logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
unique  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 4:06:10 AM(UTC)
unique

Is there anyone using CFDesign analysis software in here.
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 4:52:38 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
http://www.cfdesign.com/Home.aspx

?

Looks good! Are you suggesting partnering Shark?
unique  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 5:46:52 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
http://www.cfdesign.com/Home.aspx

?

Looks good! Are you suggesting partnering Shark?

Im just interested to hear if anyone is using this particular product with PunchCAD or any other CAD system for that matter...
tmay  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 8:09:59 AM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
Is there anyone using CFDesign analysis software in here.

First of all and as of March 30, I'm in a lease with option to purchase (with 100% credit) CfDesign Basic or Advanced by mid-December. After that, I take a 20% hit on the credit. The lease lets me use Basic and Advanced (there's a higher level Motion module as well) and I get interfaces to both Solidworks and Pro/e inside each of those apps. I don't have the ACIS interface, and I'm pretty sure that you would have to run CfDesign in a standalone mode for SharkFX.

To backtrack a bit, I have had good success importing SharkFX ACIS models into both Pro/e WF 4 and Solidworks, though Featureworks in SW lets me create a feature based solid from a bulk solid imported from SharkFX with minimal effort.

So the answer is that I could bring the SharkFX file in through SW or WF 4 and run the analysis, but as of now, not directly.

I'm interested in using CfDesign mostly for thermal/flow studies of electronic packages for a couple of the customers that I do machining for, kind of as a value added service.

tom
ZeroLengthCurve  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 11:35:09 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
ZeroLengthCurve  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 11:36:23 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
tmay  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 11:44:51 AM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: ZeroLengthCurve Go to Quoted Post

All of the above are ACIS based. Tim had a comment in the threads one time to the effect that in his opinion, ACIS held its own against Parasolids, and is in someways superior.

tom
L. Banasky  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 12:51:59 PM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 100 post(s)
>>>
I think Ironcad uses both ACIS, and Parasolids.
Larry
unique  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 4:24:30 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: tmay Go to Quoted Post
First of all and as of March 30, I'm in a lease with option to purchase (with 100% credit) CfDesign Basic or Advanced by mid-December. After that, I take a 20% hit on the credit. The lease lets me use Basic and Advanced (there's a higher level Motion module as well) and I get interfaces to both Solidworks and Pro/e inside each of those apps. I don't have the ACIS interface, and I'm pretty sure that you would have to run CfDesign in a standalone mode for SharkFX.

To backtrack a bit, I have had good success importing SharkFX ACIS models into both Pro/e WF 4 and Solidworks, though Featureworks in SW lets me create a feature based solid from a bulk solid imported from SharkFX with minimal effort.

So the answer is that I could bring the SharkFX file in through SW or WF 4 and run the analysis, but as of now, not directly.

I'm interested in using CfDesign mostly for thermal/flow studies of electronic packages for a couple of the customers that I do machining for, kind of as a value added service.

tom

Tom - Thanks for the reply and im interested in hearing more.....For the record im only looking at the product with a view to purchase but I just thought why not ask in hear first;)

Are you importing into ProE or SW from Shark....just because it interfaces with CFDesign or because it creates a feature based solid. I dodnt think it needed an intelligent solid seeing as it meshes the parts for CFD ??

How does it seem so far ?. Im looking to run thermal/flow tests on our mould tools to try and optimize coolant trant design and benchmark my final model..
tmay  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 5:05:16 PM(UTC)
tmay

Tom - Thanks for the reply and im interested in hearing more.....For the record im only looking at the product with a view to purchase but I just thought why not ask in hear first;)

Are you importing into ProE or SW from Shark....just because it interfaces with CFDesign or because it creates a feature based solid. I dodnt think it needed an intelligent solid seeing as it meshes the parts for CFD ??

How does it seem so far ?. Im looking to run thermal/flow tests on our mould tools to try and optimize coolant trant design and benchmark my final model..

Were it not for the lease, I would have ended up waiting another 6-9 months until I had the cash, but this will work out to be a pretty good deal as it probably will end up being the same total cost, plus a year's maintenance starts at the time of purchase.

Assuming that you have one (or more) of the MCAD apps that CfDesign supports, I would argue that this is a pretty smooth way to go. There doesn't seem to be any particular advantage to a feature based system, unless there are a lot of physical parameters that you would alter. I still am quite happy creating individual models in Shark, but I prefer the assembly modes of SW and Pro/e.

One interesting note, is that CfDesign is setup to output some data (pressure/temperature as an example) directly to Pro/e WF 5's simulation app, Mechanica, to use for loads. I suspect that SW Simulation Premium will be supported in the future.

Regretfully, I have installed CfDesign, but I have been so busy machining, that I haven't had time to even run through any of the tutorials, though fortunately, one of the tutorials is quite similar to one of the amplifiers that I want to simulate.

