB scribes.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
RC-Modeller  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 22, 2008 7:11:14 PM(UTC)
RC-Modeller

Thanks Tim!

I will get a new one with USB support!

Best regards

Hans
RC-Modeller  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 5, 2008 12:40:42 PM(UTC)
RC-Modeller

Hello Tim,

I finally got my Microscribe G2LX (new with USB) but Shark does not recognize any movements or positions.

Brief description:

Computer:

Apple MacBookPro 17" Core2duo OSX 10.5.2 4 Gig Ram
Shark V5.0.0 Build 741

Microscribe G2LX New with USB

As you already mentioned: I started Shark FX using Rosetta (including reregistration), I hooked up the Microscribe and homed the device. Next I opened the Microscibe toolbar and tried to start the Micrscribe session using the connect tool. In the connect tool non of the movement of the microscribe were recognized by Shark FX. So I was not able to go through the aligment procedure.
I tried several times varying the procedure, hook up and home Microscribe first, the start shark.....

Finally I hooked up the Microscibe to a PC and run the included test software to see if the Microscribe works at all. I have not found any problems with the Microscribe using the test tool on a PC.

What do I do wrong?

Thanks for your time,

best regards

Hans
Tim Olson  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 5, 2008 2:36:37 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>What do I do wrong?

Checking....

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
RC-Modeller  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2008 9:07:34 AM(UTC)
RC-Modeller

Thank you Tim!

Best regards

Hans