logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tim Olson  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:36:53 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>Can I be nosy and ask why are you
>>joining these curves together if they already touch?

If you are making a skin or a net surface, each section must be one continuos curve.

>> IMO joining two curves with G0/G1 cont. should not effect the structure or >>density of the curve, it should just modify a few cv's here and there - Tim ?

When we join a curve, the result is G2. The fitting algorithm throws in tons of points to keep the nearby tolerances. Downstream solid modeling operations do not liking working with non continuous curves.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
jol  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:10:04 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Tim .. can I suggest a short term measure ..

let's throw a dialog up saying that the 2 curves are not curvature-continuous .. and the resulting derivative may be overly complex .. suggest adjusting tangency first

!?
unique  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 2:08:35 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
>>The isolines resolution option is behaving correct. Curves are calculated at constant u,v locations across the surface. The UV locations are divided up based on the number you are requesting. I use isolines frequently to really see what's going on with the surface, in particular how smooth it is or if there are any degenerative locations in the surface.

Well okay then....but take the VC3 file attached, I would have expected to see the same isocurves in VC when lines are set 1/1 - see image from Rhino this looks consistent with the point structure of the curve whereas VC doesn't somehow ??

I think what you may be asking for is some way to see the actual control vertices as curves which I would find useful as well.

Not sure what you mean here. Maybe I have answered this above.

I look forward to your comments
File Attachment(s):
example.vc3 (14kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
unique attached the following image(s):
example.jpg (14kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
unique  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 2:45:03 PM(UTC)
unique

>>Can I be nosy and ask why are you
>>joining these curves together if they already touch?

If you are making a skin or a net surface, each section must be one continuos curve.

I will never like the current "join" it is way too restrictive and I have no control over the result !!. If I want to join 2 or 3 curves which are G1, I expect the curves to remain indentical when joined, so that if I choose to explode them back to their original state they become the same three curves.

>> IMO joining two curves with G0/G1 cont. should not effect the structure or >>density of the curve, it should just modify a few cv's here and there - Tim ?

When we join a curve, the result is G2. The fitting algorithm throws in tons of points to keep the nearby tolerances. Downstream solid modeling operations do not liking working with non continuous curves.

Tim

Thats surely a bad move...tons of points means complex noisy curves, building heavy geometry which will slow things up and when pushed downstream will surely cause even bigger problems....:confused:

Why cant we keep simple clean stuff please?