I just wanted to reiterate that Shark/ViaCAD models will work fine with CfDesign if you can launder them through one of the supported MCAD apps. This is true for about any app that supports ACIS import.

tom
unique  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2009 1:00:47 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: tmay Go to Quoted Post

I just wanted to reiterate that Shark/ViaCAD models will work fine with CfDesign if you can launder them through one of the supported MCAD apps. This is true for about any app that supports ACIS import.

tom

Hi Tom,

I bought Spaceclaim some 2weeks ago and this works well with CFDesign from what I have read. I am quite pleased with my Rhino, Spaceclaim, ViaCAD combo now :D
ttrw  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2009 5:03:58 AM(UTC)
ttrw

I bought Spaceclaim some 2weeks ago

Yes I too was going that way until John (Milne) mentioned that he had a colleague who uses Ashlar Vellum, and he claims that's better than SpaceClaim! :eek: (yes this shocked John too)

Shark is essentially what Ashlar would have become, so I've decided to give SFX a second go. The outlay for SC Engineer is 1700, upgrades being about a grand each. Then there's this video on Spaceclaiming.com that says a combo of Rhino and SC is a match made in heaven. Well is it? That pushes the price up to 2700, almost up there with Solidworks!

I think if you are part of a company, then a 2700 outlay is okay, but as a freelancer, I really need to cut my losses, which makes Shark, despite it's bugs et al, at 900, the real bargain. Is Shark better than the previous tools? Well yes and no, but it will do pretty much everything that both Rhino and SC will do- at to boot it runs on both major platforms! :D

There's still a lot of work to be done, and it's a shame that many just see Shark as nothing more than some sort of arty 3D modeller- which it clearly is not.

edit; This is what I mean (from http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/030806.html)

Quote:
ViaCAD Pro includes translators for several CAD file formats (proprietary and open), as well as imports for Rhino, BMP, and Google SketchUp, and exports for OBJ and VRML.

Where are the .SAT, STEP DWG and IGES exports? Not to mention Pro/E import translators. The article is more geared up for the 3D Studio Max brigade :(
tmay  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:42:39 AM(UTC)
tmay

Hi Tom,

I bought Spaceclaim some 2weeks ago and this works well with CFDesign from what I have read. I am quite pleased with my Rhino, Spaceclaim, ViaCAD combo now :D

Since I'm kind of committed to both Pro/e and SW, I'm pleased that Shark complements those both quite well (parasolids import/export please!). I've read that CoCreate is a bit stronger in that niche, but only because it has been around for so long. I'd be interested to know what yearly maintenance is for Spaceclaim.

Spaceclaim is an excellent choice for molds, and you will find CfDesign very useable with Spaceclaim. Curious if you looked into any Moldflow stuff? (very pricey I know)

Rhino on mac will be a must have for me when it comes out sometime next year.

BTW, what is your primary CAM package and how well does Spaceclaim work with that?

tom
tmay  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:47:36 AM(UTC)
tmay

Just wanted to throw in that parametrics is almost a necessity for analysis and optimization, but otherwise, and with good assembly tools, I don't see why anyone wouldn't be happy with SC/Cobalt/Shark/ViaCAD...over SW/SE/Pro/or whatever. Easier to learn and use and much more WYSIWYG design.

And generally less expensive.

tom
NickB  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2009 11:00:46 AM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The issue for me is not the capabilities of the tool (SW, ProE, Shark etc) but the interoperability / how clean the hand off is at he end of the project to the molder or draftsperson with their 'faultless' version of SolidWorks.The last project that I worked on turned into a nightmare of finger pointing and accusations at the handoff because of some errors in both the SAT and STEP versions of the file when imported into SW.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
unique  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2009 3:20:59 PM(UTC)
unique

Yes I too was going that way until John (Milne) mentioned that he had a colleague who uses Ashlar Vellum, and he claims that's better than SpaceClaim! :eek: (yes this shocked John too)

What a load of Bol*&%cks !! Ashlar couldn't strike a light to Tims product never mind Spaceclaim....that made me laugh..sorry!!!:D:D I should have asked john last week when he called it at our place :cool:

Quote:
Shark is essentially what Ashlar would have become, so I've decided to give SFX a second go. The outlay for SC Engineer is 1700, upgrades being about a grand each. Then there's this video on Spaceclaiming.com that says a combo of Rhino and SC is a match made in heaven. Well is it? That pushes the price up to 2700, almost up there with Solidworks!

I think if you are part of a company, then a 2700 outlay is okay, but as a freelancer, I really need to cut my losses, which makes Shark, despite it's bugs et al, at 900, the real bargain. Is Shark better than the previous tools? Well yes and no, but it will do pretty much everything that both Rhino and SC will do- at to boot it runs on both major platforms!

The interface GUI and workings of Shark is in a different league to that Ashlar over priced over rated cr*%p

Just my 0.02pence
ttrw  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2009 3:37:57 PM(UTC)
ttrw

No mate, you've completely missed my point :mad:

I'm talking about when Ashlar Vellum was Tim!! :D

Anyway, ask John if you don't believe me. :)
ttrw  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2009 3:42:31 PM(UTC)
ttrw

The interface GUI and workings of Shark is in a different league to that Ashlar over priced over rated cr*%p

Unfortunately, if you ask most people- and this is in my experience, you mention VM, and they say - "Yes heard of that". "What Shark? What's that??".

My old university still uses the old format Ashlar in the design dept. When I mentioned the all new VC/ CU, they all drew blank faces. I gotta go back there and enlighten them when I get some spare time :D
ttrw  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2009 3:45:51 PM(UTC)
ttrw

PS, Tim also did TurboCAD too, until recently. Again, mention TC versus Shark, same old story. :(
NickB  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2009 4:24:51 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
PS, Tim also did TurboCAD too, until recently. Again, mention TC versus Shark, same old story. :(

Which all goes to show that marketing is king, and perception equals reality, which is exactly why SolidWorks has such a big market share - marketing, marketing, marketing.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc