logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
satox  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2009 3:50:21 PM(UTC)
satox

Develop3D.com reports:

"Autodesk is making the Alias line of products available on the mac OS X platform. THIS, is HUGE news. There's also been work done on packaging (it's got new bundle and naming), new STL output, new rendering and materials tools and a lot more control over surfaces."

Now, let's see if this is vaporware (like NX), or the breakout product for the Mac!
tmay  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2009 8:41:01 PM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: satox Go to Quoted Post
Develop3D.com reports:

"Autodesk is making the Alias line of products available on the mac OS X platform. THIS, is HUGE news. There's also been work done on packaging (it's got new bundle and naming), new STL output, new rendering and materials tools and a lot more control over surfaces."

Now, let's see if this is vaporware (like NX), or the breakout product for the mac!

No longer vaporware...

http://go.cadwire.net/?67460,1,1
satox  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2009 11:12:13 PM(UTC)
satox

Sounds great!

But as it has only now just entered Beta, and as it is crippled (no CAE???), I will reserve my happiness...
ttrw  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 1:08:22 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I wouldn't hold your breath about Autodesk that much- as it seems the applications it is 'porting' were already available anyway (Maya?).

Sorry to be so cynical- but unless I see "Autodesk porting AutoCAD to Mac', then I'll sit up and pay attention.

Good news about NX6 though. It was the lack of VB in Excel that had stumped Siemens before. I'm hoping that they were able to find a solution to the problem :D
tmay  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 10:00:19 AM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: satox Go to Quoted Post
Sounds great!

But as it has only now just entered Beta, and as it is crippled (no CAE???), I will reserve my happiness...

NX 7 most likely will, and the NX 6 base package with CAM is probably $20k anyway, with another $10k at least for for CAE.

Buy the full suite, and you might be looking at $50K/$60K.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 5:28:55 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
It would give me one less reason to need vista (but i'll probably end up using or obtaining win7 to make up for the speed and possible other issues in vista...)...
unique  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 6:04:33 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: ZeroLengthCurve Go to Quoted Post
It would give me one less reason to need vista (but i'll probably end up using or obtaining win7 to make up for the speed and possible other issues in vista...)...

Just curious....whats wrong with XP it's by far better than Vista and more stable, better drivers etc...God knows what win7 will be like as Vista ws a proven disaster!
Tem  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 11:42:48 AM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have used a Mac for most of my computing experience.
I have used Win 3.1, 95, NT, 2000, XP and now Vist Biz x64.
This last version runs on my Xeon tower (MacPro) and I find it to be the best version yet.
There are some annoying behaviors, I will spare yall the detils, but it works for 2 Apps that don't yet run on the Mac, Groove and some other CAD program. The drivers issues are not issues for me yet. I have not yet run SHarkFX on this version of vista but I think it would be quite solid. I do remember Alias from my University days, and it ran very smoothly on much nimbler hardware thanks to its UNIXy OS and fat pipes for the time. Anyway, I haven't used any form of Alias since 1997. My experience with Rhino and now SharkFX, some other mCAD program, Cinema4D and Hypershot has filled up my studio space and then some. Alias lagged in bringing over a Mac version, and now there are much more affordable solutions. Oh, wait, how much is Alias anyways? If its US$5K or more (with that annoying license fee every year), then I think they have missed the mark, especially in these times. Just my $2 (Inflation & exchange rate adjusted of course) ;
ZeroLengthCurve  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 2:34:25 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
Just curious....whats wrong with XP it's by far better than Vista and more stable, better drivers etc...God knows what win7 will be like as Vista ws a proven disaster!

I was thinking it might be hard or impossible to obtain a legal/legit copy of XP, unless i buy from some site that claims it's legal. I don't want a second-hand copy that could be still in registration with another person.

But, i run vista in VirtualBox, in Mandriva Linux. I just upgraded Mandriva Powerpack 2008.0/1 to Mandriva Free 2009.1, and in KDE 3.5 ViaCad running in vista screams along fairly well. In KDE 4.1 with 3d or compositing, ViaCad moves frame by frame. But, i'm concerned that since XP predated my Gateway P-6301, i might not get drivers i need for it out of VirtualBox. I don't need sound out of vista, so really all i need is graphics and... well, graphics. I don't surf via windows AT ALL (well, except at work, where i have no choice), but for all else, i surf using Firefox, Konqueror or Opera, and even in xp pro at work, i use Firefox and Opera, and hardly use ie 7 except to test a few web pages for rendering.

Cheers!
jol  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 2:46:40 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Having worked in car studios, I'm a big fan of Alias Studiotools .. it ran first on Irix so the Mac port was likely much quicker than the Windows port. It's still way too expensive though. It's also terribly complex and the way it handles history is horrible. It's useless for bodies, but I wish we had some of it's surfacing tools .. they don't get better.

(you can still get a free version from their site to "learn" from if you fancy - but mortgages aren't easy to come by these days .. so you probably wont be buying it soon)
tmay  
#11 Posted : Saturday, March 7, 2009 7:19:37 PM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: tmay Go to Quoted Post
NX 7 most likely will, and the NX 6 base package with CAM is probably $20k anyway, with another $10k at least for for CAE.

Buy the full suite, and you might be looking at $50K/$60K.

This is lame (read this from one of the Siemens people on Eng Tips)

NX 6 for Mac will be using Motif. No version for OS X...and only design and drafting this release; the rest will be determined later, if ever, as a "business" decision.

Yet another pretender bites the dust.

tom