logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Steve.M  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 5:06:44 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello all,

Just thought I would make a thread so we could all get to know each other.

My background
I was born in Liverpool UK, we moved to preston (for my dads work) in the early 70s and when I left school started and completed an apprenticeship at Rockwell International (greenbank street preston,... better known as "Gosses"). During that time I gained full city@guilds at preston/tuson college.
I took voluntary redundancy from rockwell around 1984 and went back to college taking up cnc programming, this then led to employment as a cnc programmer for the hyde group in Manchester(uk) which actually introduced me to cad, which was Autocad, version 2 I think, I know it came on one floppy disk, and at that time the PC was a 386sx,.. I remember having to talk the boss into the purchase of a math co=processor so I could run autocad, the 386 had something like a 4 meg HD with an expanded memory of 1 mb,... lol, those where the days.
From there I took up many contracts at various places around the uk for various, such as for touring cars (BMW) F1(various) Aircraft ground/flyers(UK) and have had a very interesting time, mostly due to the learning I have made due to this.

Enough for now, dont want to bore :D

Regard to all,

-Steve
zumer  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:05:04 AM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Well, since you've started it, Steve.... I was born in New Zealand and emigrated to Australia in the late '70s. I started with computers with a Timex/Sinclair and then a TI until IBM compatibles came along. (Dear Mr. Texas Instruments. Please rebuild my computer. I'm claiming it as a warranty job due to your misrepresentation. I took it apart but there were a lot more than eight bits inside....) Was always intrigued by graphics and first learned to create virtual 3D shapes with POVray. Assembling a scene by command line, limited preview, then having to reduce the colour depth to look at a preview-like result afterward because VGA is 8-bit graphics was frustrating. Then found a shareware CAD program called ProtoCAD and learned a lot with it. Then a number of other CAD programs that were all trying to be AutoCAD, and used AutoCAD at work, from R8 or 9, I think. Started using TurboCAD around version 3, which was 2D only, but TurboCAD grew up and changed completely for the better. Started looking at CU when V2 was new, but too expensive for me back then, so thanks Punch! and Tim for ViaCAD. Not delirious about the interface, but like some tools that aren't available elsewhere. Between VC and TC, lots of bang for the buck. Both apps do things the other doesn't, but ACIS transfer is seamless. My boss encouraged me to go get some qualifications, so, two years distilled, what I actually learned was how to layout and print hard copy with AutoCAD and adherence to standards for those sheets, but they gave me certification for other stuff I already knew. I bought a CAM version of TurboCAD and learned some CNC coding with that, but haven't used that industrially, only to run homemade routers and small mills. Have used CAD for commercial/industrial design, consumer product design, patent illustration, user guide/manual illustration and layout, reverse engineering and scale modelling. CAD's something of a passion to me, as well as a work tool, and it's been the one skill I have that's been used in every place I've worked.

Murray (pls excuse typographical diahorrhea. Computer-taught touch typing too)