logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
unique  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2009 12:36:37 PM(UTC)
unique

Surface Analysis tools, particularly curvature & draft angle and show scenarios of how the user can check an object. Audio would be nice on the movie to explain the effects ?

Tim / Nick can you oblige please:)
markb57  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2009 9:55:54 AM(UTC)
markb57

I like that idea, and more...

I am finally starting to use ViaCAD for a real project, rather than just messing around in my spare time exploring features and doing the simple tutorials. I am modeling a V-8 automotive engine block. The thing I am struggling with the most is locating features where I want them. I find I have almost never snapped to where I thought I had. Navigation, in general, is a challenge, once the model becomes somewhat complicated.

I'd like to see a tut (or several) of a fairly complicated project. It might have several possible philosophical approaches to solution, and I'd like to see/hear a discussion on why one approach was taken, and as the project develops, what would be different if another approach was taken. To some extent, I realize, this is a general modeling discussion, but it would be great to see it applied specifically to ViaCAD. It should involve using multiple construction lines in different planes, creation of different user planes, solving tight navigation problems, etc.

Finally, one question - If I upgrade to VCad Pro will navigation get easier? It does not look like it from what I read (it looks like more features, not navigation aids), but maybe I have missed something?

I'm frustrated, because it feels like there is more in ViaCAD than I have been able to get. out of it.

thanks,
markb
zumer  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:54:30 AM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've just put some fresh bits into the home server/desktop that give it more oomph, and it made a big difference in navigation compared to the laptop I normally work on, purely because it responds so much more quickly.
I don't find any use for construction lines in feature based modeling at all, especially with the logicursor. In any circumstance, finite-length lines, rectangles, or circles and multilines are much more useful because of placement by direct data entry, and multiple snap features - and their snap features can be enhanced by other actions like filleting. Try that with a construction line.

I think that Shark's new path duplicate normal to surface tool could be used as the basis for tangency verification tools. It's not as convenient as SolidWorks' verification feature, but it could be developed that way. A cool tool.