logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ttrw  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:43:32 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
A year back, an English, female Solidworks rep (yes you know who you are, wherever you are!! :mad:) told me that SW's was coming to Mac OS X and was going to be announced at the fall of 2008 in Barcelona, Spain. Well that turned out to be a bit of a turkey- and left me feeling rather cold about Solidworks Corp in general.

Now I've come accross another rumour- this time in print about Catia, and Dassault's decision to port to both Ubuntu and Mac OS X (ZeroLengthCurve? :D ).

Hooray. (As they say)...... notice no exclamation mark! I'll believe it when it happens!! lol! :mad:

anyway, here (for the nerdishly inclined);

http://mac.develop3d.com/2009/0...-catia-v6-coming-to.html

(nice new site for Mac-based designers too :cool: )
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:58:01 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
A year back, an English, female Solidworks rep (yes you know who you are, wherever you are!! :mad:) told me that SW's was coming to Mac OS X and was going to be announced at the fall of 2008 in Barcelona, Spain. Well that turned out to be a bit of a turkey- and left me feeling rather cold about Solidworks Corp in general.

Now I've come accross another rumour- this time in print about Catia, and Dassault's decision to port to both Ubuntu and Mac OS X (ZeroLengthCurve? :D ).

Hooray. (As they say)...... notice no exclamation mark! I'll believe it when it happens!! lol! :mad:

anyway, here (for the nerdishly inclined);

http://mac.develop3d.com/2009/0...-catia-v6-coming-to.html

(nice new site for Mac-based designers too :cool: )

Hehehe.... I'm still waiting for VC 6 Pro... but if i could afford Mac hardware i'd seriously consider ditching my 8.75lb, 17" gateway laptop....
ttrw  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2009 10:37:59 AM(UTC)
ttrw

8.75lbs??? :eek: That's almost as insane as my Compaq Presario R3000!!!!

I'm about to buy another PC (I got two already- both are supposed to have higher GHz, but are actually slower than my Mac!!- go figure :confused:), but it doesn't matter what PC I get (probably a Dell Precision desktop), it'll always be horrible- due to windose!! Why don't you get a secondhand Mac? I've always bought them secondhand (well apart from this one- which was given to me- yes given! :D). I've got an Intel 17" iMac. That was 400 (including iLife/ iWork). Bargain!!
NickB  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 11:38:10 AM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Or a . . . . .

Hackintosh

If you chose the right hardware its reliable and easy. I just built one to use as a media center. Next step is to build a workstation with a Core i7 and hack a high end graphics card into a Quadro FX.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
ttrw  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 3:41:20 PM(UTC)
ttrw

I was going to mention a Hackintosh, but thought not- so I wouldn't get into trouble- but oh heck, everyone else is doing it so ......?

I'm seriously thinking of a Hackintosh for my next computer. Ideally you want to be able to swap out the drives, to have the best of both worlds.
Tem  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 11:59:26 PM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
My baby girl weighed less than 8 pounds when she was born.
Your laptop weighs more? However, it will probably cost you less over its lifetime than my little girl.
NickB  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2009 1:04:12 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Tom,
The hack I built has a three bay hot swap capability. I used one of [URL="http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product04.php?cl_index=2&sc_index=5&ss_index=12&num=2"]these[/URL] from Lian Li the three bay one was about $70. I am building my own case, but there are cases available that have hot swap capability built in although they are on the pricey side.

Software also exists to allow you to duel boot OS X, Win, Linux.

If you are really interested in building a hack PM me and I will try and point you in the right direction. Everything works fine with 10.5, but who knows what will happen with 10.6 in a few months. My guess is everything will continue to work, but it might be wise to hold out before taking the plunge.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
ttrw  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 5:41:32 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Nick, this article I found, may be of interest;

http://i.tuaw.com/2009/04/27/ro...-the-hackb00k-is-a-fail/

I thought it was all too good to be true :(